The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default "(Drafting Tebow) puts the Broncos behind five years"

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...ading-for-fall

"The NFL is an equal-opportunity league, but teams that make a few wrong decisions can be kept out of the parity party for several seasons.

The Denver Broncos' bumpy downhill ride began in December 2008. At 8-5 and with a three-game lead over the San Diego Chargers atop the AFC West, Denver lost its final three games and missed the playoffs.

Josh McDaniels gets players he wants, but like Tim Tebow it's not a quick fix.The disappointing finish resulted in the surprise firing of coach/GM Mike Shanahan. And just more than a year later, the Broncos' three young offensive stars -- Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler -- have been booted out of town, too.

Shanahan delivered two Super Bowl rings with John Elway and turned the team into a consistent contender that made the playoffs 7-of-14 seasons, despite a revolving quarterbacks and running backs. Broncos brass made a bold move in replacing Shanahan with much younger Josh McDaniels.

An NFL pro personnel director said it's obvious that McDaniels has a clear vision for what type of players he's seeking, but it's no sort of quick-fix plan.

Now that McDaniels has won personality wars with Cutler and Marshall, the pressure to deliver has been ratcheted up. McDaniels' future is connected to whether he can develop first-round project Tim Tebow into a winning NFL quarterback.

Skepticism abounds.

"The story of the 2010 draft will continue to be Tebow," NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger said. "It's a move that puts the Broncos behind five years."

Before the Tebow experiment is conducted, there are more pressing problems in Denver. Injuries continue to nag rookie wide receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. All-Pro left tackle Ryan Clady's recent knee injury also could be a major setback. The defense must adjust to losing Mike Nolan, one of the NFL's best 3-4 scheme coordinators.

The Chargers remain the class of the AFC West, and the Chiefs and Raiders both made offseason improvements.
Under Shanahan, the Broncos were used to dominating Oakland. Now, the Broncos are the more uncertain team."

Wow -- even if you don't like Tebow, even if you don't like the Broncos, this seems to be a fairly foolish statement. We took him at #25, for God's sake, not #1. He wasn't even our first draft choice! If Tebow ends up being a total washout, it's simply not that big of a setback. Also, we've got a servicable caretaker QB (Orton), a reclamation project QB (Quinn), and a long-term developmental prospect QB (Brandstater) on the roster, so it's not like we were without hope at the position before the draft.

Frankly, I've been surprised at the level of hate from some members of the national media (Prisco from CBS Sports, Baldinger and Iyer here, the chuckleheads at NFL Network, etc., etc.)
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

One ****ing 1st round pick doesn't put a team 5 years behind. What a stupid ****.

Hell, technically it's a 2nd round pick. It just became a 1st because we moved down with our main 1st.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

JaMarcus Russell put the Raiders behind.

It's not so much about the pick as it is what the player is intended to be.

McDaniels is going all-in with Tebow as his franchise QB.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If this is the case half the teams in the NFL just set themselves back 5 years. I imagine the bust ration on 1st round picks is around 50/50.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Tebow's a rookie. The player who has to deliver... at essentially a Pro Bowl level... this year to silence McDaniels' critics... is Alfonso Smith. That controversial trade last year will haunt McDaniels... and might even ultimately cost him his job... if Smith winds up being a bust.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

Nonsense.

Let's say (for example) the light finally comes on for Brady Quinn, and he ends up being a pro bowl quarterback. How, in this plausible scenario, is our franchise set back 5 years, regardless of what we intended Tebow to be?
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Couldn't be further from the truth with Quinn and Orton still on the roster.

Denver doesn't need Tebow to start this year. Big difference.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

McDaniels invested pick 25 and a 1/5 of the salary to Tebow. He won't hurt the franchise long term like JaMarcus did in Oakland.

Also, in two years if it doesn't work out Denver can easily go out and find another QB to trade for or give a contract to. It is much more difficult to do that when you are strapped behind a failing 1st round picks contract like Dorsey, Albert, Hali, Sims who you select higher and have to give them a 5 year window to play out that initial hefty contract.

Wow, I looked up Chiefs first round draft picks and it is no wonder that franchise has been horrible for close to a decade.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Tebow's a rookie. The player who has to deliver... at essentially a Pro Bowl level... this year to silence McDaniels' critics... is Alfonso Smith. That controversial trade last year will haunt McDaniels... and might even ultimately cost him his job... if Smith winds up being a bust.
Now THAT, was a stupid ****ing trade. We could have had Earl ****ING Thomas.

I hope I'm proven wrong though and Smith turns into Darrell Green 2.0.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Right. Josh's job rides on the fate of a 2nd round cornerback.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
It wasn't a 2nd round CB based on what we gave up for him. He's ='s the 14th pick in this draft.

Smith is tied to Earl Thomas.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
It wasn't a 2nd round CB based on what we gave up for him. He's ='s the 14th pick in this draft.

Smith is tied to Earl Thomas.
Yeah I'm aware of the fact that we made that trade, but regardless the kid was a 2nd rounder and will be judged accordingly by those who matter. NFL front office types aren't going to look at it in the convulted "well look who ended up going at that pick!" way that most fans do.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would suggest that Josh's job will be looked at more on how he does in the offseason again next year and how this team improves from this year to next. I think this will be an in between year where he teaches "his" players the system and then next year it will be time to roll. Hopefully all the aging free agents we have signed will still be able to play because that is really what is going to help/hurt McDaniels.

The only way he gets fired after this season is if the Broncos looked completely lost and we go something like 4-12. The season after that I suspect he will have to either make the playoffs or have great support from his locker room to keep his job.

Really, I think he is more tied to all the vets who are going to have to play well in two years than Tebow.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
He's going to be haunted (second-guessed, criticized, whatever) by that (IMO, stupid) trade of a future 1st for a 2nd round pick.... if the player he reached for winds up being a bust. This year's draft featured far better prospects than Alfonso Smith.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Note: Alphonso Smith is going to look a lot better this year than last. DB's don't normally come into this league and play well there first year. I still don't like the trade but I think he will be an average DB at worst.

Probably McDaniels worst move as coach so far in terms of trade value. Right now Smth is looking like he should have went in the third to fifth round.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #16
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Now THAT, was a stupid ****ing trade. We could have had Earl ****ING Thomas.

I hope I'm proven wrong though and Smith turns into Darrell Green 2.0.
McDaniels will be criticized... and justly so... if Smith remains buried on the bench by the likes of the geriatric Ty Law.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #17
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
McDaniels will be criticized... and justly so... if Smith remains buried on the bench by the likes of the geriatric Ty Law.
I wonder if you were so critical of some of the head scratchers Shanny drafted over the years.

Shanny did far worse than Al Smith more than once.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
He's going to be haunted (second-guessed, criticized, whatever) by that (IMO, stupid) trade of a future 1st for a 2nd round pick.... if the player he reached for winds up being a bust. This year's draft featured far better prospects than Alfonso Smith.
McDanials never drafted anyone named Alfonso Smith.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #19
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I wonder if you were so critical of some of the head scratchers Shanny drafted over the years.

Shanny did far worse than Al Smith more than once.
Does it matter what I thought of every decision Shanahan made? I disapproved of many of them, fwiw (and can cite more than just a few instances). It doesn't change the fact that McDaniels' draft day '09 decision to trade this year's first round draft pick (which ended up being #14 overall) to move up in a weak draft and pick Alfonso Smith was risky and controversial... far more controversial than his reach this year for Tebow at #25. "I" believe we just might have been able to find a better player than the seemingly-mediocre Alfonso Smith... at #14 this year.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #20
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
McDanials never drafted anyone named Alfonso Smith.
You're right. McDanials didn't.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #21
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

You guys are nuts if you think Orton or Quinn are in the long-term picture at this point.

In two seasons (maybe one) Tim Tebow will take the first snap of the season as your starter. And then either your franchise will be rejuvenated or you're going to spend a couple years in hell before McDaniels is gone.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #22
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

People actually read this vomit
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #23
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You guys are nuts if you think Orton or Quinn are in the long-term picture at this point.

In two seasons (maybe one) Tim Tebow will take the first snap of the season as your starter. And then either your franchise will be rejuvenated or you're going to spend a couple years in hell before McDaniels is gone.
Two years from now Tim Tebow will be better than whatever product KC runs out on the field. Whether that is Luck/Locker who they draft with there top 10 pick again this year or Cassell. Mark that down!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #24
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Considering we at least have a solid option under center between Kyle Orton who has started a couple years in the NFLand played at a fairly high level, Brady Quinn who has also started a bunch of games and is a former 1st round pick, along with Tebow... I don't see how you can draw a conclusion that this move sets us back 5 years at a position where we're fairly loaded.

This is a pretty stupid article and says a lot more about the writer than it does about our QB position.

Last edited by bpc; 05-06-2010 at 03:19 AM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Does it matter what I thought of every decision Shanahan made? I disapproved of many of them, fwiw (and can cite more than just a few instances). It doesn't change the fact that McDaniels' draft day '09 decision to trade this year's first round draft pick (which ended up being #14 overall) to move up in a weak draft and pick Alfonso Smith was risky and controversial... far more controversial than his reach this year for Tebow at #25. "I" believe we just might have been able to find a better player than the seemingly-mediocre Alfonso Smith... at #14 this year.
1. Its Alphonso Smith, not Alfonso. Is it really too much to ask of Broncos fans to know how to spell the names of players they claim the entire future of the franchise hinges on?

2. Deep draft or weak draft, Alphonso Smith is a better QB prospect than everyone but Joe Haden from this draft, and he gives Haden a run for his money. The depth or shallowness of a draft is a very general thing and in this draft the top end for corners lacked any kind of real elite guy. If we'd stayed at 14 we'd still be in real need for a young corner of the future, and we'd likely have taken Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, or Devin McCourty to fill that massive need. All prospects that Alphonso Smith coming out last year would stand toe to toe with quite easily.

3. Teams draft busts a hell of a lot higher than the #14 overall pick. The opportunity cost associated with acquiring Smith is marginal at best since we made 2 1st round selections and 3 second round selections in '09 now followed up by 2 1st round selections, 1 second round selection, and 2 third round selections this year. We've taken 5 guys in the first three rounds the last two years, we've been quite pick-rich and one move does not make or break that entire series of moves.

What WILL define Josh's future here is how those 10 players pan out as a whole. There will be busts or underachievers. But at least half of them need to become better than average starters, and at least a couple of them need to be pro-bowlers.

He's got the guys he wants and now its time he shows that they can play.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote