The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Default OT-Calif. students sent home...

Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo.

The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, the Morgan Hill Times reported. The boys told the newspaper they complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags.

"They said we were starting a fight," Dariano told the newspaper. "We were fuel to the fire."

The boys told Rodriguez and Principal Nick Boden that turning their shirts inside-out was disrespectful, so their parents decided to take them home, the newspaper reports.

"I just couldn't believe it," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mother, told the newspaper. "I'm an open-minded parent, but it's got to be on both sides. It can't be five kids singled out."

Galli told NBC Bay Area, "They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it."

In a statement released on Wednesday, the Morgan Hill Unified School District said it did not agree with the school's actions.

"In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today," the statement read. "The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

Attempts to reach school officials early Thursday were not successful. A secretary told the Morgan Hill Times that Boden and Rodriguez were unavailable for comment on Wednesday.

According to its website, Live Oak High School is a 1,300-student institution in the southern part of Santa Clara County, with most students residing in the nearby cities of Morgan Hill and San Jose.

"The student population reflects the rich ethnic and socioeconomic diversity of the community," the website reads.

More than 100 students were spotted wearing the colors of the Mexican flag -- red, white and green -- as they left school, including some who had the flag painted on their faces or arms, the Morgan Hill times reported.

While bandannas of any color are banned at the school, its dress code policy does not contain references to American flags.

"However, any clothing or decoration which detracts from the learning environment is prohibited," the policy reads. "The school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action."

Freshman Laura Ponce, who had a Mexican flag painted on her face and chest, told the Morgan Hill Times that Cinco de Mayo is the "only day" Mexican-American students can show their national pride.

"There was a lot of drama going on today," Ponce told the newspaper.

Some other Mexican-American students reportedly said their flags were taken away or asked to be put away, but no other students were sent home on Wednesday.

Eugene Volokh, a professor of law at the University of California-Los Angeles, said the students are protected under California Education Code 48950, which prohibits schools from enforcing a rule subjecting a high school student to disciplinary sanctions solely on the basis of conduct, that when engaged outside of campus, is protected by the First Amendment.

If the school could point to previous incidents sparked by students who wore garments with American flags, they could argue that the flag is likely to lead to "substantial disruption," Volokh said.

"If, for example, there had been fights over similar things at past events, if there had been specific threats made," he said. "But if [school officials] just say, 'Well, we think it might be offensive to people,' that's generally speaking not enough."

Volokh said the students and their parents likely have a winning case on their hands if they decide to take the matter to court.

"Oh yes, it's almost open and shut," he said.

Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and a Fox News legal analyst, said the incident appears to a "blatant" violation of the students' First Amendment right to free speech. She noted that inciting violence is an exception to a First Amendment legal defense, but Wiehl said she saw no indications that the students provoked anyone.

"Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a blatant violation of the First Amendment," said Wiehl, adding that uniforms are not required at the public school. "And they're wearing, of all horrific things, the American flag."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06...gs-cinco-mayo/

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I wonder if they'll let any of them wear the American flag after California secedes.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

California can **** off. Treating nationality and skin color like a ****ing obsession.

Christ. It's the ****ing United States. If you can't deal with our flag and you live here get the **** out.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I wonder if they'll let any of them wear the American flag after California secedes.
They'll end up like Greece if they have no more federal bailouts.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
California can **** off. Treating nationality and skin color like a ****ing obsession.

Christ. It's the ****ing United States. If you can't deal with our flag and you live here get the **** out.
I am dbfan21 and I approve of this message.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Dogsweat

Quote:
They'll end up like Greece if they have no more federal bailouts.
+5

The parallels of Greece and California are amazing.

Top it of with a major earthquake and California's destruction is imminent........

Maybe China will bail them out?

Dogsweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sorry if this sounds ignorant in advance.

Why is it that if Mexicans are so proud of their heritage and feel the need to wave around the flag of mexico, are they in the United States? Shouldn't the Hispanic community fighting for citizenship of millions of illegal immigrants be waving around the country's flag that they want to be in and want support from?

Maybe I'm generally just stupid and don't understand these things, but I'd like to think I'm using some common sense.

Also, that article pisses me off. You should always be able to wear your countries colors if you are in YOUR country.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

The liberals will be so proud of this story; exactly what they are striving for, I personally am nauseated by the story
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
DrFate
Lord of Order

Crazy world we live in...
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Merge with the thread in WRP forum....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

what happened to freedom of speech? What happened to pride of country?

I've seen hispanic people wearing Mexcan flagged themed shirts on the 4th of July and I didn't think one thing of it.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Sorry if this sounds ignorant in advance.

Why is it that if Mexicans are so proud of their heritage and feel the need to wave around the flag of mexico, are they in the United States? Shouldn't the Hispanic community fighting for citizenship of millions of illegal immigrants be waving around the country's flag that they want to be in and want support from?

Maybe I'm generally just stupid and don't understand these things, but I'd like to think I'm using some common sense.

Also, that article pisses me off. You should always be able to wear your countries colors if you are in YOUR country.
Becuase Mexicans feel that it's their land.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post

Its nice that Mexicans in Mexico feel that way. What about Americans in America?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
The boys told Rodriguez and Principal Nick Boden that turning their shirts inside-out was disrespectful, so their parents decided to take them home, the newspaper reports.
While I agree that these kids were probably trying to provoke a reaction, isn't that what teenagers do every day? Can't send 'em home for that. I'm pretty sure that the school's concern was not about being PC, however, but about protecting the safety of their students. The school was still wrong though.

My favorite part was the kids saying it was disrespectful to turn their clothes inside out. Isn't it considered disrespectful to wear the American flag as clothing in the first place?
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Well it's not so get the **** out of here unless you want to become a legal immigrant the correct way
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutigers View Post
The liberals will be so proud of this story; exactly what they are striving for, I personally am nauseated by the story
I'm sorry, but this is a real stupid statement. Yes there will be some liberals who will think this was the right decision, but many of them will be just as offended as you.

Just because Rush Limbaugh thinks that the gulf coast oil spill crisis is no big deal and that we shouldn't expend our resources to clean it up doesn't mean that all conservatives agree.

I'm personally nauseated by people drawing lines in the sand and stating that you're either on one side of the line or the other. Dude, there is a lot of middle ground in this world where people actually do agree on things. I think the majority of liberals and conservatives would agree that the actions of this school against these kids was wrong and overstepping.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

One article even said they adourned the school in Mexico flags. If that's true the principle needs to be fired because he/she probably just cost their school district some money
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutigers View Post
I would consider myself more liberal than not... and I am extremely offended by this story. So don't generalize based off of a few extremist ****s.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1273171779

How can anyone say this is disrespectful.
Attached Images

Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a real stupid statement. Yes there will be some liberals who will think this was the right decision, but many of them will be just as offended as you.

Just because Rush Limbaugh thinks that the gulf coast oil spill crisis is no big deal and that we shouldn't expend our resources to clean it up doesn't mean that all conservatives agree.

I'm personally nauseated by people drawing lines in the sand and stating that you're either on one side of the line or the other. Dude, there is a lot of middle ground in this world where people actually do agree on things. I think the majority of liberals and conservatives would agree that the actions of this school against these kids was wrong and overstepping.
Perfectly stated. I consider myself a progressive and feel like this assistant principal WAY overstepped his bounds. Doesn't seem proper at all, and seems like a very silly thing on which to take a stand.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:

Seriously... dude. What the hell is it with people always using him as an insult. People may hate him but the dude hardly thinks it's not a big deal. No person with any education would think it's not a big deal. It's a massive catastrophe.

I agree that not all liberals will agree with this. That said, when it comes to those who think the white man is bad etc, and that we should bend and break for the needs of illegals, other nationalities etc at the expense of citizens/our own nation - practically all of these people are liberals.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Well said.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
brother love
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo.

The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, the Morgan Hill Times reported. The boys told the newspaper they complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags.

"They said we were starting a fight," Dariano told the newspaper. "We were fuel to the fire."

"I just couldn't believe it," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mother, told the newspaper. "I'm an open-minded parent, but it's got to be on both sides. It can't be five kids singled out."

Galli told NBC Bay Area, "They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it."

In a statement released on Wednesday, the Morgan Hill Unified School District said it did not agree with the school's actions.

"In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today," the statement read. "The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

Attempts to reach school officials early Thursday were not successful. A secretary told the Morgan Hill Times that Boden and Rodriguez were unavailable for comment on Wednesday.

According to its website, Live Oak High School is a 1,300-student institution in the southern part of Santa Clara County, with most students residing in the nearby cities of Morgan Hill and San Jose.

"The student population reflects the rich ethnic and socioeconomic diversity of the community," the website reads.

More than 100 students were spotted wearing the colors of the Mexican flag -- red, white and green -- as they left school, including some who had the flag painted on their faces or arms, the Morgan Hill times reported.

While bandannas of any color are banned at the school, its dress code policy does not contain references to American flags.

"However, any clothing or decoration which detracts from the learning environment is prohibited," the policy reads. "The school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action."

Freshman Laura Ponce, who had a Mexican flag painted on her face and chest, told the Morgan Hill Times that Cinco de Mayo is the "only day" Mexican-American students can show their national pride.

"There was a lot of drama going on today," Ponce told the newspaper.

Some other Mexican-American students reportedly said their flags were taken away or asked to be put away, but no other students were sent home on Wednesday.

Eugene Volokh, a professor of law at the University of California-Los Angeles, said the students are protected under California Education Code 48950, which prohibits schools from enforcing a rule subjecting a high school student to disciplinary sanctions solely on the basis of conduct, that when engaged outside of campus, is protected by the First Amendment.

If the school could point to previous incidents sparked by students who wore garments with American flags, they could argue that the flag is likely to lead to "substantial disruption," Volokh said.

"If, for example, there had been fights over similar things at past events, if there had been specific threats made," he said. "But if [school officials] just say, 'Well, we think it might be offensive to people,' that's generally speaking not enough."

Volokh said the students and their parents likely have a winning case on their hands if they decide to take the matter to court.

"Oh yes, it's almost open and shut," he said.

Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and a Fox News legal analyst, said the incident appears to a "blatant" violation of the students' First Amendment right to free speech. She noted that inciting violence is an exception to a First Amendment legal defense, but Wiehl said she saw no indications that the students provoked anyone.

"Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a blatant violation of the First Amendment," said Wiehl, adding that uniforms are not required at the public school. "And they're wearing, of all horrific things, the American flag."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06...gs-cinco-mayo/

They were racially profiled by him because they were white!
brother love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Seriously... dude. What the hell is it with people always using him as an insult. People may hate him but the dude hardly thinks it's not a big deal. No person with any education would think it's not a big deal. It's a massive catastrophe.
His quote says otherwise:

"Now, lest we forget, ladies and gentlemen, the carbon tax bill, cap and trade that was scheduled to be announced on Earth Day. I remember that. And then it was postponed for a couple of days later after Earth Day, and then of course immigration has now moved in front of it. But this bill, the cap-and-trade bill, was strongly criticized by hardcore environmentalist wackos because it supposedly allowed more offshore drilling and nuclear plants, nuclear plant investment. So, since they're sending SWAT teams down there, folks, since they're sending SWAT teams to inspect the other rigs, what better way to head off more oil drilling, nuclear plants, than by blowing up a rig? I'm just noting the timing here."

He added later: "The ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left alone and left out there. It's natural. It's as natural as the ocean water is."
Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #25
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
His quote says otherwise:

"Now, lest we forget, ladies and gentlemen, the carbon tax bill, cap and trade that was scheduled to be announced on Earth Day. I remember that. And then it was postponed for a couple of days later after Earth Day, and then of course immigration has now moved in front of it. But this bill, the cap-and-trade bill, was strongly criticized by hardcore environmentalist wackos because it supposedly allowed more offshore drilling and nuclear plants, nuclear plant investment. So, since they're sending SWAT teams down there, folks, since they're sending SWAT teams to inspect the other rigs, what better way to head off more oil drilling, nuclear plants, than by blowing up a rig? I'm just noting the timing here."

He added later: "The ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left alone and left out there. It's natural. It's as natural as the ocean water is."
I heard his show a few days ago. That bull**** at the end never happened. There's no audio record of it whatsoever. Just typical political bull****.

Also. The ocean does take care of "natural" leaks. This one however is an assisted leak, which is far from natural.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 05-06-2010 at 01:01 PM..