The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Default Elway hoping to "Get more connected"

John Elway has no immediate plans to get into coaching.

In fact, after competing in the Colorado Golf Association 4-Ball tournament in Westminster on Tuesday, he called it something he can “always fall back on.”

In the meantime, the Hall-of-Fame quarterback is hoping to be seen a little more often around Dove Valley, helping out the Broncos any way he can while “on the outside looking in.”

“I’m hoping to get to know Tim (Tebow), and if he’s got questions I’d love to be able to help him out, as well as Kyle (Orton) and Brady (Quinn),” Elway told a group of reporters in a sit-down interview. “That’s kind of what I’ve missed is that connection, so I’m hoping to get more connected.”

After speaking to parents and students in the “Teaming up to Take Charge of Asthma” event at Montbello High School on Wednesday, Head Coach Josh McDaniels couldn’t help but smile when he heard Elway’s plans to get more involved.

“John Elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” McDaniels said. “Anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with John and I will continue to have a relationship with John. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

“What he’s been able to accomplish in his career I think is a great influence for some of our younger players and even our veteran players that have been in the league for a long time,” he continued. “Any guidance that he can give any of us or any of our players is well-received.”

Elway said he has had a chance to grab lunch with the Broncos head coach several times and after getting to know him, he has concluded that the two have plenty in common.

Both have fathers who were coaches and both have been to the top of the NFL — McDaniels has three Super Bowl trophies as an assistant coach, and Elway, as every Broncos fan remembers, won back-to-back Super Bowls as a quarterback before retiring at the conclusion of the 1998 season.

“I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

“I’m excited for the Broncos and think that they have a lot of good things ahead of them.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

In other words, "I'm married now, I have nothing to do, and I need to get out of the freaking house."
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Elway said he has had a chance to grab lunch with the Broncos head coach several times and after getting to know him, he has concluded that the two have plenty in common.

“I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

“I’m excited for the Broncos and think that they have a lot of good things ahead of them.”
We all know that this is impossible. 7 must be lying. Josh McD has no people skills, everyone hates him, nobody wants to work with/for him, and he drives people away.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

There's lots of interesting subtext here. It seems that John felt unconnected for a long time. I wonder what the story behind that is.

I'm proud of Josh for reforging a connection to Elway; and it's gravy that they get along.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
In other words, "I'm married now, I have nothing to do, and I need to get out of the freaking house."
exactly, us mere mortals have to find refuge in the garage

John gets to go help the Broncos

I love it, and I love that this may be happening
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
We all know that this is impossible. 7 must be lying. Josh McD has no people skills, everyone hates him, nobody wants to work with/for him, and he drives people away.
It's kind of glorious how thin the anti-Mcd argument is these days, given how fervently it's proponents advanced it's paper-thin arguments.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I really don't want to turn this into an argument thread because the thought of Elway returning to help is a good one. The thing is, sometimes you whiney bastards make it so hard.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

With Elway coming around Dove Canyon to help Tebow, it will like God talking to Moses.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
LMAO..... me too

OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

“John Elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” McDaniels said. “Anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with John and I will continue to have a relationship with John. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

But I thought McDaniels hates the Broncos past Shanny Era...

Look we all know that this is the last year for Orton as a Bronco and he could care less about hanging out with 7. But getting Tebow and Elway to form a friendship will only increase Tebow's chances of success!
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I love it. I've been fearful if he got back in he'd go somewhere else. His and Shanahan's relationship was strained since his retirement. I'm thrilled McD see's the advantages to this, especially with Tebow. Quinn and Orton, after all, want nothing to do with him. Stupid, stupid men.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

It can't be good that McD refers to John as 'a resource' and not a friend. Maybe it'll happen in time.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by heav View Post
“john elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” mcdaniels said. “anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with john and i will continue to have a relationship with john. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

but i thought mcdaniels hates the broncos past shanny era...

Look we all know that this is the last year for orton as a bronco and he could care less about hanging out with 7. But getting tebow and elway to form a friendship will only increase tebow's chances of success!
+1
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
It can't be good that McD refers to John as 'a resource' and not a friend. Maybe it'll happen in time.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
I prefer him referring to him as a resource. I hated Shanahan's "friends". Besides, he did say he had a relationship with him. That's good enough for me.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I prefer him referring to him as a resource. I hated Shanahan's "friends". Besides, he did say he had a relationship with him. That's good enough for me.
Still, it'd be more newsworthy if McD, Elway, and Tebow had their own designated booth at The Soiled Dove Underground or something...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
His and Shanahan's relationship was strained since his retirement.

Could you elaborate on this please? I saw another article that hinted about Elway hanging back away from the team, that it had something to do with Shanny. I didn't know how to take it- it seemed like either they didn't get along or Elway just didn't want to step on anybody's toes by coming by.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

Elway!!!
Attached Images

Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #20
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
John Elway- “I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

What have we here another gutless drunk?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
John Elway- “I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

What have we here another gutless drunk?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #22
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chatterboodamn View Post
Elway!!!
Ummm what...where...why?
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Elway seems genuinely excited about the Broncos for the first time in awhile. He's always said the PC response, but I don't think he was into helping Shanahan, and I don't think he was a fan of Cutler.

I think he's as intrigued by the prospect of Tebow as the rest of us are, and I think he may actually get involved with Tebow instead of just talking about it.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Elway seems genuinely excited about the Broncos for the first time in awhile. He's always said the PC response, but I don't think he was into helping Shanahan, and I don't think he was a fan of Cutler.

I think he's as intrigued by the prospect of Tebow as the rest of us are, and I think he may actually get involved with Tebow instead of just talking about it.
I have always felt John and Mike parted ways on poor terms.

We'll see John more involved now I bet.

Last edited by baja; 05-07-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
This.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote