The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default A Different Kind of Quarterback

A Different Kind of Quarterback

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Tim Tebow is different.

Different from Sam Bradford. Different from Jimmy Clausen. Different from Colt McCoy. Different from Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Different in the sense that in addition to his 9,285 passing yards for 88 touchdowns and just 18 interceptions at the University of Florida, he gained 2,947 yards on the ground with an SEC-record 57 rushing touchdowns. Different because he rushed for a touchdown on a designed quarterback scramble on his first play as a Gator and operated mostly out of the shotgun for the rest of his collegiate career. Different because he was the first player in NCAA history to win the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore. Different because he's a two-time BCS National Champion.

But the truth is every quarterback has traits that make him just as different from all the others.

"Rivers doesn't do it the way that Brees does," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Manning doesn't do it the way that Brady does. Donovan McNabb doesn't do it the way that any of those guys do it. Ben Roethlisberger is different than those five. To me, there's not a carbon copy that's being sold around the NFL."

Rather, there is a set of traits that coaches hope every quarterback possesses.

"You want a guy that is tough and smart, a great leader, has those football intangibles that you're looking for and will work hard to fix some things that maybe he doesn't do perfectly," McDaniels said.

After watching Tebow's tape and meeting with him at the NFL Scouting Combine, in Denver and in Gainesville, Fla., the Broncos were convinced that he fits that description, trading up to pick him with the 25th overall selection in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Tebow is the player who rushed for a 20-yard touchdown on a broken leg at Nease High School.

He is the quarterback who famously apologized to Florida fans after a loss to Ole Miss, promising that "you will never see any player in the entire country play as hard as I will play the rest of the season, and you'll never see someone push the rest of the team as hard as I will push everybody the rest of the season, and you'll never see a team play harder than we will the rest of the season."

The Gators closed the season with a National Championship.

He is the prospect who heard the critiques about his throwing motion, so he worked on it to the tune of more than 900 passes a day to ensure he will be ready for the NFL when his number is called. He said his new technique "became muscle memory a long time ago."

And he is the rookie who vows to do everything he can to prove his doubters wrong, and reward McDaniels and the Broncos for taking a chance on him.

"Just like it was when I was at Florida, my biggest thrill was doing things for Coach (Urban) Meyer, winning championships and being able to help him," Tebow said. "That's going to be my greatest joy in Denver -- to repay Coach McDaniels for believing in me."

Tebow readily admits that he has plenty to work on in order to make that happen. In his first minicamp with the team, he worked to improve on his footwork, drops, cadences, identifying middle linebackers and going through his progressions while in the pocket.

"That is my goal -- I want to be a great pocket passer," the rookie said. "That's something I'm working on. Then if it breaks down and you have an opportunity to do something, you add on with God-given ability."

McDaniels has stated that he expects him to operate out of the pocket just like every other signal caller on the squad. But that doesn't mean the team will limit what made Tebow so successful in college -- if he earns the right to get on the field.

"We are going to try to use the talents and abilities of the players we have to make sure that they are always doing something that they can be successful with," McDaniels said. "If he can do something out of the pocket and he deserves to be on the field -- that's the biggest thing -- then maybe that would warrant us doing some other things."

"I won't deny that he gives you an opportunity to create some un-gameplanned production," he continued. "You draw the play up there on the board and all of a sudden it doesn't necessarily look as pretty as I thought it would, but then he makes it work some other way. There is an element to his game like that."

Some of that un-gameplanned production with the Gators is what helped Tebow generate an SEC-record 12,232 yards of total offense in his career. He averaged 7.25 yards every time he touched the ball, which ranks third in conference history. His 145 total touchdowns broke the previous SEC record by 23 scores. He threw at least one touchdown pass in 38 of his 41 starts, completed 66.43 percent of his passes and racked up a 170.79 pass efficiency rating -- an SEC all-time record.

Coaches have already seen that the rookie's work ethic is exactly as advertised.

"Curfew is like a bad word for him, and it's not because he wants to be in a tavern somewhere," McDaniels said. "We've got a long way to go, but we think that if you put a guy with great work ethic together with some people that -- hopefully we know what we're talking about -- maybe we can make something pretty productive out of it."

The changes Tebow will have to make to succeed at the next level don't faze former Bronco and current NFL on FOX color commentator John Lynch.

"Will he have some issues translating his skills from college to the NFL?" Lynch asked at his annual Salute the Stars Awards luncheon. "Yeah, but so will (No. 1 overall pick) Sam Braford. I just think there's a positive feeling to what's going on around here."

Now the quarterback who closed out his college career by setting Bowl Championship Series records with 482 yards passing and 533 yards of total offense in a 51-24 victory against Cincinnati in the Allstate Sugar Bowl is looking to keep that momentum rolling into his professional career.

Still, Tebow recognizes that all the accomplishments in the world don't make him a sure thing in NFL. He joins a team that has an established starter in Kyle Orton, a former first-round pick in Brady Quinn and a 2009 draft pick in Tom Brandstater already in the quarterbacks room, two of which have a year in McDaniels' system under their belts.

He knows he is going to have to work hard to even be able to compete with those players and earn the respect of the locker room. And he can't wait to get started.

"Now it's just time to push into another gear and just go and grind and not show my face until maybe after my rookie year, to be honest with you," Tebow said. "I'm just excited about that. I'm excited about working, learning and competing, because that's what I'm all about. That's who I am."

One person who believes the rookie can make the jump is John Elway.

"He wants to get better, he wants to learn, he wants to change his release to make him better," Elway told a group of reporters. "I think that any time you have a guy that's that open to learning, and then you've got a guy like Josh, who's a young guy who has coached Tom Brady and Matt Cassel and done a great job with them, I think it's a great relationship. He'll continue to learn. I think Tim is too much of a competitor not to get a shot in this league.

"It will be interesting to see how good he can be."

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Screw it, I'm ready for TC......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
One person who believes the rookie can make the jump is John Elway.

"He wants to get better, he wants to learn, he wants to change his release to make him better," Elway told a group of reporters. "I think that any time you have a guy that's that open to learning, and then you've got a guy like Josh, who's a young guy who has coached Tom Brady and Matt Cassel and done a great job with them, I think it's a great relationship. He'll continue to learn. I think Tim is too much of a competitor not to get a shot in this league.

That's exactly how I feel. I think Tebow will be a great QB, not good, he'll be a great QB.
I'm all for starting him this year. Screw waiting a year or two, let's not kill his drive, his inspiration, and everything he's got going for him right now.
I doubt there's any other QB (rookie) right now, who has done his homework to be ready for the NFL as Tebow has.

You can not possibly put that much work and not be ready.
Here, for Tebow to start the season as our new QB!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

We've got OTA (Organized Tebow Activities) next week, and then TC (Tebow Camp) in July!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
John Elway- "He wants to get better, he wants to learn, he wants to change his release to make him better," Elway told a group of reporters. "I think that any time you have a guy that's that open to learning, and then you've got a guy like Josh, who's a young guy who has coached Tom Brady and Matt Cassel and done a great job with them, I think it's a great relationship. He'll continue to learn. I think Tim is too much of a competitor not to get a shot in this league.

Gotta love that.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I feel like hopping on the Tebow bandwagon for these funny jokes.

Internet meme for sure..
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

That is actually a very pragmatic way to look at Tebow ... his style is different, sure.

Still, I'm thinking toughness and leadership - which he's obviosly loaded with - might not go as far in the NFL as they did in college.

That Hitler video is classic....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I am still not buying the media spin that Tebow is "different" kind of QB. He is athletic kid that played in Spread Option system and was successful. He's no different then Pat White two season ago or Kordell Stewart from decade plus ago.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
DivineLegion
The Surgeon Cometh

Tic' Toc' The Manning Clock

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I am still not buying the media spin that Tebow is "different" kind of QB. He is athletic kid that played in Spread Option system and was successful. He's no different then Pat White two season ago or Kordell Stewart from decade plus ago.
Thats not totaly true. Kordell Stewart had some major mental issues, and Pat White has been on double rats since high school trying to get his weight over 180 pounds (The anti Jamarcus Russell).
DivineLegion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #12
meangene
Ring of Famer

The more I read about Tebow and the quotes coming out about him from Dove Valley, the more I think he earns the starting job from day one. I think his unique skill set will give NFL defenses fits. Clearly, he is the QB of the future in Denver. Teams have been successful with rookie QB's in recent years - it's not like it used to be. The key will be how well the OL plays and the effectiveness of the running game. We can't expect him to carry the team as a rookie but he can be effective if the offense is balanced.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Thats not totaly true. Kordell Stewart had some major mental issues, and Pat White has been on double rats since high school trying to get his weight over 180 pounds (The anti Jamarcus Russell).
But the skills set each of those player brought to the NFL were similar to Tebow. Both average NFL arms, had/have the ability to move outside the pocket and have/had to adapt to playing under center. So neither comparison is that far off.

I also hate to say it but Tebow work ethic is also getting a little to much media hype. There are players coming into NFL and are already there that work their ass off to improve too.

The media and some fans are setting this kid up for a lot of criticism if he doesn't live up to the hype.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #14
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I must say I laughed at McDaniels using the word tavern instead of bar.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Sounds like mock.

Especially if he was talking about Alphonso Smith.

Last edited by broncogary; 05-15-2010 at 06:31 AM..
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #16
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Come on man.
Those comparisons are absurd.
While what you say about any or every QB working hard is true, Tebow has had more to work for than any QB currently trying to make it in the NFL or fighting for a spot rookie or vet.

Quite frankly, he's been on the spotlight and the kid has done nothing but win all his life. He can't win in the eyes of the critics.

There's been QB with bad mechanics that have made it to the NFL and nobody cared. Tebow gets scrutinized for every move he makes.

Tebow in in a class by himself. He's athletic, physical fit, relentless, passionate, inspired, good arm, an improviser, and has a great heart. That's a good tangible/intangible skills combo to have all wrapped up in one person. Not many QB have all of that. You can easily mistake him for Pat White or Kordell Stewart but being a "scrambler" QB doesn't make Tebow one of them. Come on man. That's low!

There's only one way to find out. I like my chances of being right on this one.

Last edited by strafen; 05-15-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

This is a guy that dominated College as Soph... Which is impressive because that makes him 19-20 yrs old. Scary thought, he is not even close to a finished product.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
But the skills set each of those player brought to the NFL were similar to Tebow. Both average NFL arms, had/have the ability to move outside the pocket and have/had to adapt to playing under center. So neither comparison is that far off.

I also hate to say it but Tebow work ethic is also getting a little to much media hype. There are players coming into NFL and are already there that work their ass off to improve too.

The media and some fans are setting this kid up for a lot of criticism if he doesn't live up to the hype.
What were those guys accomplishments in college?

...nevermind
Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

This will become one of the puzzles of the NFL - Why didn't the Jags pick Tebow and at least secure their base and sell all the merchandise? One of the great stupidities in modern NFL business history.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

This will become one of the puzzles of the NFL - Why didn't the Jags pick Tebow and at least secure their base and sell all the merchandise? One of the great stupidities in modern NFL business history.
My guess is they tried to get cute, they thought they could grab him in the second round and were shocked when Denver took him at 25.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
My guess is they tried to get cute, they thought they could grab him in the second round and were shocked when Denver took him at 25.
Ya, well we owed them one anyways..
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
It's gonna be funny week 1 when it's like a Bronco home game with all the Tebow jerseys. If he is starting, it will be even better!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Good points ... I'm not sure about those examples, but there have been many "different kinds of quarterbacks," most of which have failed.

It'd be nice to hear some examples of "different" quarterbacks who succeeded.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Good points ... I'm not sure about those examples, but there have been many "different kinds of quarterbacks," most of which have failed.

It'd be nice to hear some examples of "different" quarterbacks who succeeded.
I used White because he 1) came from same offense system, 2) had very similar stats 3) both were high recruited QBs and 4) both have similar questions about their ability to play QB in NFL.

In the end of the day, it about making plays from the pocket, and the question for Tebow, like any QB coming from this spread-option read, can he do that.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Hard not to like Tebow, he is saying all the right things. I'd love to see him develop the way he sees it going (sitting on the bench learning this year) using him in Wild Horse stuff for now. I'd love for Orton to have a fantastic year. I'd love to see Orton, Quinn and Tebow all on the field at the same time (that's got all sorts of potential). I'd love to see Quinn, Moreno and Tebow all on the field together. This offense has so many mismatch possibilties it's going to be utterly wierd. Add in bigger, better olineman and yah, good stuff.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote