The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Default Kegerator recommendations?

My wife and I have agreed to use part of our tax refund on a kegerator. It's like a dream come true!

Does anyone have any good recommendations on brands/models? I want to buy online since it seems like you can find just about anything cheaper that way. And the savings+no sales tax should outweigh the cost of shipping.

I'm looking for a pretty standard kegerator. Big enough to fit a barrel, and preferably the larger Coors version with the rubber casing, just in case. I don't want to find a good deal on a barrel only to find it won't fit because of the shell type.

It just needs one tap. I'm not too sure what size CO2 tank would be best. Or maybe if it's cheaper to find a used one around town and it would save a good chunk on the initial cost of the kegerator, that would be better. What about a pressure regulator and and other miscellaneous accessories that are vital to a proper beer-enjoying experience?

Thanks for your advice!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I got an old fridge from a family member and you can go to flea markets or garage sales and find one on the cheap.

I got my regulator, tube, and tap at the liquor store for around $100.00. They also had CO2 tanks you can get and just turn in to refill when empty kind of like a propane tank.

Then I just installed it myself. I only use it for BBQs and other functions as I don't drink enough beer to warrant having it on tap all the time.

Some other tips are to make sure you clean your lines on a regular basis. If you don't the beer won't taste as good and will be constantly foamy.

A cool thing to do if you can find one is get an old fridge from 60's and earlier that has that old round look and weighs more than a 747. They look cool when made into kegerators.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This makes me want to cry. Congratulations buddy. Congratufreakinglations.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Borks147
the dude abides...

now you just have to get into homebrewing!
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

And don't worry there are ways to turn your kegerator into a homebrewerator too. That is a goal of mine!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

I should also add that my price limit is about $700. Definitely not the range for industrial-strength or anything, but I'm hoping I can find a good one for that much. I am toying with the idea of converting a fridge/freezer, but only slightly. I like the fact that a pre-made kegerator would be the exact size. Meaning, it wouldn't be larger than necessary and take up extra room for what purpose it's serving.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

$700 can get you 3 or 4
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
$700 can get you 3 or 4
Yeah, converting a fridge or freezer will definitely save money compared to buying a pre-made one!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
Yeah, converting a fridge or freezer will definitely save money compared to buying a pre-made one!
Yeah its kind of what look you want. Those pre-made have that up to date clean look that will tie into any room or even a deck.

The conversion has that garage look where you sit around with the guys on lawn chairs look.

It just depends on what your taste is.

Either way it dispenses beer at a temperature that makes it cool and tasty. Some say that is the definition of perfection.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

UPDATE!

I went over my approximate "limit" of $700. But it was worth it. And yes, I know that I could've bought a fridge/freezer and then converted it for around $400. But I just like the way the pre-made kegerators look. This isn't going in a garage or man cave. It's gonna be in our house, near the living room, so both size and looks were important. I didn't want a big fridge or chest freezer with a tap sticking out of it clogging up the hallway.

I found a S-M-O-K-I-N-G deal on an incredibly nice kegerator. It is a Beverage-Air BM23-B. I guess it's technically a commercial kegerator, but a lot of people have them in their homes.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/refri...eer/bm23.shtml

No, I did not buy it from that site. But that price is what I saw everywhere. Other websites, even eBay, were all around $1,100 - $1,400. No way in hell I was gonna spend that much. But then I found one on eBay for $675 + $80 shipping. The guy said he had 8 of them, all brand new in boxes never opened. Really weird to see them so cheap, but I thought, what the heck...eBay covers you and refunds your money if you get screwed by the seller, so I bought it! The guy actually called me on my phone an hour after I paid for it to let me know he was shipping it out today, and it should arrive Monday or Tuesday. SWEET!

The only downside is that unlike the other kegerators I was looking at, this one doesn't come with a CO2 tank, regulator, or coupler (the part that you tap into the keg). So I need to buy those parts myself. I work for a beer distributor, so I am hopeful that I'll be able to get at least some of that stuff cheap or even free from the draft techs.

One really cool feature about this kegerator (which I didn't see on any of the cheaper ones) is that the tower itself is cooled. This will keep the line cold all the way to the tap and greatly reduce any foam problems that normally result from beer lines going from cold in the box to warm in the tower.

Cheers!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Congrats dude. It's every guys dream to have one.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Dude can I have your wife? Or can she at least talk to mine?

U lucky man!
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Dude can I have your wife? Or can she at least talk to mine?

U lucky man!
DITTO
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Thanks guys! But I think I'm gonna have to keep her...you don't find women like her around every corner ya know!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

The recession is officially over.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think your post on here was more to brag about how righteous your ole' lady is than any actual advice you might actually get... and to you sir, I say 'congrats.'
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
I think your post on here was more to brag about how righteous your ole' lady is than any actual advice you might actually get... and to you sir, I say 'congrats.'
I honestly did want advice! I figured at least some people on here had some kegerator experience. But since the thread flamed out and fell off page 1 after the first day, I just decided to do all my own research and make an informed decision sans Orange Mane. Any semblance of bragging that may have occurred? Nothing but an unfortunate byproduct!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
BFDD
Team America **** YEAH!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Atwater

Since this is no longer a thread about advice and just a show off thread. Figured I'd show off my kegerator.

This is what the 15g keg is.

And my homebrew that I kegged last weekend

Anyone want to come over? I've got way way to much beer :-P
BFDD is offline   Reply With Quote