The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default OT: Pinched Nerves

I pinched a nerve in my neck / traps two weeks ago after doing a pretty standard back workout. I had a pinched nerve in May 09 after a regular back workout as well. I am an absolute stickler for form but I suffer from lots of stress at work and I'm naturally very tight (pause). I stretch after every workout but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I'm the kind of person that needs regular exercise to stay functional. I have been doing acupuncture but I hate that the cure for a pinched nerve from all sources seems to be to not do any serious exercise... just let yourself wither away for a couple of weeks until your muscle gets weaker.

Anyone ever had a pinched nerve before? Advice?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Get them all the time. In fact, I just did it again on Wednesday. Just try to avoid turning your neck as best you can and tough it out. Would love to see some other approaches that may lower pain levels without pills.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

The pain really doesn't bother me. The frustrating part is that the pain causes the muscle to spasm even more. How long do you wait until you go back to the gym?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The pain really doesn't bother me. The frustrating part is that the pain causes the muscle to spasm even more. How long do you wait until you go back to the gym?
I don't. I adjust weight down for things it's really going to affect like shrugs and deads but otherwise I just try to push through it. I honestly find its more annoying and painful when you're just lying/sitting around because you notice it more.

Strong chance someone has experienced it and has a smarter approach, but that's what I've done so far. I like it when the corresponding back-shoulder gets massaged though. Seems to help a bit though it hurts like hell.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Thanks. This last time I literally couldn't move my neck from a 45 degree angle for two days. I couldn't lie down either. I looked like frankenstein. It was pretty bad.

I probably get smaller pinches I just don't even notice them.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Thanks. This last time I literally couldn't move my neck from a 45 degree angle for two days. I couldn't lie down either. I looked like frankenstein. It was pretty bad.

Been there. Had one that last 3 months. Still doesn't even remotely compare to the nerve pain from shingles. Holy sht that was bad.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Anyone ever had a pinched nerve before? Advice?
I had one while on vacation one time down in the Caribbean. I was in extreme discomfort and could barely move without sharp pain. I don't really "believe in" chiropractors but the doctor I went to on the island sent me to one and the adjustment she gave me really helped and saved my vacation.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Six pack and 800 mg of ibu.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I highly, highly recommend a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. The guy is an absolute genius on how to alleviate pain like pinched nerves and chronic pain. I used to have chronic lower back pain and bad knees, and ever since I started doing his stretches for 15-20 minutes every morning the pain has been pretty much gone. You can get it for like $12 on amazon.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

I have chronic nerve damage in my neck from a car accident. I suggest having an ortho guy look at just incase you have a pad (forget what it is called) wearing away between the vertebre(SP?). Have it looked at before it damages the nerve forever.

I agree, I can deal with the muscle pain for the most part but it is the constant spasming and loss of strength that wears me out.

I had a rough night last night sleeping, nothing would help just something one has to endure.

The only thing that stops the spasming for me is total rest, no lifting at all and alternating heat and Ice. But I can't live and NOT lift anything and sometimes just turning my head or riding in the SUV will be enough to trigger the spasms.

After you see an Ortho guy who verifies the bone is not pressing on the nerve and you have enough padding in between then you can find a Chiropractor who might be able to help. When you look for a Chiropractor look for a guy who believes in strength training and does not rely solely on adjustments. The more they adjust the more you wear down the joints and the more likely you could end up needing surgery or damage the nerve.

I guess you really should start with your primary care guy but I would get it checked out medicaly(sp?) as well as alternately.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Don't mountainbike, I did that once and it is incredible how big a handicap it is when you can't see sideways, you get honked at a lot more than usual.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
I highly, highly recommend a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. The guy is an absolute genius on how to alleviate pain like pinched nerves and chronic pain. I used to have chronic lower back pain and bad knees, and ever since I started doing his stretches for 15-20 minutes every morning the pain has been pretty much gone. You can get it for like $12 on amazon.
I am going to check this out. I do stretch a couple times a day and it helps with the pain lower in my back but not so much on the side where the damage is.

Really lots of rest, hot and cold packs help the most.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I had one while on vacation one time down in the Caribbean. I was in extreme discomfort and could barely move without sharp pain. I don't really "believe in" chiropractors but the doctor I went to on the island sent me to one and the adjustment she gave me really helped and saved my vacation.
Funnily enough I will be down there on holiday shortly and I don't want to reaggravate this and ruin the trip. That said, I feel myself shrinking into a little midget puppet torso.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I am going to check this out. I do stretch a couple times a day and it helps with the pain lower in my back but not so much on the side where the damage is.

Really lots of rest, hot and cold packs help the most.
I promise you if you stick with his exercises you wont regret it.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

never had one, but if you are really tight, look into foam rolling and a stretch-it-out rope. they will help.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Skip the Chiro's and find a physical therapist who specializes in neck and spine injuries.

I walked in with a bulging neck disk and chronic neck pain after a work out and left an hour later much improved.

An impinged nerve will eventually end up permanently damaged without proper treatment.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote