The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default OT- Hobby Modeling

Is anyone here into any kind of Hobby modeling: plastic kits, RC cars/planes, rockets etc?

I am looking for any good hobby boards/blogs/projects you have done.

I bought an Enterprise kit to try to get back into it with because I built a couple as a kid and figured if I did it at 8 I could do it at 42, almost 43.

I want to build the Saturn V kit and the Apollo 11 40th Anniversary CSM model if this works out. I figure my son won't have the same Star Trek/space obsession as I do and I will wait to do airplanes in a couple years with him. Plus when he is ready I shouldn't be "teH suck" at it.

I am building a rocket with my 6 year old daughter to shoot off, so far she is digging it but there isn't that much to them but it is nice to spend the time with her doing it.

Some days I can't play my keys or Guitar because of the nerve damage and I am bored with video games and need something to do inbetween reading and watching dvd's from the library. Figured there is a highlevel of detail and this could be something I could get obsessive with quick and I could do it while sitting on my Ice/heat pads.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I've done a couple of wooden ships (a sloop and The Thermopylae). I'll probably do some more.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Is anyone here into any kind of Hobby modeling: plastic kits, RC cars/planes, rockets etc?

I bought an Enterprise kit to try to get back into it with because I built a couple as a kid and figured if I did it at 8 I could do it at 42, almost 43.

I want to build the Saturn V kit and the Apollo 11 40th Anniversary CSM model if this works out. I figure my son won't have the same Star Trek/space obsession as I do and I will wait to do airplanes in a couple years with him. Plus when he is ready I shouldn't be "teH suck" at it.

I am building a rocket with my 6 year old daughter to shoot off, so far she is digging it but there isn't that much to them but it is nice to spend the time with her doing it.

Some days I can't play my keys or Guitar because of the nerve damage and I am bored with video games and need something to do inbetween reading and watching dvd's from the library. Figured there is a highlevel of detail and this could be something I could get obsessive with quick and I could do it while sitting on my Ice/heat pads.
not really for kids... but if you're into state of the art WWI biplanes, there's a NZ company called Wingnut Wings making some of the best kits out there...

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings, King Kong, etc.) is the money man behind the company. he's a big WWI/ANZAC buff and quite a collector of model planes and soldiers. FWIW.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Before I participate is this with Ambien on or off?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

When I was little I used to try the rockets. Always had some sort of malfunction whether it was one engine coming out at launch and turning it into a near death situation or the parachute malfunctioning and never seeing the thing again.

Couldn't have been user error as I was perfect at 10 years old, as well.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Brandon29
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/mo...orum/index.php

Includes more than just cars and race cars. They have awesome tips on fabricating pieces and adding realism.
Brandon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Before I participate is this with Ambien on or off?
I went to bed after posting so Off.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I fool around with metal sculpturing a little bit in the garage. Calling it sculpturing is outrageous, though. But nevertheless, that's what I call it. I'm talking small stuff on my workbench, I keep trying to build a horse by bending and soldering brass and copper wire into a frame then cover the frame in brass and copper sheets. It's been pretty pathetic, actually.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
When I was little I used to try the rockets. Always had some sort of malfunction whether it was one engine coming out at launch and turning it into a near death situation or the parachute malfunctioning and never seeing the thing again.

I saved up like 4-5 weeks of Lawn mowing one summer and i bought this kick assed rocket and paints. I spent forever painting it and getting it lined up and it was a true work of art.

After everything had time to cure I took it out. I checked the wind and made sure I had the right A engine for test launch and adjusted the stand. I checked the area for trees and thought I had enough room and angled it away.

I launch the F'er and as I launch the wind picks up and as the parachute deploys the wind took it right to some power lines then for good measure spun it around a couple times. It hung there for a couple days before it disappeared.

After that I made papertowel tube rockets for a while until I found out about girls.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

I was into electromagnetism as a kid. I built a series of electromagnetic guns. Plastic pipe sealed at one end, then wrapped copper wire around it at the base to form the electromagnet, then put a magnet into the plastic pipe, then give battery to the electromagnet and that magnet would shoot out of the pipe. Silent except for a thunk when the magnet left the tube. And boy, did I get some velocity and distance. Naturally, I got into trouble as a consequence of my creativity. The Man held me back.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I was into electromagnetism as a kid. I built a series of electromagnetic guns. Plastic pipe sealed at one end, then wrapped copper wire around it at the base to form the electromagnet, then put a magnet into the plastic pipe, then give battery to the electromagnet and that magnet would shoot out of the pipe. Silent except for a thunk when the magnet left the tube. And boy, did I get some velocity and distance. Naturally, I got into trouble as a consequence of my creativity. The Man held me back.
I beat Megaman 2 on the hard setting as a kid so I'm not impressed
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:

I bought and built a 36" model of the Cutty Sark ( sailing ship ) while I was in Korea (40 years ago). I was there for 15 months at a remote missile site, 40 miles from the nearest other American facility (Kunsan AB). There was not a lot to do for us off duty (camera club, visit the 'ville', ju jitsu training, and drinking a lot were the main entertainments available.) After about three months of the above I bought the model and spent a lot of the next 11 months finishing it. Carefully painted and detailed every feature of it. Of course when it came time to pack up to rotate home there was no way to pack the damn thing. So, I took it to the firing range and shot it to hell.
A shame, but if I hadn't of built it I probably would have drank a lot more than I did. As it was I drank too much anyway ( about 1 quart of vodka gimlets every off duty evening) .
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:

i have done a few models when i was a kid and several as an adult. With all the models out there, i think tamiya makes the best ones. they are pricey, but the amount of detail to them in incredible. example, i am into tank building. their higher end models consist of aluminum tracks and barrel. there are several different version for the m-1 abrahms. ones for the gulf war, the ones deployed in europe, the ones with different attachments like mine sweeping. i know they even have decals and figures specific to certain famous tank commanders during ww2.
i was looking for the tiger 2 model and tamiya carries several ones. when germany built the tiger 2, the first 50 tanks had a different turret made by porshe and the tank was called king tiger. to my supprise, tamiya made tanks with porshe turret and the regular tiger 2.
if you build this model the way it should be done, it will keep you occupied for atleast 3 months.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I do models. Swimsuit ones.

zing!
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Sorry, I was always more into blowing things up and catching things on fire.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
i have done a few models when i was a kid and several as an adult. With all the models out there, i think tamiya makes the best ones. they are pricey, but the amount of detail to them in incredible. example, i am into tank building. their higher end models consist of aluminum tracks and barrel. there are several different version for the m-1 abrahms. ones for the gulf war, the ones deployed in europe, the ones with different attachments like mine sweeping. i know they even have decals and figures specific to certain famous tank commanders during ww2.
i was looking for the tiger 2 model and tamiya carries several ones. when germany built the tiger 2, the first 50 tanks had a different turret made by porshe and the tank was called king tiger. to my supprise, tamiya made tanks with porshe turret and the regular tiger 2.
if you build this model the way it should be done, it will keep you occupied for atleast 3 months.
I am amazed at how tank Modeling has blowup. There is some Game Zone (not sure of the name) store that I walked into thinking they would buy my old PS3 games and instead got a sell job on what they do. Apparently they have some games based around the models "kinda like chess". You can do the paint and building at the store and they help you out. then they have these war games on Friday nights.

I am more into the classic Airplane and space models at least for now.

My Dentist said he got some small scale football player figurines then painted up all 32 teams. He said he was able to use some of his gear and destist skills painting them. He said Denver was hard, both old and new helmets because of the horses.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I did a ton of rockets. I made most of the Estes models and some from other brands as well. Even made a few custom ones with things like wrapping paper tubes and leftover Estes parts.

My first one was the Estes Bull Pup, but I made dozens others. Unfortunatley, I never got to fly my three favorite ones I made - the AIM-9 Sidewinder, the Maniac, and the X-Wing model. Shame.

Gave that up in junior high.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

They boys and I like the Estes Rockets. We have 6 of them and enjoy building and launching them together... great family fun.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote