The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default Who are Mel Kiper and Todd Mcshay?

http://www.lostlettermen.com/2010/04...draft-stardom/

Mcshay

McShay grew up in Swampscott, MA, a former summer resort town that was considered one of the 20 wealthiest cities in Massachusetts two years ago. He began his football career in Pop Warner, where he played with Peter Woodfork, the current assistant general manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks. McShay went on to start behind center for Swampscott High School.

Without any interest from major schools to play football, he enrolled at the University of Richmond in 1995 and walked on as a quarterback in Division I-AA (now the FCS). He was switched to defensive back and as he once described it, he mostly “ate dirt” in practice. He didn’t stop playing until a back injury forced him out for good in ‘97. Yet McShay still wanted to be around the game. So he got a position cutting game film for the team, which is where he first learned how to scout.

His experience came at just the right time. His grandfather, a former scout for Michigan’s Bo Schembechler, connected him with former NFL scout Gary Horton who was starting a scouting service meant to cross-check NFL scouting reports for every team. Horton named it “The War Room” and McShay interned in the summer of 1998. The internship went so well that after McShay graduated a year later, he had a full-time job with Horton waiting for him. He was paid just $1,000 a month and lived on a friend’s sofa in Manhattan. But a job’s a job.

“The War Room” began providing information for CBS Sports and had a deal with the Sporting News. But in 2006 it was absorbed by ESPN and redubbed “Scouts, Inc.” From there his career skyrocketed. He became ESPN’s director of college football scouting at Scouts, Inc. and began providing draft-day analysis immediately in 2006. He’s transformed into Mel Kiper Jr.’s foil during ESPN’s extensive lead up coverage to the draft, relentlessly sparring on-air over Jimmy Clausen’s draft stock in recent weeks.

McShay, now 33, currently resides in Boston, MA, and is married with no kids. Even away from Bristol McShay is tirelessly looking at game film. He turned an extra bedroom in his home into a film-breakdown room.

He told the Boston Globe in a recent profile: “For a while, it was just Mel Kiper, but now you’ve seen dozens of different draftniks spring up, and I was just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. As they say, luck is when opportunity meets preparation.”

Kiper

McShay’s rise to stardom is interesting, but not quite as remarkable as Mel Kiper, who essentially invented his own career. It’s one thing to be in the right place at the right time. It’s another to create the right place altogether.

Kiper was never a football player – it should be no surprise since he wouldn’t want to mess up that hair. But he was a draftnik before it existed and as a teenager living in the Baltimore area, he began compiling scouting lists to send to NFL teams across the country. His parents even got him a satellite dish and he racked up long distance calls by contacting schools for any and all information he could get his hands on.

Kiper’s initial plan was to get hired by an NFL team and work in scouting. With all those draft lists, he hoped somebody would be willing to hire him. One place he tried hawking his list was at Baltimore Colts training camp. It was there that then-assistant GM Ernie Accorsi suggested that Kiper make people pay for this list. So at 19 while attending the local Essex Community College, Kiper published his first draft book in 1979 for NFL teams and a handful of subscribers. He likely would’ve landed with the Colts, but they picked up and left for Indianapolis before anything ever happened. But Kiper’s radio work to plug the book attracted ESPN execs, and he was hired in 1983 for that year’s draft at the age of 22.

Kiper still needed a catalyst to launch him into national fame and that came in the form of Colts GM Bill Tobin. During the 1994, Draft Kiper criticized the Colts for not taking a quarterback with either of their first two picks (Nos. 2 and 5) and called them a laughingstock. When told of the criticism, Tobin – who was in his first draft as the GM – railed on Kiper on ESPN’s live air and ended with this gem: “Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he’s doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor’s a postman.”

Although it was negative publicity at the time, Kiper finally mattered nationally in relation to the draft. As the draft grew, it was only natural that Kiper’s presence at ESPN grew as well. He’s been a part of the network’s draft coverage for 28 years now and it’s almost impossible to mention the draft and not talk about something Kiper has said. When he’s not on SportCenter arguing with Todd McShay, he’s on ESPN radio doing interviews for various shows and co-hosting his own show on weekends leading up to the draft.

Now 49, Kiper lives in Jarrettsville, MD, just outside of Baltimore. He and his wife, Kim Kiper, run Mel Kiper Enterprises, through which he still publishes his draft book. The two have a daughter, Lauren. And Kim’s in charge of Kiper’s most valuable asset – cutting that famous head of hair.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Everything you need to know about Mel Kiper is in Dickipedia (a website started with Mel in mind)

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?t...l_Kiper%2C_Jr.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

That was awesome. Thanks.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

No mention of Kiper's late father? I'd be very curious to read about how Papa Kiper's influence at ESPN allowed Jr. to be a rising star...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
bombay
Ring of Famer

A couple of jackasses who have staked out a clever scam.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Everything you need to know about Mel Kiper is in Dickipedia (a website started with Mel in mind)

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?t...l_Kiper%2C_Jr.
Though a dick, Mel Kiper is an infallible genius when it comes to scouting future NFL talent.

He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.

In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him.

In 1999, he touted the potential of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith to exceed at the professional level. Fans have high hopes for Smith to have a great season this year and to make a big statement in his league.

In 1998, Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL. He has since become one of professional football's most notable quarterbacks.

In 2001, Kiper predicted a dismal 0-16 season for the New England Patriots. The team finished slightly better than that prediction, managing to win just one Super Bowl the entire season.

Ouch!
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Two people who are another example of media hype.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Well he got Cutler right.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

Best draftnik ever. RIP my brother

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡ View Post
Best draftnik ever. RIP my brother

Joel Buchsbaum was the main reason I used to buy Pro Football Weekly.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Maybe it's my two years now without NFL Network, but I like Todd McShay.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #12
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Todd McShay is heads and tails above Kiper Buff so its not wrong to like him. But you are missing out not having NFLN because they have THE best evaluators of college talent.

Here is a trivia question for you guys. Who else is from Swampscott, MA
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Yeah, well I read Mayock when I can.

Swampscott .... wild guess, Ben Affleck?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

No he is tied to the NFL. Its kind of obscure and really only Todd McShay himself refers to this guy as "The Pride of Swampscott"

Google doesn't have much info about it and the only reason I know is because I listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning on the way to work.

But I will tell you this he played for a skank team and had great hair!

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 04-30-2010 at 12:26 AM..
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Thanks for the name.

Years ago Slap posted a link to a really great story about that guy.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #16
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Mel Kiper Jr. and Joel Buchsbaum were integral in creating this niche market and paved the way for guys like McShay and Mayock.

Like him or not, Kiper found his passion when he was a teenager and worked his butt off and made himself a lot of money doing what he loves....I can respect that.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 04-30-2010 at 12:19 AM..
Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Guys like Mel Kiper and Joel Buchsbaum created this niche market and paved the way for guys like McShay and Mayock.

Like him or not, Kiper found his passion when he was a teenager and worked his butt off and made himself a lot of money doing what he loves....I can respect that.
You are right Kiper and Buchsbaum were what you call trailblazers. But along the way Kiper stopped getting his hands dirty and started becoming a face on TV.

Kiper uses Production Assistants to tell him about players now days. Where as Mayock a former player watches and breaks down tape. Mayock could be the head of any NFL scouting department with the amount of work he puts in.

While Kiper may have invented the position Mayock is making it better. Which is good because that makes the info and product that much better. The problem with Kiper is he thinks he can still get by on his name alone but he has fast become a joke among knowledgeable football fans.

Give me Mayock ANY day he knows his stuff and Kiper could stand to learn a thing or two from him.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 AM   #18
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post

Here is a trivia question for you guys. Who else is from Swampscott, MA
Dick Jauron
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #19
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone see the pre-draft bet on Clausen between Kiper and McShay? Kiper kept insisting that he would go top 10 with McShay saying he wouldn't. They didn't actually bet anything but both staked their positions and said they'd see who was right.

I'd say McShay won.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Anyone see the pre-draft bet on Clausen between Kiper and McShay? Kiper kept insisting that he would go top 10 with McShay saying he wouldn't. They didn't actually bet anything but both staked their positions and said they'd see who was right.

I'd say McShay won.
If Jimmy Clausen goes on to be a stud QB, then Mel Kiper will be vindicated.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #21
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
If Jimmy Clausen goes on to be a stud QB, then Mel Kiper will be vindicated.
That's his whole problem in a nutshell ... he takes it way too personally.

For Kiper it's less about the draft, and more about "vindicating" his prissy draft board.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Got to give it to Kiper he created a very good income for himself and family
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #23
meangene
Ring of Famer

I much prefer the NFLN guys like Mayock and guys who have actually worked for NFL teams like Lombardi, Casserly and Bucky Brooks. I really enjoy Gruden on ESPN though.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
Paladin
Ring of Famer

To me, Gruden was the best of the lot this year. TommyJ just couldn't get his points across.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #25
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
I had a subscription to the magazine, but he looks very different than previously posted pics.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote