The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody's Mailbag: Majority rules, send Orton away

Woody's Mailbag: Majority rules, send Orton away

Eric from Aurora asks Woody about trading Kyle Orton
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Posted: 05/13/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Woody, you made some interesting arguments in your Kyle Orton article on Sunday, but what makes you think that Kyle Orton wants out of Denver? If he was a free agent right now, I don't think that anybody would give him a big money contract. If I were Kyle Orton I would just bite my tongue and try to have my best season ever. In my opinion, staying in Denver for one more season is his best shot at earning the type of free-agent contract that he covets. Eric, Aurora

Eric: Based on the (unscientific) poll by The Denver Post, at last count, nearly 10,000 had responded to the question of whether Orton should stay or go, and more than 70 percent said go.

So I think I wrote a column that a strong majority apparently agrees with. The vocal minority has written and called me every name but the one my mother gave me. So there is a wide-ranging variance of opinions.

It always happens with quarterbacks, the most prominent position in team sports.

I said Kyle Orton should welcome to the chance to go somewhere else and start over. I'm sure that Orton disagrees. He would prefer to stay here, start at quarterback, have a great season and get a five, year $50 million contract as a free agent from the Broncos or some other team.

But, in my opinion, and that's what it is, the Broncos have three young quarterbacks who are the future of this franchise.

They should be given the reps in voluntary minicamps, in offseason activities, at camp in July and in the exhibition games. Let the best quarterback emerge as No. 1. If Orton remains the No. 1 quarterback, he will get the most reps, will play, at least to begin with, this season and will be gone next season because the Broncos are not going to bring in Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow and let them sit on the bench for two, three, four, five seasons, or even one.
(And they're not going to pay three quarterbacks the kind of money it would take for 2011, which some people tend to forget.)

Brady Quinn has busted it since he has gotten here, and I'm sure you've read that Josh McDaniels told me that Tebow will play "sooner than later" and that the people who think he won't play for two or three seasons are wrong.

Quinn, as I wrote before, got lousy coaching at Cleveland. When I asked McDaniels about that, he said he wouldn't get into it.

But I'm certain that Quinn and Tebow, two incredibly hard workers, will push each other to be better, will try to beat each other in the dark to the Broncos' practice field every day, beginning this week and to the end of the season.

They are smart enough to understand this system, can play, will improve (as Orton did) under the tutelage of McDaniels (who worked with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, and look what happened to Cassel when he went to Kansas City) and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy (who helped Jake Delhomme become a Pro Bowl quarterback, and notice what happened to Delhomme last year after McCoy left) and new quarterback coach Ben McDaniels (who had studied under his older brother and has many of the same fiery qualities).

Quinn and Tebow ultimately, in my opinion, give the Broncos a tandem they haven't had since Elway & Kubiak. They may both play a lot here, and if Tom Brandstater develops, one of the three eventually may go somewhere else.
It is said if you have two quarterbacks, you have none. If you have four quarterbacks, you have a coal car of trouble.

The Broncos want to develop Quinn and Tebow. I don't think the Broncos traded for Quinn to think he would be another Simms-type backup.

I don't think the Broncos drafted Tebow if they thought if he would sit around for three years.

If the Broncos were so in love with Orton, why not give him a long-term contract now and settle the issue?

If the Broncos were in love with Orton, why go get two big-name, promising quarterbacks? A lot of the same people who wanted Jay Cutler out of here love Orton. (They had similar 8-8 and 7-9 seasons).

Do people who like the Broncos want to settle for mediocrity? Do they want another John Elway? Don't they deserve to have one who can be MVP in the Big Game?

Do they believe Orton can win the Super Bowl? Look at the Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks. In 16 of the past 18 Super Bowls the winning team had a Hall of Fame quarterback or a potential Hall of Fame quarterback or an elite Pro Bowl quarterback. Brad Johnson of Tampa Bay and Trent Dilfer of Baltimore, the two exceptions, had two of the greatest defenses of the past quarter century.

At least 30 of the 44 winning quarterbacks in the Super Bowl are in the Hall of Fame or have a serious opportunity to reach Canton.

Orton will never be in the Hall of Fame, honestly. He was at least eighth on the list for the Pro Bowl from the AFC last year (because the league finally got down to David Garrard, who was seventh, and he's no great shakes, and Orton was considered to be next on the list if anybody else dropped out).

Orton's arm will never get stronger. The Broncos do not have one of the best defenses of the last 25 years.

What they have is an improved defense with six defensive linemen who can play, six linebackers with experience (and varying degrees of ability) and four outstanding defensive backs, with two new cornerbacks and three backup safeties and another backup cornerback in case of the inevitable injury.

We can all agree that the defense has five all-pro players of the past and a window of about three years into the future with all those veterans.

They have a chance to be very good in the coming season and again the next two and the Broncos shouldn't be jacking around wasting Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins and D.J. Williams and Elvis Dumervil and Jamal Williams for the rest of their careers.

I think the Broncos go with two guys in Tebow and Quinn who have a chance to be great in this league.

I watched Steve Young in his first college game, and I see many of the same qualities in Tebow. Quinn has a huge upside.

At best, Orton is a one-year starter and gone. At worst, he ends up being beaten out and sitting on the bench or being traded just before the season.

I examined every roster and depth chart in the league, and teams are hurting for backup quarterbacks. Orton can go a dozen different places and be No. 2, for example, with the Redskins.

He lost his job once to Rex Grossman, and then beat him. Probably could beat him out again as the backup to McNabb. If McNabb gets hurt, as he occasionally is prone to do, Orton could become the D.C. starter.

He could compete for the starting job in Jacksonville (oddly enough), and Garrard already has said he has to step up his game next year.

The Broncos didn't know they would go after Tebow when Quinn was acquired from Cleveland. Orton might be able to compete for No. 1 in Buffalo or a few other places, depending on the direction teams go.

He could be a backup with the Jets or the Lions, maybe even the Saints or the Colts. He might be able to make a run at a job in Arizona.

There is a report out of Chicago that the Bears should bring him back as Cutler's reserve.

Does he want to go somewhere else? I'm sure he doesn't. But better to go now than at the end of camp, when he'd be way behind somewhere else.

McDaniels may be wrong, but if he is, he'll be gone. I may be wrong, but I'll be dead soon, and you can spit on my grave.

If McDaniels is right about Tebow and Quinn, Broncos fans could get what they really want. If I'm right, you can still spit on my grave.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15075280
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Say what you will about Woody, he's always fun to read imo.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Somebody needs a good back up QB somewhere.
He'll find a team to play for.
He's smart, he's a good game manager, he's got a good character....
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the one thing i agree with is orton is gone after this year, to give him all the reps this year is almost a waste.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Somebody needs a good back up QB somewhere.
He'll find a team to play for.
He's smart, he's a good game manager, he's got a good character....
So... Where's this grave we're supposed to go spit on?
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Fans are so fickle.....let Tebow ride the pine this Year and learn. Call it what you like, this Year is a rebuilding Year. We are not going to the SuperBowl, but we can improve our record. Nothing good would come out of throwing Tebow out there-now, if we knew how well Brady Quinn grasped the Offense and executed it, maybe. Right now Orton is our best player until someone shows they are better.......and that hasn't happened-yet.
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
the one thing i agree with is orton is gone after this year, to give him all the reps this year is almost a waste.
I believe this as well. I just wish Woodie would shut up about it already, my hope is some team loses their QB in preseason and offers us a decent pick or player. Trade him before preseason and I cannot see us getting a whole lot.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

So let me get this straight.

Let's throw in a rookie with a remodelled throwing action behind an average line missing it's best player, with a poor running game, in a complex offense with an unknown set of WRs?

Yeah, that sure sounds like a recipe for success.

When did we start thinking like a ****ing expansion team?

If Orton is the best QB in the team and McDaniels starts Quinn or Tebow ahead of him then he doesn't deserve the coach's job. **** him, **** woody, **** TeQuinn.

I want the best players to play and that includes the QB.

Last edited by fontaine; 05-13-2010 at 09:04 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

How come this kind of stupidity doesn't apply to the rest of the team? Why not "ship out" Andre Goodman, Dawkins, Graham, etc? After all, aren't they just taking snaps away from the stellar/stud rookies from the past few years?

Some people see a couple of new QBs and forget all about how badly our lines have played the last two years.

Even when Cutler had his pro bowl season here, a piss poor front 7 got us nowhere.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The reason we need to trade him sooner rather than later is that Orton's value can't get any higher than right now. He should fetch at least a 3rd or 4th round pick. (or hopefully, for a veteran ILB)
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
The reason we need to trade him sooner rather than later is that Orton's value can't get any higher than right now. He should fetch at least a 3rd or 4th round pick. (or hopefully, for a veteran ILB)
FALSE.

If a starter or two goes down in August during a pre-season game, Orton's value goes up big time.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

If the Broncos were so in love with Orton, why not give him a long-term contract now and settle the issue?

Ummmm, great logic there Woody. I guess the Broncos don't like Dumervil (or ANY of their RFA's) either.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
FALSE.

If a starter or two goes down in August during a pre-season game, Orton's value goes up big time.
This
Plus what would the comp pick for a free agent defection be?
Its gotta be close to the premature trade amount
Plus the other two have no trial by fire - I mean this is a ridiculous arguement.
Way to go Woody! Moran
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
It's true, and I don't think we'd win many MORE games with Orton over Quinn.

I'd rather develop Quinn and Tebow.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Did he once again fail to aknowledge the fact that Quinn's 2011 salary goes up something like 6x what it is now if he plays 70% of the snaps this year? I'm going to assume so since he's an idiot that likes to make a point and won't let facts get in the way of that.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Even when Cutler had his pro bowl season here, a piss poor front 7 got us nowhere.
That's simply not true. The season before that he had a craptastic OL, but in 2008 we had one of the most dominant O-lines in the game. They still couldn't get any short yardage push from the interior on runs, but the failures of that season have about as close to 0 to do with the OL as possible. This was mostly a result of players performing at their peak ability as well as a complete lack of injuries.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Can we just send Woody away instead? He changes more than a rainbow. Poor Orton...he's probably at home wondering what he's done to deserve a bus ticket out of town.

I personally don't care if he gets canned. After all, the best looking qbs should remain on the roster, right? I'm just following Woody's warped logic.

Man, it's like people think they can talk Tebow into being a hall of famer. If it were that easy, they'd fall out of trees.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

McDaniels just doesn't give a damn about what anyone says except his organization.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Woody is a maroon.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #20
uplink
Ring of Famer

how about a poll to see if Woody should stay or go at the Post?
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #21
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Woody has to wait.

Who the **** knows.

Noone can predict an idiot.

Maybe Tebow.

He's Moses.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #22
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone who seriously considers anything Woody Paige has to say needs more help than he does.
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #23
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Paige is an idiot. He wrote this same **** last year before about starting Simms before we actually started him against the Chargers. That went well.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #25
Born-A-Bronco
Not My Fault

Its obvious now, Orton is the man this year. Quinn and Tebow both need this year to sit back and learn.
Born-A-Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote