The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Kiszla: No reason to wait for Broncos' McDaniels to succeed

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_15095130

Interesting piece, Kiz admits that he likes McDaniels and he sees the Broncos coach sharing some of the same traits that many great coaches had, also points at some similarities between McDaniels and Shanahan that McDaniels is criticized for.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Anything less than winning the AFC West this year must be considered a failure by the Broncos.
What a douche ... first he says he likes Josh, so now wtf is that?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post

Interesting piece, Kiz admits that he likes McDaniels and he sees the Broncos coach sharing some of the same traits that many great coaches had, also points at some similarities between McDaniels and Shanahan that McDaniels is criticized for.
So interesting you didnt post it....
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
So interesting you didnt post it....
I thought Taco changed the rules to where we weren't supposed to post full articles and rather summarize them.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
What a douche ... first he says he likes Josh, so now wtf is that?
Huh? I'm confused Casey.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
I thought Taco changed the rules to where we weren't supposed to post full articles and rather summarize them.
He did but nobody follows the rules here.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
I'm confused Casey.
Not surprised.

(couldn't resist )

He says he likes Josh and expects big things, then throws an over-the-top expectation on him.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Oh, now I get it ... you think winning the division is a reasonable expectation.

No way. Watch when the prediction come out ... we'll be consensus 2nd or 3rd.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

Wow, anyone you guys know been beating that concept to death around this forum for the last year?

As usual, it always takes the mainstream media a little longer to catch on.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Of all moves Mcdaniels made so far, I'm pretty happy with the Tebow pick.

On paper he's made some nice moves bringing what I feel are good players on the DL; at least for the next two years. I'll be happier if he can add some youth via the draft to build our DL for the future.
That said, yeah, this is his year. Hardly anybody's left from the Shanahan era from the offense standpoint. This is McDaniels' team no doubt.

I said this year is his year. He's not rebuilding, he seems to be reloading. Adding vets and a few draft picks here and there, dictates that.

I'm looking forward to this season. I'd like to see a fair battle for the QB position.
I want the best guy to truly get a fair shot to win the job regardless of his place in the depth chart...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Oh, now I get it ... you think winning the division is a reasonable expectation.

Right, because columnists and forum goers are so accurate at predicting ANYTHING in professional sports.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

It would be pretty funny if you guys missed the playoffs for the fifth straight year.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
It would be pretty funny if you guys missed the playoffs for the fifth straight year.
No with Tebow at the helm we won't...
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Right, because columnists and forum goers are so accurate at predicting ANYTHING in professional sports.
Well, predicting us to win the division is an out of the box longshot. It really is.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
He says he likes Josh and expects big things, then throws an over-the-top expectation on him.
Quote:

I think it's a more than reasonable expectation. Why should I care what the predictions say? How many of those had the Jets making the AFC Title Game? Or the Ravens before that? Now you know I'm a huge McD fan, but last years 8-8 season was a failure to me and if the team doesn't win the division this year I will also consider it a dissapointment. The Broncos are marching out what should be the deepest 53-man roster since 2005 with a squad full of team-first players that are smart, tough and fit well into this system. In their second year of this system with a solid team approach led by good teachers on the coaching staff and now devoid of distractions and malcontents - I will certainly consider this season a dissapointment if the this group of 53 men doesn't win the division, a failure if they miss the playoffs.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
I think it's a more than reasonable expectation.
Wow, optimism is like a reflex with you. I like that, actually (though it's a bit predictable).

Okay, our O-line is in shambles and we lost Marshall and Scheffler, together about 1/3 or more of our offense. On defense, the D-line has been upgraded spectacularly, no doubt ... but the LBs have regressed some and the secondary is a year older, and none of the starters can possibly be expected to improve at this stage of their careers (though the pass rush might improve them).

Plus we finished '09 as perhaps the worst team in the league.

I'm fine with optimism, but I think there has to be limits imposed by reality.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Well, predicting us to win the division is an out of the box longshot. It really is.
Not really if our defense can hold up a whole season and our running game improves, which it should. We won 8 games last year with possibly the toughest schedule in the NFL. Alot of players now have a year in the system, and from the looks of things we have a much easier schedule this season.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Wow, optimism is like a reflex with you. I like that, actually (though it's a bit predictable).

Okay, our O-line is in shambles and we lost Marshall and Scheffler, together about 1/3 or more of our offense. On defense, the D-line has been upgraded spectacularly, no doubt ... but the LBs have regressed some and the secondary is a year older, and none of the starters can possibly be expected to improve at this stage of their careers (though the pass rush might improve them).

How have our LBs regressed? Losing Davis? Please. Ayers has a full year under his belt, and we added a veteran 34 backer in Ayodele.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Not really if our defense can hold up a whole season and our running game improves, which it should. We won 8 games last year with possibly the toughest schedule in the NFL. Alot of players now have a year in the system, and from the looks of things we have a much easier schedule this season.
Can't be much "easier" than finishing with the putrid Raiders and chefs at home.

Again, I love positivity, but reality has a way of kicking you in the nads, especially when you ignore it.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
How have our LBs regressed? Losing Davis? Please. Ayers has a full year under his belt, and we added a veteran 34 backer in Ayodele.
You're relying on Ayers? I'm bullish on him too, but pretending he's going to improve the LB corps is quite a reach. I suppose he might, but there's very little evidence to lead to such a conclusion just yet.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #21
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Can't be much "easier" than finishing with the putrid Raiders and chefs at home.

Again, I love positivity, but reality has a way of kicking you in the nads, especially when you ignore it.
Do yourself a favor and compare schedules from this year and last. I'm not saying we are championship contenders, because we aren't yet.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:

I agree. Our OL needs to be solidified. New scheme, new players, good players hurt, etc...
Our defense is also suspect like you've already said. The LB's and secondary would have been something needed to be addressed in the draft, so that's what we've got to work with. The upside is that having a great DL potential with the new players brought in, could make the LB's and secondary's job easier.
As far as losing Marshall and Scheffler; two prominent members of our offense at one point or another, it will only be an issue if Orton remains our QB, in my opinion...

One more thing I'm concerned with about our defense.
Maybe somebody knows the answer...
Does Martindale (sp?) have any experience in the 4-3 defense?
It seems to me he's only worked on 3-4 defenses in his career, no?

Last edited by strafen; 05-16-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I think it's a more than reasonable expectation. Why should I care what the predictions say? How many of those had the Jets making the AFC Title Game? Or the Ravens before that? Now you know I'm a huge McD fan, but last years 8-8 season was a failure to me and if the team doesn't win the division this year I will also consider it a dissapointment. The Broncos are marching out what should be the deepest 53-man roster since 2005 with a squad full of team-first players that are smart, tough and fit well into this system. In their second year of this system with a solid team approach led by good teachers on the coaching staff and now devoid of distractions and malcontents - I will certainly consider this season a dissapointment if the this group of 53 men doesn't win the division, a failure if they miss the playoffs.
I am hoping for 9 or 10 wins. Another year of 8 wins would be a very slight disappointment for me, but not a great one. Josh is still in the phase where most of the expected key personnel are really young. I would not be in favor of their firing unless their is a disaster of biblical proportions this year unrelated to injury issues. Two years of roughly .500 ball is not horribly bad. It's not great and its below expectation, but some reasonable allowance must be made for transition costs. Another year of mediocrity is not enough to justify a firing, IMO, nor would it be a "failure". We are a middle of the pack team in the midst of restructuring lineups and philosophies...I don't think we have the realistic right to expect major things left and right. I think its fair to expect not being a bad team, but I don't think you can expect to be a playoff team. It's a reasonable thing to hope for...we're not far away, we can do it, but I don't have it as a baseline expectation. I think its only fair to the staff that they get a chance to show us what the offense looks like when its replete with McD's key personnel (Tebow, Moreno, Decker, Thomas etc.) actually starting or in a position where they can be reasonably expected to start (ie not their rookie years), so its understandable if we don't transform into an 11-5 team in year 2. Like I said above...a nice goal to have is 9-10 wins and if we're still stuck at 8, its not a disaster or a failure. It's just slightly behind schedule.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 05-16-2010 at 09:46 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and compare schedules from this year and last. I'm not saying we are championship contenders, because we aren't yet.
I'm not denying that ... it just happens strength of schedule is not a favorite stat of mine.

And I'm thinking you forgot the train wreck we were as the season wound down
Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
You're relying on Ayers? I'm bullish on him too, but pretending he's going to improve the LB corps is quite a reach. I suppose he might, but there's very little evidence to lead to such a conclusion just yet.
I'm not saying he is a superstar, i'm saying there is nothing that leads me to believe this unit is regressing when we didn't lose any quality players and Ayers, DJ, Doom, and Woodyard all now have a year in the 34 defense, it doesn't seem logical to me.