The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Default OT-TV Question

Ok. Getting a nice sized return on my taxes. I currently have a 32 inch Sharp 720p TV. I want to upgrade, have a $1400 budget.

Ideas? We have a Vizio in our living room, it gets the job done. I like Vizio but Sonys and Sharp make good TVs too.

Any downside to getting a 52 or a 55 inch tv?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

If there's light in the room get a LCD if you can block out most of the light, get a plasma. Our living room is pretty bright, we had to get an LCD
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
If there's light in the room get a LCD if you can block out most of the light, get a plasma. Our living room is pretty bright, we had to get an LCD

Have a window right next to where the TV is right now. Direct sunlight only comes through in the morning though.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Ok. Getting a nice sized return on my taxes. I currently have a 32 inch Sharp 720p TV. I want to upgrade, have a $1400 budget.

Ideas? We have a Vizio in our living room, it gets the job done. I like Vizio but Sonys and Sharp make good TVs too.

I'd suggest a Samsung 1080p, 120Hz, LED-LCD set, which can be had for $600- several thousand depending on size. (a 46" 120hz model will run between $1200 and $1500)

Note I said LED-LCD, not LCD. the LED backlit LCD gives a much better contrast, black level and color reproduction (approaching plasma quality) over standard LCD screens.

They are also more efficient and thinner than older LCDs

The downside to a 52 or 55 inch screen is the effective quality of the image is lesser than the smaller sizes for normal TV usage. Regardless of size, the same number of pixels are used for a 30" set and a 55" set. If your room is big enough, it doesn't matter, but if you sit too close to a big screen, you'll start to see the scan lines. The suggested minimum viewing distance for a 55" set is about 15 feet.

The best way to pick a TV size is to determine viewing distance, and buy the size (or slightly larger) that works best in your room.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

if 3d matters, wait a few more months for prices to come down. IMO, I don't see 3d at home taking off

why? you have to wear the stooopid glasses
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

There are a couple really informative threads on here discussing this very topic (i think the last one was started by khan), but I'm too lazy to look them up.

Pretty sure you're a gamer, so BE CAREFUL about lcd. I bought a top of the line samsung, picture quality is amazing etc etc, but the lag makes fps's pretty much unplayable. From what I understand (thanks to the info from the mane and some other research), plasma's the way to go IF you're going to be doing a lot of gaming. Refresh rates my dear boy.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Stick with the Sharp, I get a huge discount on them through my company.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

There was an awesome thread where a lot of people helped me out quite a bit with this:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89415
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
gotfredson
Solid Starter

If you don't have the dough-Vizio
gotfredson is offline   Reply With Quote