The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

Default Orton & Cutler no interest in Elway

pulled this quote from Woody's mailbag

"Cutler and Orton had and have no interest in being around Elway, or he around them."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15027034

Wow! I knew Quitler was an arrogant SOB, but why does Orton want nothing to do w/ Elway?

thats blasphemy.. get him outta here.. so long cinderblock feet
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

We love scramblers in Denver.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Because they are professionals and probably couldn't give 2 ****s about Elway?
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtsmth View Post
Because they are professionals and probably couldn't give 2 ****s about Elway?
yeah that makes sense, NOT.. if they were professionals.. seems like they would want to pick the brain of a HOF QB

Last edited by i4jelway7; 05-06-2010 at 05:11 AM..
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
yeah that makes sense, NOT.. if they were professionals.. seems like they would want to pick the brain of a HOF QB
Maybe John is a dick?
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

Quote:
maybe john is a dick?
blasphemy!!!! Take it back right now!
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Maybe John is a dick?
Somebody had their Wheaties **** in. I'm sorry.

It's obvious that Cutler and Orton have no interest in Elway. It shows.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I was more interested in this line...

"John is on board with the Tim Tebow selection..."

And this one...

"Josh and John get along, and I think you'll see John at camp and maybe even helping the younger quarterbacks during the offseason."

And puzzled by this one because there are several possible meanings here...

"I think it's possible that Elway will become involved with the team again now that Shanahan is gone..."
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I think the fact that Tebow has already made a point of getting in touch with Elway is very telling.

It points to that idea that he wants as much input and help as he can possibly get. That's in stark contrast to Cutler who seemed to believe that he had it all figured out.

IMO it speaks to why Cutler hasn't improved much since coming into the league, and to why the prospect of Tebow is so intriguing.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I think Woody is an assbag. That's pretty much the only response I have to anything he vomits onto a page.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I think Woody is an assbag. That's pretty much the only response I have to anything he vomits onto a page.
Agreed.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Sometimes he's wrong, but at least his prognostications are based on being educated about the team and conversations with local personnel guys unlike the rest of national media who ignore us. Being in the lost time zone sucks.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

"Cutler and Orton had and have no interest in being around Elway, or he around them."

Wow! I knew Quitler was an arrogant SOB, but why does Orton want nothing to do w/ Elway?

with Cutler it went back to him being an arrogant prick thinking he was a HOF calibur player already and not needing to listen to one of the greatest ever, with Orton it is because he and John really have nothing in common outside of the position they play. Different playing styles, different expectations, it is just a pairing that wouldn't really have any purpose.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
with Cutler it went back to him being an arrogant prick thinking he was a HOF calibur player already and not needing to listen to one of the greatest ever, with Orton it is because he and John really have nothing in common outside of the position they play. Different playing styles, different expectations, it is just a pairing that wouldn't really have any purpose.
Wrong, Orton and Elway both like to get their drink on. They could sit down over a couple of ****.tails.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Wrong, Orton and Elway both like to get their drink on. They could sit down over a couple of ****.tails.
and actually based on photos Jay also likes to get his drink on.

As far as I could tell this is one guys' opinion that neither wanted to deal with Elway. He could be taking a comment made by either one out of context. And frankly, I could see either one of them being intimidated by the presence of Elway, he is a living legend and basically every QB to follow has been compared and found lacking so it might be a touch difficult to talk to him as the guys following him.

Last edited by Miss I.; 05-06-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Miss I. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:

i'm over Orton. let him start this year and then trade his ass to the first team willing to offer any sort of value in return or let him leave by free agency or whatever. he's not the future. he's just a temp.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
As far as I could tell this is one guys' opinion that neither wanted to deal with Elway. He could be taking a comment made by either one out of context. And frankly, I could see either one of them being intimidated by the presence of Elway, he is a living legend and basically every QB to follow has been compared and found lacking so it might be a touch difficult to talk to him as the guys following him.
It still points to the fundamental differences in character between Tebow and the other two.

Tebow is neither too arrogant nor to intimidated to talk to contact Elway. That's encouraging to me.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
It still points to the fundamental differences in character between Tebow and the other two.

Tebow is neither too arrogant nor to intimidated to talk to contact Elway. That's encouraging to me.
I agree with that.
Miss I. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Everyone knows John Elway isn't a saint but hell if I was QB I'd be picking his brain.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Here we go, the start of the homer-fueled Orton bashing is here
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Woody, I see that CU had no players drafted in this year's NFL draft. At one time CU was known for the amount of players who went on to pro careers. Is this another sign of the coming apocalypse if CU sticks with Dan Hawkins?

Marty, Fort Collins

Marty: I, too, noticed. For the longest time, CU was a fertile ground for offensive linemen and skill-position players (running backs, wide receivers, cornerbacks, safeties, several quarterbacks) and, of course, a stream of linebackers.

Yes, it's a reflection on Dan Hawkins. He hasn't recruited pro-caliber talent, for the most part.

I think you'll see a few offensive linemen come out of this current bunch, and Tyler Polumbus did make it with the Broncos as a free agent.

Hawkins, as you know, had another mediocre recruiting class this year.

What else do you want me to say? Bill McCartney, Tricky Ricky Neuheisel and Gary Barnett did recruit pro players.
lmao, I work with this guy, he is sitting about 15 feet away from me right now.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I wouldn't fault any QB of the Broncos from trying to distance himself from the Elway shadow. John was an awesome, awesome player - but some Broncos fans really have to let it go. More importantly, I wish they'd realize that a great QB for the Broncos doesn't have to play like John Elway, and an awesome WR doesn't have to be like Ed McCaffrey, etc. So many casual fans I talk to around town want to recreate Bronco greats from the past instead of just building a winning team. I had a customer the other day who was bi*ching about the team to which I said, "Geese you wouldn't be happy with Tom Brady would you?" His response was, "No. He's nothing like Elway." Some of the more football-smart fans such as those on the Mane would be shocked at the number of people that's the opinion of.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I wouldn't fault any QB of the Broncos from trying to distance himself from the Elway shadow. John was an awesome, awesome player - but some Broncos fans really have to let it go. More importantly, I wish they'd realize that a great QB for the Broncos doesn't have to play like John Elway, and an awesome WR doesn't have to be like Ed McCaffrey, etc. So many casual fans I talk to around town want to recreate Bronco greats from the past instead of just building a winning team. I had a customer the other day who was bi*ching about the team to which I said, "Geese you wouldn't be happy with Tom Brady would you?" His response was, "No. He's nothing like Elway." Some of the more football-smart fans such as those on the Mane would be shocked at the number of people that's the opinion of.
I think you're off base with this. We all know there will never be another Elway. This is a matter of two slugs for QB's who could use the advice of a great. No one expects them to be like Elway, we expect them to perform like QB's.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I think you're off base with this. We all know there will never be another Elway. This is a matter of two slugs for QB's who could use the advice of a great. No one expects them to be like Elway, we expect them to perform like QB's.
I'd think that your line of thinking would be wrong.

I've seen people on this very forum say that Orton is a bad QB, citing his lack of mobility. I've seen people outright say they do not want the Broncos to have anything but a gunslinger QB who scrambles around and takes risks looking for big plays.

This goes directly counterculture to what wins the NFL today, when "game managers" like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees cut defenses to ribbons by consistently making 1st downs.

But that is what a lot of Broncos fans have even outright said they want, because its what we had in our last great QB.

Orton was a solidly above average performer last year despite moving to a new team, learning a new offense, and having some serious weaknesses along the offensive line. He gets absolutely no respect around here for that though.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #25
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

I wonder how many of you call your wife or girlfriends ex. And ask them what worked.

Ok not the samething but..
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote