The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Default Sayers says Bears 'haven't done a good job'

Sayers says Bears 'haven't done a good job'
By ERIC OLSON, AP

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) One of the greatest Chicago Bears of all time isn't happy with the team's state of affairs.

Gale Sayers took aim Tuesday at coach Lovie Smith, quarterback Jay Cutler and personnel moves that left the Bears without a pick until the third round of the recent NFL draft.

``Cutler hasn't done the job,'' Sayers said. ``Urlacher, I don't know how good he's going to be coming back. He's 33 years old. They need a couple wide receivers, a couple defensive backs. They haven't done a good job.

``If Lovie doesn't do it this year, I think he's gone. He had a good team the Super Bowl year. Nothing came together for him the last couple years.''

The 66-year-old Sayers was back in his hometown as the featured speaker at a booster banquet for Boys Town. He also met with students at the nationally acclaimed home for troubled youth.

Sayers is chairman and CEO of Sayers Inc., a computer business headquartered in Vernon Hills, Ill. He also works in athletic fundraising at Kansas, his alma mater, and is involved in a number of charitable causes in the Chicago area.

Other than a few public appearance he makes on behalf of the Bears, he said, he has little contact with the team these days.

``I go to every game I can,'' he said. ``Yes, I do live and die with them.''

So he knows well that the Bears lost star linebacker Brian Urlacher to a season-ending injury in last year's opener at Green Bay, a big loss for a team that was hoping to contend in the NFC.

The Bears, who traded Kyle Orton and 2009-10 first-round picks to Denver for Cutler, finished 7-9 in Cutler's first season in Chicago and missed the playoffs for the third straight year. The Bears have overhauled their coaching staff - keeping Smith - and signed pass rusher Julius Peppers to a six-year deal.

Sayers was the most explosive offensive player in the NFL in the late 1960s. He retired from football in 1971 after the second of two devastating knee injuries and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility (1977).

Sayers, who scored six touchdowns and gained 336 all-purpose yards in a game against San Francisco in 1965, is best known for his speed and elusiveness. He was one of the first running backs to return punts and kicks.

``I had some good moves and I used them very well,'' he said. ``The person who reminds me of myself is Barry Sanders. We both used the whole field.''

He shook his head when reminded that some pundits have compared the New Orleans Saints' Reggie Bush with him.

``You can't compare that, because he gets hurt too much,'' Sayers said. ``He's a fine young man. He's a little light. He's not a player who's going to carry 25 times a game. He'll get five carries, catch three passes and run back a couple punts.''

Sayers pointed out that he made $50,000 in his final season and a total of $275,000 over his entire career. He said he would like to be playing today.

``You know why? Because of the money,'' he said. ``I wouldn't change my game. I probably would be just as good because I would be on AstroTurf. The money, that's the key right now. Everybody is making so much. A person snapping the football is making a million dollars.''

http://www.comcast.net/articles/spor...ers-Boys.Town/

And on the eve of his birthday no less...
He's not saying anything we haven't read here since the trade.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Colonolebeef and jhns will be here shortly to defend their boyfriend. Their old stand by "jilted lover" attack won't work on Sayers. Probably have to go with the "Cutler will be fine all evidence to the contrary" and then insist he's just that one franchise QB that needs "a good line, good receivers and a strong defense to show his potential" even though that just means he's the same as every other QB in the league.

Last edited by Kaylore; 05-05-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Jhiz can't because a pro said it. If a football player says it than it mist be True.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Probably have to go with the "Cutler will be fine all evidence to the contrary" and then insist he's just that one franchise QB that needs "a good line, good receivers and a strong defense to show his potential"
And daylight... don't forget daylight.

Can't very well expect him to play well in primetime, it's dark out for God's sake!!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Woo hoo! Cutler hate. Hasn't been enough of it in my life lately. Welcome back, old friend.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What a bunch of children.

I agree with Sayers. Cutler didn't play well and the Bears have made many bad personel moves lately. That isn't saying much. When Cutler retires in 10+ years and hasn't gotten any better, then come talk to me. You guys really believe that trade was only about last season? If that is true, how did we win the trade at 8-8? It doesn't seem to have made us better at all.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
Woo hoo! Cutler hate. Hasn't been enough of it in my life lately. Welcome back, old friend.
Some may give Cutler some man love but

Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I don't miss that guy one bit
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Colonolebeef and jhns will be here shortly to defend their boyfriend. Their old stand by "jilted lover" attack won't work on Sayers. Probably have to go with the "Cutler will be fine all evidence to the contrary" and then insist he's just that one franchise QB that needs "a good line, good receivers and a strong defense to show his potential" even though that just means he's the same as every other QB in the league.
Wait, you know a QB that did something without a team around him? Really? Do you care to tell us who that is?

Yes, that one man team thing is a great argument. I don't know why anyone would be dumb enough to dispute it.

Wow....
Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Wait, you know a QB that did something without a team around him? Really? Do you care to tell us who that is?

pwnd
Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

pwned again.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
pwnd
Not even close.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:

pwnd
jhns is such a ****ing moron
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post

pwned again.
So now Manning is the only good player on his team?

You guys haven't watched much football. Your posts are good entertainment though.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
Why thanks. At least this moron knows a little something about the Broncos past.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So now Manning is the only good player on his team?

You guys haven't watched much football. Your posts are good entertainment though.
Every team has good players.

But Manning goes down for the year in late August and the Colts don't sniff a .500 record in all honesty.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Tom Brady won a SB throwing to guys like Deion Branch.

Drew Brees played with an average line, above average receivers and an average defense and won a SB and MVP title.

Manning has had some of his best years, statistically and in terms of wins, when his team was beaten up. He won MVP with some rookie receivers and a rotating offensive line.

Most of all, Jhiz, Cutler's interceptions were largely a result of him making bad plays and had nothing to do with him being under pressure or being behind. The San Fran game is a great example where even after four interceptions they are still in a position to win it and he throws a fifth int in the wanning moments of the game AND HE WASN'T UNDER PRESSURE. There were about five that could be pinned on the receivers. The rest of the problems had nothing to do with his offensive line. This is a fact and one that you and the rest of you Cutler sluts won't even touch.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
Every team has good players.

But Manning goes down for the year in late August and the Colts don't sniff a .500 record in all honesty.
Kaylor made it very clear. The requirments are no o-line, no receivers, no defense. You just named a QB that has consistently had a top o-line, great receivers, and even a great defense the year they won the SB.

Nice try though.

Last edited by jhns; 05-05-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #20
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:

pwnd
ChaChing!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
What took you guys so long to this out. Ignoring the Ignorant is an easy fix.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Drew Brees played with an average line, above average receivers and an average defense and won a SB and MVP title.

Manning has had some of his best years, statistically and in terms of wins, when his team was beaten up. He won MVP with some rookie receivers and a rotating offensive line.

Brady won with an excellent line and a top defense. He also had a good run game.

Brees won with a good o-line, very good receivers, very good run game, and an alright defense.

Manning has had a top o-line, great receivers, good run game his entire career. They even had a top defense the year they won the SB.

Good job not knowing anything about the NFL though. This is a team sport. You don't win without a team. You guys saying otherwise is very funny to me. Especially with the **** talk.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #23
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Khan made it very clear. The requirments are no o-line, no receivers, no defense. You just named a QB that has consistently had a top o-line, great receivers, and even a great defense the year they won the SB.

Nice try though.
Um, no he didn't, and when did this argument become "winning a SB" and about not sucking? I'm talking about just playing well, not winning a title. The latter requires the former, but the former does not require a great line, great receivers and solid defense.

Cutler sucked last year. He wasn't average, he was BAD. The rest of those guys were good when things went bad around them. Manning was killed by retirements and injuries along his offensive line, Harrison's decline and a banged up defense and put up great numbers. This isn't about discussing championships, it's about discussing not sucking, which Cutler has yet to do.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Khan made it very clear. The requirments are no o-line, no receivers, no defense. You just named a QB that has consistently had a top o-line, great receivers, and even a great defense the year they won the SB.

Nice try though.
Yeah, that 32nd ranked run D was pretty much the '85 Bears on steroids.

The O-Line is so consistently "great" because Manning is pretty much a God at changing his protections to make sure they're matched up well. They're a solid group that would look a lot less stellar with a lesser QB back there.

Anyway, I've read your posts before and thus have no real interest in pursuing this any further.

You take care, and keep on reaching for that rainbow.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #25
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:

Most of all, Jhiz, Cutler's interceptions were largely a result of him making bad plays and had nothing to do with him being under pressure or being behind. The San Fran game is a great example where even after four interceptions they are still in a position to win it and he throws a fifth int in the wanning moments of the game AND HE WASN'T UNDER PRESSURE. There were about five that could be pinned on the receivers. The rest of the problems had nothing to do with his offensive line. This is a fact and one that you and the rest of you Cutler sluts won't even touch.