The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker
Default Restricted FA

I saw this on rotoworld.com about OJ Atogwe:

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports that restricted free agent FS O.J. Atogwe will not sign his tender with the Rams, meaning he'll become an unrestricted free agent on June 1.

The Rams still hold exclusive negotiating rights with Atogwe until that point, but it appears he won't budge and is poised to leave St. Louis. Though Atogwe is coming off reconstructive shoulder surgery and a reported sports hernia, he will have plenty of suitors on the open market. The Rams do intend to meet with Atogwe this month, perhaps to make a long-term offer.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a special case for Atogwe? If Dumervil or Orton or Marshall had not signed their tender by June 1 (and not been traded in Marshall's case), they wouldn't have become unrestricted FAs, would they?
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

yea i dont understand that either. if doom or marshall didnt sign their tenders, they dont play football this year.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Here's the reason why Otogwe's situation is different from any RFA on our roster:

His salary last year in relation to the tender they offered him this year.

They offered him the "low" tender, which is not only not 110% of his 2009 salary, it's actually less than he made last year. If he doesn't sign it, they still have the option of simply offering him a one year deal for 110% of his salary prior to June 1 and he won't enter UFA. The reason they haven't done this yet is because they don't want to pay him the $7 mil or so it will take and so they're still trying to work on a long term deal.

Here's the exact quote I saw in two different places:

In a piece of “OMG” news, Rams safety Oshiomogho “Don’t Call Me OJ” Atogwe won’t sign the low tender offer from the team. The tender would have paid OJ $1.226 million next season, which is significantly less than he made last year. The team now holds the option of offering the safety 110 percent of his salary, which amounts to about $7 million, to retain his rights for 2010.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I would love to pick him up.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I would love to pick him up.
Aren't you married?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Thanks for that. I always wondered what would happen if the tender was lower than the previous years' salary. I knew it didn't happen much, but I know some teams have agents that manage to get their salaries to balloon in the last year. Good to know.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

This provides a fairly good explanation:

Atogwe won't sign tender with Rams
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 10, 2010 10:06 PM ET

Steve Wyche of NFL Network reported Monday night that Rams safety O.J. Atogwe won't sign the low restricted free agent tender he was offered before June 1.

It would have been a shock if he did.

Atogwe is guaranteed to become an unrestricted free agent on June 1 or get a tender offer worth roughly $7 million (110 percent of his 2009 salary), so he would have been crazy to sign the $1.226 million tender the Rams first offered.

(That sounds more confusing than it is.)

Look for the Rams to put one final push on signing Atogwe long-term before the drop dead day hits. Atogwe can drive a hard bargain, because he knows the Rams don't just want to give him away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...der-with-rams/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
meangene
Ring of Famer

Seems like their opinion of him has diminished from what it was a year ago. They have made a decision to let him walk rather than pay him the kind of money he got last year. So, it's either get a long-term deal done at less money (which does not seem likely) or he walks. He could probably be had for very little in a trade or a team could wait until he becomes a free agent. I think we have a couple young safeties with potential and would rather see how they develop before investing the kind of money it might take to sign Otogwe. We have a couple veterans in place for this year and could always look to shore up that position in next year's draft if need be.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

damaged goods. let's develop the guys we have.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote