The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default A Fortified Front

A Fortified Front

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...&storyID=10111

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When the Broncos' 2009 campaign came to a close with an 8-8 record, the team knew what it needed to do to improve -- control the line of scrimmage.

Sure enough, within the first five days of free agency, the club had added 843 pounds of bulk on the defensive line.

But the overhaul didn't stop there. Next, the team moved on to the offensive line, snagging two linemen in the first three rounds of the draft, and closing out its crop of nine picks with three new linemen.

The addition of Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton and Eric Olsen -- all of whom can play multiple positions on the line -- did exactly what Head Coach Josh McDaniels and the front office set out to do after the season: increase competition.

"I think what we did that's really improved the competition at that spot is that we got bigger," McDaniels said. "I think that was a goal for us, both to assist us and protect us in the pocket, and then also being able to run the football."

The three new additions on the offensive line since the draft -- college free agents Paul Duncan and Chris Marinelli and 10th-year veteran free agent Maurice Williams -- fit the bill as well. Each of the new additions weighs at least 300 pounds, and the shortest of the group is Walton, who check in at 6-foot-3. The tallest -- Duncan and Marinelli -- are both 6-feet-7-inches.

They join Dustin Fry, a 6-foot-3, 326-pound center who also joined the team after the season, signing a future contract on January 7.

Having such a large group -- no pun intended -- of newcomers to the Broncos offensive line will help the transition for each player, according to Beadles.

"All offensive lineman are the same -- we always get along, no matter where we're at," said the second-round pick. "To be able to come in with these guys and build some camaraderie and work together and learn together (is great). Learning together is a huge thing. It's just better bouncing things off multiple guys and that's a definite advantage for us."

Another advantage the offensive linemen have is that each of them has the ability to play multiple positions along the line.

Olsen, McDaniels said, is a guard who can switch to center, Walton is a center who can switch to guard, Beadles is a tackle who can play guard and Duncan and Marinelli played both left and right tackle in college.

"We've got some versatility there that will help us," McDaniels said. "When you go to the game with seven linemen, obviously you need that to be present so that you can do what you need to do if you face an injury."

That's the approach the five rookie offensive linemen took when they took to the field for the first time as Broncos in last weekend's rookie minicamp.

McDaniels preaches that each player defines his own role on the team, and the linemen aren't taking that lightly. Each one has delved into the playbook not only for their position, but all of the slots along the offensive line.

"No matter if I'm playing one position or five positions, I think I'm a better player knowing what the guys next to me are doing," Beadles said. "I try to learn it as a whole. Maybe that's a little bit more difficult, but I think it's a better way to do it and makes me a better player."

Each player takes pride in their versatility, and each might be able to put it on display a little earlier than expected -- at least during the team's OTAs and minicamps in the coming months.

With Ryan Clady recovering from offseason surgery and Ryan Harris and Russ Hochstein working back from injuries that saw them placed on injured reserve in December last season, the young players have a chance to step up quickly.

Beadles said he and his teammates relish that opportunity.

"I think that's the biggest thing -- learning," he said. "The best way to learn is to go out and make mistakes, so I'm going to have plenty of opportunities to do that, I think. I hope I can get out there and learn from those mistakes and not make them over again."

For now, the newcomers to the line are taking it one day at a time, learning a new offense and new terminology and getting to know new teammates. Most importantly, they're doing it all together.

"While we're going to compete and try to get spots and earn our roles on this team, at the same time we're all in it together," Olsen said. "As offensive linemen, by nature that's what we do and that's what we're all about."

All the shyt McD gets at least he's doing what he said he would by fixing and getting bigger in the trenches
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

just curious...how "big" is McD? 5'3"? Does this maybe drive his size matters philosophy?
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
just curious...how "big" is McD? 5'3"? Does this maybe drive his size matters philosophy?
another dumb post brought to you by orinjkrush...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
He's actually 5'10 and 160 lbs.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Fortified front or maginot line?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
He's actually 5'10 and 160 lbs.
That is a problem. Most super-bowl winning teams have at least one member of the coaching staff that resembles a walrus. I think our best chance is Wink.
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
The addition of Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton and Eric Olsen -- all of whom can play multiple positions on the line -- did exactly what Head Coach Josh McDaniels and the front office set out to do after the season: increase competition.
J.D. Walton started 36 games in a row at center, every game all three years at Baylor. So I wonder why they say he can "play multiple positions"? Kinda like saying Seth Olsen can play center despite the fact he never has. They only seem to do this stuff with O-linemen ... they're doing the same position-lumping with Beadles, who is in reality a guard only.

Let's just stick Walton in the middle where he belongs ... my money says he'll be starting there opening day.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Don't be insulting Tsiguy's man.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Josh McDaniels is 5'10.

Mike Shanahan is 5'9...

So...yeah.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Josh McDaniels is 5'10.

Mike Shanahan is 5'9...

So...yeah.

This was before Shanny had heal implants to up himself to McD at 5'10
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
That is a problem. Most super-bowl winning teams have at least one member of the coaching staff that resembles a walrus. I think our best chance is Wink.
Championship

2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Seems many thought Josh should have had everything changed in one season. I guess he is doing things in a timely fashion. ZB is out and gone and beef is in.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
J.D. Walton started 36 games in a row at center, every game all three years at Baylor. So I wonder why they say he can "play multiple positions"? Kinda like saying Seth Olsen can play center despite the fact he never has. They only seem to do this stuff with O-linemen ... they're doing the same position-lumping with Beadles, who is in reality a guard only.

Let's just stick Walton in the middle where he belongs ... my money says he'll be starting there opening day.
Didnt Beadles play tackle in college and just projects better as a guard in the pros?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Weren't you complaining after Beadles was drafted that he was an OT in college, but the team projected him to play OG?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

JD Walton: 194 pancake blocks over the last two years, and 26 of Baylor's 33 rushing touchdowns came from a Walton lead block. SEXY!
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Championship

, I had no idea. That guy is perfect.
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Didnt Beadles play tackle in college and just projects better as a guard in the pros?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Weren't you complaining after Beadles was drafted that he was an OT in college, but the team projected him to play OG?
Oh my god YEEEEEES!

I admitted that I Googled quick and jumped the gun. Happy now?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinelegion View Post
jd walton: 194 pancake blocks over the last two years, and 26 of baylor's 33 rushing touchdowns came from a walton lead block. Sexy!
Schwing!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
Breaking news: Broncos just signed this guy...Only a 10 day contract, as he'll probably stroke out before the contract expires.

Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
another dumb post brought to you by orinjkrush...
another logicbomb from tsidouche. welcome to ignore world.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote