The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default McChesney breaks ankle in golf cart accident.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...oncos-lineman/

Wow someone ran into him. What a bummer for the guy. Sounds like he doesn't have it in him to rehab to maybe make a team. I don't blame him really.

Being a Broncos lineman a bit like being the drummer for Spinal Tap right now.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That sucks.

But golf is a very dangerous sport and these guys are professionals who have no business getting involved in it in the offseason...

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Basketball took away one Broncos offensive lineman.

Golf wiped out another.

The only difference between these off-field injuries is Matt McChesney may be done with football for good.

McChesney, a former University of Colorado defensive lineman who had been playing guard and center for the Broncos, is expected to retire after a rolling golf cart left him with a severe ankle injury.

"It was just a freak accident," said McChesney, a former Niwot High School star. "It stinks."

McChes-ney's setback happened roughly a week after Broncos offensive tackle Ryan Clady suffered a partially torn patellar tendon in his left knee while playing basketball April 23.

Although Clady is expected to miss most — if not all — of training camp and the preseason, the Broncos are hoping their all-pro blocker will return in time to be a starter in their regular-season opener Sept. 12 at Jacksonville.

If this keeps up, Broncos blockers might want to seek out a crossing guard before walking across the street.

The offseason injuries to Clady and McChesney, coupled with late 2009 surgeries for Russ Hochstein and Ryan Harris, mean the Broncos' first-team offensive line when they open their organized team activity (OTA) on Monday will likely be Tyler Polumbus at left tackle, Seth Olsen at left guard, J.D. Walton at center, Chris Kuper at right guard and Zane Beadles at right tackle.

Beadles and Walton are rookies who were drafted in the second and third rounds, respectively, and Olsen was a fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft who was inactive for 13 of 16 games last season.

No wonder the Broncos drafted a mobile, linebackerlike quarterback in Tim Tebow.

McChesney, who had a shot to make the Broncos' roster this year as a backup center and guard, had climbed out of the golf cart he was driving to approach his ball. Just as McChesney got out, the trailing cart was driving by and accidently clipped his ankle. It was the same ankle McChesney had surgically repaired after a preseason injury last year.

The Broncos have told McChesney they would like him to try rehabilitating his injury and compete for a job in training camp. But having battled numerous injuries since he was named CU's defensive player of the year in 2004, McChesney appears ready to enter the next phase in his life.

"It's been a long road," said McChesney, who played in three NFL games as a defensive tackle and special-teams player for the New York Jets in 2005 and was on their practice squad in 2006 before he was converted to guard prior to the 2007 season.

Various injuries, however, prevented his development, and he wound up playing in just one game, in 2008 for the Miami Dolphins, as an offensive lineman.
------------

Best to just get out of the way and let a younger, healthier and hungry player get a shot at making the team.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Broncos' first-team offensive line when they open their organized team activity (OTA) on Monday will likely be Tyler Polumbus at left tackle, Seth Olsen at left guard, J.D. Walton at center, Chris Kuper at right guard and Zane Beadles at right tackle.

Ehhhhhhh I almost threw-up reading this...atleast it's early and the younglings get a chance to develope.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Encouraging that Walton is going to get the first crack at the starting center job.

Hopefully he does enough to start.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Who?
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Has Tebow had a chance to look at the ankle yet?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I feel bad for McChesney. He took this season off and did some guest stints on 104.3 the FAN. He talked about how frustrating and grueling it was with the ankle injuries. So having this happen probably is just the last straw.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I figured mayve Tebow would GIVE McChesney an ankle.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

The guy driving the golf cart is a ****ing idiot. It's a golf course for goodness sakes, it's HUGE. All that area to drive and he had to be within inches of another golf cart. It's people like that that don't deserve to drive, PERIOD.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
bombay
Ring of Famer

Harris isn't healthy yet, either?
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Guess he doesn't think his golf cart is sexy.
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

His career is most likely over...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Damn! There goes my adopt a Bronco. Maybe I'm a jinx?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
The guy driving the golf cart is a ****ing idiot. It's a golf course for goodness sakes, it's HUGE. All that area to drive and he had to be within inches of another golf cart. It's people like that that don't deserve to drive, PERIOD.
Indeed. I admittedly did not click the link to read the article, but how does somebody on a golf course hit anything? I mean a tree, a human being, etc. It's not rocket science and there's a ton of real estate to work with.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Damn! There goes my adopt a Bronco. Maybe I'm a jinx?
The curse of the tele-tubby, it is real.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Broncos' first-team offensive line when they open their organized team activity (OTA) on Monday will likely be Tyler Polumbus at left tackle, Seth Olsen at left guard, J.D. Walton at center, Chris Kuper at right guard and Zane Beadles at right tackle.

Ehhhhhhh I almost threw-up reading this...atleast it's early and the younglings get a chance to develope.
What happened to Harris? He's going to be out because of toe surgery? He will definitely be either LT or RT, probably LT by TC. Polumbus will hopefully be relegated to backup duty.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post

Don't judge them quite yet.

Polumbus showed quite a bit of early promise, then took some steps back (especially against the bull rush). The finesse required at LT might just suit him better.

I'm interested to see how this O-line shakes out between now and the first game. Lots of positional battles should lead to better depth (assuming Clady eventually gets healthy).
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote