The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Default Oil Spill Question/idea/pondering .... on clean up ...

Ok I don't know crap about oil spills but it seems like there has to be a better way to clean this crap then how they do it.

I see them with there barriers that float on top the water that is suppose to keep it from move but don't contain it all .

My question ... Would something like this work and if so someone needs to call me ...

A boat with 2 motors one powers boats moment. A second motor like a jet ski sucks water in a hole in the front at about surface depth in the middle of the system have filters to separate the oil and then like a jet ski exit the clean water out the back.

I mean hell if you had a bunch of these and even if it only got like 50% or less per swipe ... at least if you went over and over it you would get way more up then we seem to now...

I know there has to be a reason this wont work but keep wondering about it every time i see a spill ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

a 4.2 million gallon oil spill is going to need more then a few speed boat strainers.

If I believed in conspiracies...I'd swear this thing blowing up was intentional...didnt Obama support offshore drilling a few weeks before this spill happened?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
a 4.2 million gallon oil spill is going to need more then a few speed boat strainers.

If I believed in conspiracies...I'd swear this thing blowing up was intentional...didnt Obama support offshore drilling a few weeks before this spill happened?

I wanted to use ship size boats But size was always what i figured was key issue.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
I wanted to use ship size boats But size was always what i figured was key issue.

If the US is going to utilize our offshore oil deposits, you would think they would figure out a way to quickly contain and clean oil spills.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

What a crapsandwich this whole thing is. Just when the fed gov looks like it will expand domestic oil production this catastrophe happens and could have a huge impact on the gulf coast as far as fishing/shrimping/tourism etc.

Wow, I'd go medieval on the oil rig owners if I'm Obama. He's already up against a wall with the ultra left for allowing future oil development. Now they are going to say "see, a-hole, we told you so, you sell out!".

Not good. Not good for anyone in this country what happening with this environmental nightmare.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
If the US is going to utilize our offshore oil deposits, you would think they would figure out a way to quickly contain and clean oil spills.

Yea man that would seem to be a idea they should have already had , but didn't...

I mean I see how they try to fight spills and it just looks ancient.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

i thought of that too but didnt want to go the McGoofey way. You never know, but I am a big supporter of off shore drilling but if you dont have an emergency plan to cap the oil, I wouldnt allow anymore to be built until there is a sure way of implementing a plan. We should be drilling on land up in the Dakotas. This is a man made disaster and I guarantee Obama will put a hold on any future drilling sites until review. If it was sabatoged, it probably worked. Environmental nuts would do something this drastic and claim it is better for this to happen to prevent future spills.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
i thought of that too but didnt want to go the McGoofey way. You never know, but I am a big supporter of off shore drilling but if you dont have an emergency plan to cap the oil, I wouldnt allow anymore to be built until there is a sure way of implementing a plan. We should be drilling on land up in the Dakotas. This is a man made disaster and I guarantee Obama will put a hold on any future drilling sites until review. If it was sabatoged, it probably worked. Environmental nuts would do something this drastic and claim it is better for this to happen to prevent future spills.

I thought I read somewhere that this particular floating rig had been checked out and was good to go. Odd that a few weeks after it is inspected and the president opens up oil drilling offshore that this thing blows up.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What a crapsandwich this whole thing is. Just when the fed gov looks like it will expand domestic oil production this catastrophe happens and could have a huge impact on the gulf coast as far as fishing/shrimping/tourism etc.

Wow, I'd go medieval on the oil rig owners if I'm Obama. He's already up against a wall with the ultra left for allowing future oil development. Now they are going to say "see, a-hole, we told you so, you sell out!".

Not good. Not good for anyone in this country what happening with this environmental nightmare.
IDK if you,ve seen any of the news conf. but they have been reffering tp BP as the "responsible party". After the Valdez in 1990 we passed a law requiring that whatever oil comp.(reponsible party) is reponsible for the complete cost of the clean up.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Just sue the bajeezus out of British Petroleum.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

BP was leasing the rig. BP and whoever owned the thing are in for a world of hurt. They ****ed up bad and to make it worse they made the President of the United States of all people eat a major **** sandwich. Not exactly the office you want to embarrass. It won't be pretty for them.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
BP was leasing the rig. BP and whoever owned the thing are in for a world of hurt. They ****ed up bad and to make it worse they made the President of the United States of all people eat a major **** sandwich. Not exactly the office you want to embarrass. It won't be pretty for them.

...Unless it was an act of sabotage...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
...Unless it was an act of sabotage...

Sabotaged by who?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Sabotaged by who?

Exactly...

I really dont know. it seems investigating the cause of the explosion is secondary with all the crude being spilled into the gulf.

It could be a complete accident.

It could be malfeasance (sp) by BP.

It could be sabotage.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

ultimately, BP is responsible for the cost,even if there was sabotage(which I doubt) that would mean that BP would have to hope that the sabotor is good for the money to reimberse what BP is about to spend in this mess.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
ultimately, BP is responsible for the cost,even if there was sabotage(which I doubt) that would mean that BP would have to hope that the sabotor is good for the money to reimberse what BP is about to spend in this mess.

Not disagreeing.

Just fleshing out possibilities.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
From what I've read, the device that is supposed to shut off the flow (on the sea floor) is the device that failed, allowing both the original explosion, and preventing them from stopping the spill now. This valve was supposed to have multiple fail-safe features, and be the emergency solution to cap the well. An ideal device to sabotage for sure, but pretty hard to do 5000 ft under sea.

When I first heard the plan to ignite the oil, I was envisioning an 80x120 mile bonfire. Now that's a party.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Ok I don't know crap about oil spills but it seems like there has to be a better way to clean this crap then how they do it.

I see them with there barriers that float on top the water that is suppose to keep it from move but don't contain it all .

My question ... Would something like this work and if so someone needs to call me ...

A boat with 2 motors one powers boats moment. A second motor like a jet ski sucks water in a hole in the front at about surface depth in the middle of the system have filters to separate the oil and then like a jet ski exit the clean water out the back.

I mean hell if you had a bunch of these and even if it only got like 50% or less per swipe ... at least if you went over and over it you would get way more up then we seem to now...

I know there has to be a reason this wont work but keep wondering about it every time i see a spill ...

You're basically describing a silly version of a skimmer. A skimmer is a ship that skims the oil off the surface of the water, much like cream is skimmed off of milk. They are used in conjunction with the booms. The booms corral the oil and the skimmers collect it.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Agreed. Exxon spent BILLIONS to clean up the Valdez spill, which was a relatively remote region compared to the extremely important Gulf of Mexico, economically speaking. This is going to have a huge impact on algal populations which will probably DEVASTATE the area's fishing industry, which generates something like 2/3rd of the mainlands seafood supply. BP is going to be on the hook for INCREDIBLE amounts of money.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
You're basically describing a silly version of a skimmer. A skimmer is a ship that skims the oil off the surface of the water, much like cream is skimmed off of milk. They are used in conjunction with the booms. The booms corral the oil and the skimmers collect it.
And seeing that the oil collects on the surface only about 10mm thick, doing anything other than skimming the surface is counter-productive.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
When I first heard the plan to ignite the oil, I was envisioning an 80x120 mile bonfire. Now that's a party.
makes the Burning Man festival look like a Smores campout with the girl scouts.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Just give Tebow a straw.

Problem solved.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
makes the Burning Man festival look like a Smores campout with the girl scouts.
Combining girl scouts and Burning Man puts very inappropriate images in my head.

mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Thx man ....

I have never seen the skimmer ships or had seen and didn't realize what they was... I figured there HAD TO BE something that "skims"

But knowing nothing of the topic I figured I'd where I always ask ... The Mane hehe ... You all are like my go to place for random info ,even more so than football I think :O) ...
Old 04-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

they need to make a giant vacuum like in Spaceballs.

Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote