The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default Comcast or Direct TV... or Dish network!

So I successfully found a place in Denver, close to Lowry just north of Cherry Creek, moving in on Friday and am pretty pumped.

I've always had comcast, never really had any issues with it but since I am starting fresh I was wondering what people on here recommend?

VS

now vs

I am so pumped about being a 15 minute drive to Invesco...

I just found out UHauls are about $400! Balls...

Last edited by Dagmar; 05-10-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

You're going to get the games locally (lucky bastard).... Go with DISH. I've had Comcast, DISH and now DirecTV only because I'm 2,000 miles from Mile High and thus Sunday Ticket. But if I had to choose and wasn't forced into DTV, I'd go with DISH.

Oh and if you are going with DirecTV... PM me and I'll give you a referral for $10 off per month for 10 months

Last edited by ColoradoDarin; 05-10-2010 at 02:52 PM..
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Dish for pure price on programming.

Directv for best operating menu and functionality.

Comcast if you're doing a bundle that makes it cheap and then you have no contract.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Before anyone recommends, or pulls the trigger, on dish network....you might want to take a gander at this:

(from today's boston globe)

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...loses_lawsuit/
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Before anyone recommends, or pulls the trigger, on dish network....you might want to take a gander at this:

Wow, I didn't know that. I can't watch regular TV.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just say no to DishNetwork.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

I bet they work something out otherwise Dish will be hosed.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I've got Direct and love it. Never going back to Comcast. Screw them.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

how come tivo went after dish but not directv and thier dvr?
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Do you want NFL Sunday Ticket? If so, the choice is easy.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
This right here is the reason I would choose anyone over DTV. They have a monopoly on NFL ticket. I always thought they were illegal in America. This is the reason I pay every year 400 dollars to watch my Broncos play. So if I got the games for free I would pick anyone else.

I will say I like the Chanel selection and over all no real compliant against them. It just pisses me off that the force me to go to them if I want Ticket.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
how come tivo went after dish but not directv and thier dvr?
Dish's DVR boxes that infringe TiVo's patent. A federal judge would have to decide whether redesigned software for Dish's DVRs still infringe on TiVo's patents.

I assume that means Direct TV came up with their own version, Dish used TiVo's
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Living in Denver with NFL Redzone channel I don't need it to be honest.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendave View Post
Dish's DVR boxes that infringe TiVo's patent. A federal judge would have to decide whether redesigned software for Dish's DVRs still infringe on TiVo's patents.

I assume that means Direct TV came up with their own version, Dish used TiVo's
ahh, see article really just says they used tivos pause and rewind live tv, and I'm thinking to myself well yeah directv's does too. so it's more of a how it does it rather then just simply that it does do it.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

I have Direct TV and love it-more basic channels (including NFL Network), great reception. I have TiVo, and don't know how I enjoyed TV without it-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
ahh, see article really just says they used tivos pause and rewind live tv, and I'm thinking to myself well yeah directv's does too. so it's more of a how it does it rather then just simply that it does do it.
Tivo still partners with DirecTV, so that is probably one of the main reasons they didn't go after them. There is speculation that Tivo will be able to start going after other DVR makers now as well.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #17
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I think Dish's DVR is the best. I hated Comcasts with a passion. WHat I think is hurting all of these companies is the pricing of packages, NetFlix, AT&T, the economy and the number of crap channels forced on them by the programmers that peoplke don't want to pay for. The worst thing that happens if you go to DISH is it doesn't work out and you switch. They are the cheapest right now and that isn't saying much.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

I live nearby and use Direct TV. I have nothing but good to say about their selection and service.

Congratulations on finding a nice new home. You'll love it there.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Tivo still partners with DirecTV, so that is probably one of the main reasons they didn't go after them. There is speculation that Tivo will be able to start going after other DVR makers now as well.
DISH Network is the only Satellite provider that makes their own DVR and it is proprietary so Tivo has never had access to Dish customers.

DTV does not make any DVR type equipment that I am aware of. Sony, Tivo etc all make receivers that can handle DTV programming, that is why Tivo went after DISH. It's where the money is with an embedded base of customers. I don't know if the other DTV receiver makers have a product like Tivo's so it may be pointless to sue the other manufacturers.

Comcast has Scientific Atlanta (SA) receivers that have similar capabilites as Tivo so they may be next or the perhaps the way they implmented the technology may make them different enough so they can't be sued. I will say that their recivers SUCK. If you have ever used the DISH receiver it is a really well implemented piece of equipment while SA's are the worst pieces of crap I have ever used. Dumped them a month after signing on I hated them so much.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

So until recently (two weeks ago) I worked for Dish Network and have had all three services. Here's the pros and cons of both.

Comcast

Pros: Usually always have service. Not many weather outages that you get with satellite services. DVR functionality is relatively seamless. Extremely large on demand library - many are completely free. If you call and whine they will pretty quickly agree to lower your bill. No contracts.

Cons: Expensive. Month to month, they are the most expensive service, period. They do a lot of stealth raises where they slowly raise your monthly bill. Customer service is the worst (not even open 24/7). Returning equipment is a pain. Fewest HD channels. Their guide and menu system is annoying too. HD is listed in the 900's and the non-hd is listed normal. Noe easy to sort. Remote is stupid.

Direct TV

Pros: Cheaper than Comcast. More HD than Comcast. Premiere sports PPV like NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings available. DVR is pretty slick. Allows to mark certain points along a recording to quickly jump to (highlights from games, for example). Competitive pricing under contract. Highest rated customer service. No repair charges. Possible they will buy out your contract to transfer you over.

Cons: Still more expensive than Dish. Month to month you will pay more with Direct than Dish. The cost of repairs is rolled into your monthly fees so everyone pays for everyone's repairs whether they need them or not. Snow and weather issues can interrupt service. Not as much HD channels as Dish. Also does the stealth price increases. Contracts are expensive if broken. Back end of contracts are bloated so they make back more than what you saved in the early part of the contract.

Dish Network

Pros: The cheapest. They have lower overhead and so are the lowest priced service. Have duo tuner boxes where you can have two TV's share one box. This reduces monthly equipment fees to connect multiple TV's. DVR has the highest amount of recorded hours of any of the three services. Most HD channels (more than Direct and Comcast). Guide and remote are user friendly (have a skip forward and skip backward button). Only company to broadcast (very limited amount) of 1080P programming. Very user friendly - you can sort your guide to only show subscribed channels to save browsing time and HD channels are listed right next to their SD counterparts on the guide.

Cons: You have to pay for repairs even if it's not your fault and even if you pay for the warranty. Without a warranty tech visits are $95. With the warranty (an extra $6 a month) they are $15. Even with the warranty you'll pay less per month than the other two (they factor in the repairs in your cost anyway), but it's still expensive even if it's not your fault the equipment broke. None of the premium sports PPV packages are available.

I personally like Dish Network, Direct TV and Comcast in that order. If Direct was cheaper they would be my number one. I like the Dish equipment best.

Side note: Dish Network is based out of Colorado and a smaller company, so they spend less on advertising than the other two who can afford big name stars. Dish recently lost a lawsuit from Tivo concerning their DVR so their may be some movement on that end. It won't affect customers, just money.

Last edited by Kaylore; 05-10-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
DISH Network is the only Satellite provider that makes their own DVR and it is proprietary so Tivo has never had access to Dish customers.

DTV does not make any DVR type equipment that I am aware of. Sony, Tivo etc all make receivers that can handle DTV programming, that is why Tivo went after DISH. It's where the money is with an embedded base of customers. I don't know if the other DTV receiver makers have a product like Tivo's so it may be pointless to sue the other manufacturers.

Comcast has Scientific Atlanta (SA) receivers that have similar capabilites as Tivo so they may be next or the perhaps the way they implmented the technology may make them different enough so they can't be sued. I will say that their recivers SUCK. If you have ever used the DISH receiver it is a really well implemented piece of equipment while SA's are the worst pieces of crap I have ever used. Dumped them a month after signing on I hated them so much.
DTV's HD DVRs are excellent and silent.....at last.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

AT&T's U-verse is also taking a bite out of all 3's customer base.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

I agree except there are a few receivers that are complete garbage by Dish. The 622 is garbage. The hard drives are constantly going out and it's just bad. The 211's suck too. I have a 722k, and it is indeed pretty awesome. The new sling-loaded 922 only connects one TV and even though the second connection is for computer and/or mobile devices, they could have modified it to still connect two TV's and just have the second TV mirror the computer.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Pros: The cheapest. They have lower overhead and so are the lowest priced service. Have duo tuner boxes where you can have two TV's share one box. This reduces monthly equipment fees to connect multiple TV's. DVR has the highest amount of recorded hours of any of the three services. Most HD channels (more than Direct and Comcast). Guide and remote are user friendly (have a skip forward and skip backward button). Only company to broadcast (very limited amount) of 1080P programming. Very user friendly - you can sort your guide to only show subscribed channels to save browsing time and HD channels are listed right next to their SD counterparts on the guide.
I didn't know they did that. What channel numbers?
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #25
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Comcast is rolling out a service where they download the Tivo OS onto existing hardware in the field. I know that this roll out has been slow, but it probably keeps Tivo from suing them as well. May not protect SA though.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote