The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default Is anyone else feeling a change in Bronco Country?

I have been looking over the players that we have brought in this off season, and the players that we keep from last year. I have looked at it multiple ways: Individual players, position groups, offense/defense and ST groups as a whole.

The way I am seeing things now is that we might be on the verge of really turning it around.

Here is my line of thinking.... Where on this team are we lacking talent?

I see a lot of talent on offense. I know that a lot of it is unproven, so we need to hold back our excitement, but it is there.

Knowshon is going to be better this season. He is going to be stronger, and with the interior line stronger he is going to be primed for a 1200 yard season.

I am going to argue that even with the loss of a top 5 WR, that we our better off and more talented at the position this year. Demaryius has all the talent in the world and Decker is going to be a real weapon for us. We are going to have Demaryius and Thomas working the outside, which will allow Royal to work the middle of the field against nickel corners and Safeties. Did I mention that they all will block in the running game?

The Defensive line is going to be better. Bannan and Willams are going to free up our LB's, and will stop the run.

The LB's will be spitting fire this season. Doom and Ayers will have a season under their belts at OLB, and both will be better (scary when you think that Doom will be better). DJ will be better because he will be at the same position this season.

The DB's are old, I mean experienced. Champ is Champ and Dawk is Dawk. Goodman is solid and I think that McBath is going to unseat Hill. This is going to be a show me year from A. Smith at Nickel Corner and I think he and Perrish Cox are the future at Corner.

I am not worried about our Kicker. Punter should go to the best guy in camp. I can not wait to see who steps up at Punt and Kick Returner, I mean Royal is great at it, and with the added depth at WR he might be able to do it full time.

I realize that one of the ILB positions is in question, SILB. I don't think that is going to be much of a problem.

QB is going to be the what makes or breaks us. We have 2 1st round QB's this season, Orton is as good as done. If Quinn or Tebow can be the player that can bring this thing together, we will be cooking with gasoline. I know that people are bashing Orton, that is not what I am doing. I am only going to say that Orton can not make that big time pass in the clutch, or pick up that 1st down run when things break down, or evade that free blitzer to avoid a negative play.

With all that said, I think we might be a year away from being a legit Super Bowl contender. I do see us surprising people that are predicting doom and gloom in the Mile High City. We should win 10 games this season.

We are as talented as any team in the NFL, bar none. I couldn't say that 2 years ago. We just need to pull it together. I am so excited to see the way things play out this season, and I truly believe that this is the season that we really see the turn towards becoming an elite team again.

Maybe it is just me.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

My brother called my mom today to wish her a happy mother's day and I had an hour long argument with him over the state of the Broncos. He does not like McDaniels. He does not like his moves, he does not like the Tebow pick, he doesnt like that Cutler, Hillis, Scheffler and Marshall were sent out of town. He actually thinks Oakland and KC have at least caught up to Denver...

My counter argument is we improved drastically on both lines on paper. We got bigger up front. If you dont actually have good line play, your skill position players will not be what they are expected to be. We added size at WR, have an interesting QB situation that feels like its going to work out, have a solid group of running backs to run behind the new look line.

On defense we got starters along the line through FA, and created good rotational opportunities. Ayres and Doom outside should be a good combo, especially since the scheme is not drastically changing which can only help Ayres. DJ is solid at one ILB spot, and the other ILB spot should see good competition this summer. Our secondary is solid and incredibly savy, and we added good depth (even Smith) to learn from Bailey and Dawkins.

Looks good. I really hope they show improvement this coming up season.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

I have been slightly out of the loop.

What is the latest on Clady? I feel his fitness will be in a large way responsible for the immediate prospects of our team, even more than QB.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
My brother called my mom today to wish her a happy mother's day and I had an hour long argument with him over the state of the Broncos. He does not like McDaniels. He does not like his moves, he does not like the Tebow pick, he doesnt like that Cutler, Hillis, Scheffler and Marshall were sent out of town. He actually thinks Oakland and KC have at least caught up to Denver...

My counter argument is we improved drastically on both lines on paper. We got bigger up front. If you dont actually have good line play, your skill position players will not be what they are expected to be. We added size at WR, have an interesting QB situation that feels like its going to work out, have a solid group of running backs to run behind the new look line.

On defense we got starters along the line through FA, and created good rotational opportunities. Ayres and Doom outside should be a good combo, especially since the scheme is not drastically changing which can only help Ayres. DJ is solid at one ILB spot, and the other ILB spot should see good competition this summer. Our secondary is solid and incredibly savy, and we added good depth (even Smith) to learn from Bailey and Dawkins.

Your brother is an idiot
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Your brother is an idiot

Actually with football he is pretty spot on. We just have a year long disagreement over the direction of the franchise. He does not like McDaniels, and feels even if the man wins a title or two here he is not on the same level as Mike Shanahan. I suggest to him quite often that simply because McDaniels is different does not make him less...but my brother prefers a "Broncos" HC, Denver should have hired someone from Shanahan's coaching tree...which at the moment is Shanahan and Kubiak...so...yeah.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

I have that same argument every now and then with my one buddy here at school. He feels that McDaniels should have never broken up the "2nd best offense in football", even though that ranking was based on yardage and not on scoring, which means jack squat at the end of the day.

I can't seem to get through to him how much we've improved on the lines, specifically on defense. Our problem in the trenches last year was that we wore down, and now we have those same guys to rotate with premier talent like Williams, Green, and Bannan.

The only thing that he really liked about our draft was the Thomas pick. Seemed to think we had "other needs" other than what Beadles, Walton, Decker, and Cox can fill.

Good kid, but he's still stuck in the Cutler era.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Meh, pre-season hype to get yourself excited for the season. Everyone does it to some extent every year I'd imagine.

This team is in year 2 of a complete re-build. We won't be competing for much this year.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Prodigal19
Seasoned Veteran

An optimistic post on the mane? What is this, I don't even...
Prodigal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

What an inspiring post!

I even believe it!

LT is going to be the biggest question for me going into the season though
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

its just you.

were going 0-16. write it down. we are the new detroit lions. the broncos will be lucky to score 3 points this year.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #11
extralife
Ring of Famer

The problem is even if we're solid everywhere--which may be the case--I don't think we're great anywhere. We don't have much of a strength that we can play to in any given game. Nothing to tailor our personality and game plan around.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
uplink
Ring of Famer

nice post, but
Attached Images

uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I would like to see more Dline help.

But, what I really like about this team, moving forward, is it truly seems like everybody has each other's back.

Thats the feeling I get, and I hope its genuine. Because if it is, there's no tell what could happen...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #14
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

10 wins might be stretching it for this year. However, I share the OP optimism for the future. McDaniels is slowly building the pieces for a powerful team, but it will probably take more than this year for everybody to be on the same page. I like that McDaniels has a TRUE plan. We won't be stuck in "mediocre land" for very long. His career in Denver will be defined by the next two (maybe three) years.

Those who would prefer Kubiak need only to look at what he is doing in Houston. He is JUST NOW bringing the Texans to respectability. It even remains to be seen whether he can improve on last season.

I can't say for sure whether McDaniels is the right guy for the job. I DO like that he's not sitting on his rear, waiting for the pixie dust to magically transform us into a winning team...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I don't think 10 is out of the question with a weaker schedule than last year.

Now every team has holes, and it is up to the coaches to minimize those holes.

I believe that things are going to change PDQ. We just need someone to pull the pieces together. Once that happens it is on.

For us Semi-older fans, remember the last time this happened. We went from a middle of the road team to 13-3 in one year, with just a few FA, coaching, and the team coming together. Of course we had John Elway on the team, but no one knew that TD was going to be TD, or that Rod Smith and Eddy Mac would be our dynamic duo. We had holes then, but everybody played together and got the job done.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Actually with football he is pretty spot on. We just have a year long disagreement over the direction of the franchise. He does not like McDaniels, and feels even if the man wins a title or two here he is not on the same level as Mike Shanahan. I suggest to him quite often that simply because McDaniels is different does not make him less...but my brother prefers a "Broncos" HC, Denver should have hired someone from Shanahan's coaching tree...which at the moment is Shanahan and Kubiak...so...yeah.

If your brother feels that if Josh wins a couple titles here with all the changes here and after having to recreate the entire team including shipping out one 'pseudo-franchise QB' and bring in who he has to mold into a real one, if after all that he claims a two time SB winning Josh is not on par with Shanahan then your brother is hopelessly, terminally biased.

Hence the rest of his arguments are similarly skewed.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #17
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'm sure looking forward to seeing some D improvements with the new additions, as well as the youngsters getting a year under their belts. The poor D killed the team's chances down the stretch last year.

Lot of turnover/new faces on O, but the coaching staff has a year under their belts also.

All three units are still a work in progress, just have to wait and see what they look like in TC and PS.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #18
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
I have been slightly out of the loop.

What is the latest on Clady? I feel his fitness will be in a large way responsible for the immediate prospects of our team, even more than QB.
This is a wise post.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Optimism based around rookies and last year's draft coupled with some aging or average players like Jamal Williams, Bannan etc is no different than a few years ago when there was similar talk around guys like Lelie, Foster, Daryl Gardener etc.

The only real, tangible improvement or reason for optimism that I can see is that we're not going through yet another defensive coaching/player/scheme overhaul this offseason.

Playing in the same scheme as last year is a step in the right direction.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
your brother has a point .

Quote:
Bigger isnt always better ....... Lack of depth has killed us more then anything

Quote:

I hope so .........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #21
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

Don't forget Kyle Shanahan...er, something.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #22
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

The only change in Bronco Country is that the number of Fair Weather Fans is increasing exponentially.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #23
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

This

Or this

I can see it going either way this year. Playoffs or top 10 pick...I don't think there will be any in between.

Pray for veteran health and rookie maturation.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #24
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

We drafted Tebow?!?!?! Whoa.... j/k

Actually I am feeling good about the Broncos. Way iffy on the idea of an Orton trade. Would rather see Quinn or Brandstater go.

Worm - nice work on the Jim Jones pic. That still gives me the hebejebes.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #25
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Worm,

Most of those unfortunate people at Jonestown were shot in the back of the head. It was not the Kool aid that killed them.

Just sayin...
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote