The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Klis: Bounty of Cutler deal now in place

It took two drafts and another week of intense concentration to follow the Broncos' bouncing draft picks, but the results are in on the Jay Cutler trade.

Here's what the Broncos got: starting quarterback Kyle Orton, starting outside linebacker Robert Ayers, first-round receiver Demaryius Thomas, third-round receiver Eric Decker, one-half of tight end Richard Quinn (Bears' draft pick plus one more to get him) and one-third of quarterback Tim Tebow (draft pick plus two more).

The haul is stunning.

On paper, the Broncos have a chance to make this the NFL's most significant blockbuster trade since 1989, when Jimmy Johnson used Herschel Walker to resurrect the Dallas Cowboys' franchise.

Now all the Broncos need is for their acquired players to make the ever-difficult transfer from looking good on paper to becoming productive on the field.

If Ayers and Quinn can rebound from disappointing rookie seasons, if Thomas and Decker can recover from their injured feet, if Tebow can become all that, then Orton may go from the early centerpiece of the deal to an afterthought.

Keep in mind the only player who has made the Pro Bowl since the trade was an afterthought. In return for the Broncos' haul, the Bears got Cutler and a fifth-round pick that turned out to be receiver Johnny Knox.

Knox was named to the NFC Pro Bowl team last season as a returner.

"I was aware I was part of the trade, but I didn't know any of the specifics," Knox said at the Pro Bowl in Miami. "All I know, I was hoping to get drafted and was glad I did."

The trade, as it initially was constructed, sent Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round pick (Knox) to the Bears in exchange for Orton, a 2009 first-round pick (Ayers), a 2009 third- round pick (hold on) and a 2010 first-round pick (hold on some more).

Last season, the Broncos packaged their own third- round pick with the third- rounder they got from the Bears to move into the second round to take Quinn.

This year, the Broncos took their No. 11 overall pick from the Bears, traded down to No. 13 while picking up a fourth- round pick (No. 113 overall) from San Francisco. The Broncos then moved down again to No. 24 overall in exchange for two of Philadelphia's third- round picks (Nos. 70 and 87 overall).

The Broncos moved up from No. 24 to No. 22 by sending the No. 113 overall pick they got from San Francisco to New England and took Thomas.

They kept their No. 87 pick and took Decker.

They packaged the No. 70 pick they received from Philly with two of their own picks to take Tebow.

Two quarterbacks, two receivers, a pass rusher and a blocking tight end.

Even the harshest critics of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders would say their draft maneuverings were nothing short of brilliant.

It's the wisdom of their selections — and decision to trade Cutler in the first place — that will come into question until the players produce, and the Broncos win.

Last edited by HEAV; 05-02-2010 at 12:47 PM..
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Let's see the actual reward in next 5 yrs before we celebrate what's we got on paper for Cutler trade.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 05-02-2010 at 12:36 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Let's see the actual reward in next 5 yrs before we celebrate what's we got on paper for Cutler trade.
Conversely, Cutler is a disaster, so let's see if trading him is even worth talking about in 5 years. Could have been addition by subtraction.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Conversely, Cutler is a disaster, so let's see if trading him is even worth talking about in 5 years. Could have been addition by subtraction.
For sure. Even if all our picks are not great we've already seen the type of player cutler is and that's one who is regressing.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Last season, the Broncos packaged their own third- round pick with the third- rounder they got from the Bears to move into the second round to take Quinn.
Maybe I'm not following too closely, but I believe we received the Steelers 4th in that trade (we moved up to Steelers last pick of round 2, gave them the two 3rds and received their 4th). In that case, if we are counting 1/2 of Quinn, shouldn't we also add in Seth Olsen who we took with that 4th?

It's all pretty confusing.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Hopefully Orton will have a productive season while both Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow get up to speed and the Broncos are able to trade Orton for some more future picks. The Cutler trade could give the Broncos more.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

We won't know who won the deal for another 2 years. The balance of who 'won' rests entirely with Cutler.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Maybe I'm not following too closely, but I believe we received the Steelers 4th in that trade (we moved up to Steelers last pick of round 2, gave them the two 3rds and received their 4th). In that case, if we are counting 1/2 of Quinn, shouldn't we also add in Seth Olsen who we took with that 4th?

It's all pretty confusing.
Exactly my thought. Unless I am missing something Olsen is also part of that deal.

And if we can trade Orton for a mid-late round pick, that should also get included.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
We won't know who won the deal for another 2 years. The balance of who 'won' rests entirely with Cutler.
And Knox.

Don't count him out. He looks like a future superstar.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Orton will be a free agent at the end of the year. Unless we plan on francise tagging him I don't see him landing Denver any draft picks in trade. I imagine he will have another efficient year where he throws about a 1.8 TD/Int Ratio and has a bunch of yards passing in the short throwing game. I don't think he will be that highly sought in free agency. Any ideas who would be willing to give this guy a starting gig? Maybe Minnesota or Arizona next year.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Buffalo comes to mind as a place where a QB is needed but Orton's arm would not hold up well there.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
Orton will be a free agent at the end of the year. Unless we plan on francise tagging him I don't see him landing Denver any draft picks in trade. I imagine he will have another efficient year where he throws about a 1.8 TD/Int Ratio and has a bunch of yards passing in the short throwing game. I don't think he will be that highly sought in free agency. Any ideas who would be willing to give this guy a starting gig? Maybe Minnesota or Arizona next year.
Jacksonville might.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
I was just talking the return of the trade for us. I miss Cutlers ability but, not his brains or the person he is one bit. Imo this was a good move for us longterm. I think Cutler's personality is such that he'll always struggle with dumb mistakes. I do think he is Jeff George II.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
easymobee
mobile quarterback

22 for 218 : 5 TD's vs Chiefs

Bears haven't done much to help Cutler succeed in year 2.

Hired Mike Martz, which may help his numbers (see Jon Kitna w/ the Lions) but will get him sacked about 50 times a year.

Signed a solid blocking TE and minimized Greg Olsen due to the new offense. Remember how great Olsen was 'sposed to be last year. 2nd or 3rd TE in the mock fantasy drafts. Not so much then and not so much now.

Signed Chester Taylor (decent pickup) but wasn't Forte supposed to be the real deal? Wasn't he supposed to get 1500 yds with a superior qb to keep the defense honest? Not so much.

No WRs of note signed or drafted, In a year when Santonio Holmes, Brandon Marshall, and Anquan Boldin changed teams. The bears lacked any ammo due to the Cutler and Gaines Adams trades.

Bears made a splash signing Peppers. I guess that helps indirectly, but not so much unless he is moved to LT.
easymobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
one-half of tight end Richard Quinn
Which half did we get?
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
easymobee
mobile quarterback

22 for 218 : 5 TD's vs Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
And Knox.

Don't count him out. He looks like a future superstar.
Knox is decent, but future superstar?

Guess it depends on your classification of superstar. I think there are maybe 7 or 8 "superstar" WRs in the NFL and Knox has a ways to go to get there IMHO.
easymobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I dislike that Knox is considered part of the deal. It's not like the Bears wouldn't've been able to get Knox if we hadn't given them that pick.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Even the harshest critics of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders would say their draft maneuverings were nothing short of brilliant.
Not true since we know for sure that mock, among others, would certainly disagree.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I believe Quitler may well have a more average seson, and I mean he shou;ld end up somewhere among the average in most stats. The ints he had last year were sort of unreal in numbers, and he should show some "regression to the mean" this year. Maybe.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I dislike that Knox is considered part of the deal. It's not like the Bears wouldn't've been able to get Knox if we hadn't given them that pick.
But he was part of the deal. You could say the same thing about the other 5th round pick they had. Who's to say they don't take that dude over Knox with only a single 5th.
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Cutler will be fine and will justify the trade for him.
the main thing is will the Broncos draft picks work out and justify dealing Cutler away.
i've been critical of McDaniels moves since he got here.
but they have gotten good value out of the draft(except the Alphonso Smith trade).

everything is in place for the Broncos to do well both now and in the future.
but if it falls through then the only thing that will be talked about will be the suspect trades(Cutler,Marshall,2010 first for 09' 2nd(Smith))
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #22
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
The caveat here is how many of those picks even develop. If all or most work out, it's a complete coup - one of the biggest in NFL history. If half work out, it was good value. If none of them work out, then it will be considered one of the biggest wastes of resources in our franchise history.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

It would be pretty interesting to compare this against how the Chiefs did with the Jared Allen trade. Anyone got the details there?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
Hopefully Orton will have a productive season while both Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow get up to speed and the Broncos are able to trade Orton for some more future picks. The Cutler trade could give the Broncos more.
You're right about that. The gift that keeps on giving.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
For sure. Even if all our picks are not great we've already seen the type of player cutler is and that's one who is regressing.
call a guy regressing in his 1st year in a new system with no wide receivers
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote