The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default McD compares Tebow to Brady

http://www.denverpost.com/broncoshea...mpaign=twitter

Tim Tebow has IT.

Not if.

And he gets it.

So says Josh McDaniels.

"I think the thing about Tim is what everybody calls the 'It'. There are those kind of people that have that 'It,' " the coach said emphatically this week in his office at Dove Valley. On the wall beside McDaniels' desk is a large TV, and frozen on the flat screen was Tim Tebow, in his orange Broncos practice jersey with a football by his left ear — a start button for throwing a pass.

McDaniels looks at the image of the Broncos' rookie quarterback and compares Tebow's "It" factor to another quarterback he directly coached for five seasons in New England.

"When Tom (Brady) came to us in 2001, I wasn't on the offensive side of the ball, but I can remember the feeling in the building was that he had something that nobody else had . . . and how strongly he felt that ultimately he would be a great player. It was obviously apparent in subsequent seasons.

"I think when you get a guy, and he's waiting for me to tell him he's going to be a great player, we might be waiting a long time," he said.

McDaniels respected the confidence Brady showed then and admires the confidence Tebow shows now.

"That confidence affects everybody," he said. "We could see it last week at rookie camp. There were a bunch of rookies out there with no confidence, except him. He's got such confidence that he will just not let himself fail.

"And that quality sometimes is very underrated. There are people with a great deal of God-given ability who are fun to watch, and it's really interesting to see what kind of seasons they'll put together. Then there are guys who will say they won't fail, our team's not going to fail, and they have a 'I'm not going to let you down' attitude. And that's what you notice with Tim."

NFL scouts, coaches and analysts offered two alarming criticisms about Tebow the quarterback: his long, looping delivery and his lack of arm strength.

McDaniels has no concern about either. The Monday before the draft, McDaniels and other members of the organization flew to Florida to decide if Tebow would be their man.

"We spent seven hours with him, and I came away thinking that everybody keeps talking about the thing I think we can fix — that's my job as a coach — and nobody's talking about the things we don't have to teach him because he already has all that.

"I was struck by his intelligence, the way he understands the game, how I can have a great football conversation with him. I didn't have to sit there and draw it up. I would say, 'If they do this, here's what I want you to do,' and he says, 'I got it, Coach.' "

McDaniels implies that Tebow could play quarterback for the Broncos sooner rather than later.

"To me, (Tebow's acumen) gives him an advantage, an opportunity to play earlier than other people have played. Everybody keeps talking about it will be two, three years before he can play, and I think they don't know this guy. His mental capacity, and the way that he works, and the fact that he's on such a fast pace, will give him the chance to compete apples-to-apples.

"It's all going to be about his production and performance. There are a lot of rookies who can't run plays because they can't figure it out yet. That's not going to be the case with Tim. He'll be able to do the things (veterans) do."

During that final visit with Tebow, the coach began to explain the Broncos' offensive terminology, and the quarterback picked it up immediately. When McDaniels quizzed the QB about defensive fronts, Tebow proved he could recognize every variation and how to respond.

"You know what Tim doesn't know about our playbook?" McDaniels asked, then answered. "Only what we haven't told him yet."

And when Tebow threw at his private workout, McDaniels knew he wanted to figure out a way to wheel and deal in the first round to get him.

In Florida and at rookie camp, Tebow "threw into the wind, with it, across it, and there were no issues," McDaniels said. When Tebow threw long, "he would be looking, looking, then stand up, without winding up and all that stuff, throw 60 yards, just like that. He's got a really strong arm."

McDaniels points his remote control at the television, and Tebow is brought to life. Back and forth, fast forward, rewind, the coach reveals the rookie's throwing motion.

The problem with his delivery, McDaniels said, was not as much the left arm action as the right side body reaction. Tebow's nonthrowing arm was flailing, and his right side was bailing out. He's corrected the throwing motion and cocked position, is releasing the ball quicker, and has eliminated the inaccurate sidearm passes. McDaniels had Tebow tuck his right elbow, straighten his shoulders and concentrate on forcing the "15" (on his jersey front) to fall off (figuratively) when he throws.

"See, he's doing it, after just a couple of days," McDaniels said, looking at the screen. "What's it going to be like after 65 practices? He gets it."

IT is happening with Tim Tebow.
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Tebow impregnates Supermodels?!?!?
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

i really hope mcd's not trying to convince himself, but instead truly considers tebow more than just 'a project'. all signs point to the former. getcha popcorn ready.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

merge
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

His mistake was comparing Tebow to Brady when he should have been comparing Brady to Tebow.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
His mistake was comparing Tebow to Brady when he should have been comparing Brady to Tebow.
nice
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
TheDave
Sauced...

God help us if Tebow starts this year...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
You going to lose your superfan card for this post.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
You going to lose your superfan card for this post.
I'm good with the pick, and I think the kid has some real interesting qualities and significant upside... But I also think he is a 2-3 year project.

and Meck took away my fan card a long time ago...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Shouldn't it be:

Tebow help us if Tebow starts this year?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
i really hope mcd's not trying to convince himself, but instead truly considers tebow more than just 'a project'. all signs point to the former. getcha popcorn ready.
How do all signs point to the former? You think he's lying to himself?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Tebow = Brady + Adrian Peterson + concrete cyanide
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I'm good with the pick, and I think the kid has some real interesting qualities and significant upside... But I also think he is a 2-3 year project.

and Meck took away my fan card a long time ago...
I'm not quite sure why he has to be a 2-3 year project when thats more the mental side of the game. You think he's going to physically improve in 2-3 years? if he's picking up **** as easily as McD says he is, why would be need 2-3 years. This 2-3 years business just seems like something people say without any real reason behind it.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Tebow has so much pressure on him already, I kinda don't like the fact he's being compared to 3-time champion Brady.

But I love everything else they've said about him!!

Can't wait for TC this year!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Hearing McD talk like this... it scares me. Starting a rookie QB this year...? please just give him at least one season to get used to the speed of the game. PLEASE.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'm not quite sure why he has to be a 2-3 year project when thats more the mental side of the game. You think he's going to physically improve in 2-3 years? if he's picking up **** as easily as McD says he is, why would be need 2-3 years. This 2-3 years business just seems like something people say without any real reason behind it.
He's one of the winningest, most highly decorated college QB's ever... and he did this against SEC competition.

Yet 24 teams passed on him...

That tells me there is something to this "project" label he has.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
He's one of the winningest, most highly decorated college QB's ever... and he did this against SEC competition.

agreed, but on the flip side look at the QBs taken early on that teams thought would be superstars and have busted, lot to be said about the system, coaching staff, and players surrounded by the guy
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

This would make tons more sense if there were any rhyme or reason to draft success. Teams passed on Terrell Davis time and time again, yet he came right in and started as a rookie. So I'll ask again, what makes him a 2-3 project?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
This would make tons more sense if there were any rhyme or reason to draft success. Teams passed on Terrell Davis time and time again, yet he came right in and started as a rookie. So I'll ask again, what makes him a 2-3 project?
Mechanics, accuracy, a run first mentality, and familiarity running a pro system...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #20
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
That's almost guaranteed since Tebow is starting.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I like Tebow the person. I like Tebow the project. But all I can say is that I don't remember anyone with a slow, poor mechanic delivery ever coming into the NFL and finding any amount of long term success. Perhaps it's happened and I'm just being ignorant to it. But there's not a success story that immediately comes to mind.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:

So was Colt.

He went 3rd and will shame TeeBow.

No big deal we traded for Quinn.

Go Beavis....

Colt will be starting october.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #24
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I just wish McD would give Tebow some time off to fix the stock market....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Confidence is a huge deal. One of the rookies at the minicamp mentioned that TimTerriffic ;-) was showing leadership, bringing the rookies together.

Boy, McD does gush about Tebow. I can understand the resentment some people feel about this kid getting fawned over, teacher's pet, all that stuff. But Tebow knows the score, he's been the teacher's pet for a long time, he knows he has to earn the leadership position. Tebow I think does not have the illusion that he's gonna be given the team as his fiefdom, he's gonna work hard to earn the team's respect.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote