The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil
Default Brady Quinn on the way out??

Quinn the odd man out?
8:39
AM ETBrady Quinn | Broncos Top Email Whether or not the Denver Broncos made a smart decision in trading some draft picks to move up to grab Tim Tebow, it leaves the team with somewhat of a surplus at the QB position. Kyle Orton is likely penciled in as the starter, while Tebow, Brady Quinn and Tom Brandstater sit behind him.

Regarding this crowd, Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports wrote recently that it would appear that Quinn is suddenly the odd man out. Robinson notes that in order to properly develop, Tebow will have to get snaps in practice, and most No. 3 QBs don't get too many snaps in practice. Robinson also points out that the Broncos acquired Quinn for very little -- Peyton Hillis, who was rumored to be on the verge of being cut anyway, and late-round picks in 2011 and 2012 -- but invested a great deal in Tebow.

If Quinn is released soon, we know a certain team in Western New York that might be interested, and we also have a feeling that his former college coach, Charlie Weis, might show some interest in bringing him in as a backup to Matt Cassel for the Kansas City Chiefs.

from espn insider
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

Clady replacement options

11:52AM ET
Ryan Clady | Broncos

Top Email

We learned on Wednesday night that Ryan Clady's patellar tendon was only partially torn -- according to the Denver Post -- which gives him a better shot at returning in three months, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reports Clady's been telling people. ESPN sports injury expert Stephania Bell told our AFC West blogger Bill Williamson that the timeline we've been hearing (three to four months) "may be optimistic," and that even after his return, he won't be fully recovered yet.
The loss of one of the league's elite left tackles will strike a devastating blow to the Denver Broncos' offensive line, but there are some options available, albeit none nearly as good as Clady. Flozell Adams was released a while back, and still hasn't landed with a new team. It would make sense for the Broncos to at least have him in for a workout. But there are other non-Bronco options as well, and both of them were restricted free agents this offseason. The first is Jared Gaither, who the Baltimore Ravens were open to trading before and during the draft. The second is Jammal Brown, and we touched on that situation on Wednesday. The problem with acquiring Gaither or Brown is that they would likely want a long-term extension, and that wouldn't make too much sense, given the fact that Clady will be back eventually.
The other option is to promote from within. Second-round pick Zane Beadles is expected to compete to play RT for the Broncos this season, and it's possible they slide 2009's RT, Ryan Harris, over to LT. Certainly not an ideal situation, but one that the team might have to explore.

Football Outsiders

Devastating loss
"If this is confirmed -- and it appears to be -- it's catastrophic for Denver fans. Clady is one of the league's most valuable properties, an elite left tackle playing on a rookie contract, and the most important player the Broncos had on offense, even before the Brandon Marshall deal. Barring a miracle, Clady will be out for the year; about the best the Broncos can hope for would be a long stay on the Physically Unable to Perform list and a return in late October. The injury also has deleterious long-term effects on performance and has a good chance of reoccurrence. The injury will force the Broncos to change their entire offensive scheme, keeping tight ends and running backs in to block far more frequently, and place even more pressure on a group of wide receivers that are alternately inexperienced or over-the-hill." - Bill Barnwell
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

Like your posts man, much better than the crap most of these people put on here
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
Robinson also points out that the Broncos acquired Quinn for very little -- Peyton Hillis,
Blasphemy.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutigers View Post
Like your posts man, much better than the crap most of these people put on here
Thanks. Hope that was genuine and not a slam that i didnt understand.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Hope that was genuine and not a slam that i didnt understand.
I'm being serious, just look at the crap started right now in the discussion: magic tricks, need some advice from OM, bootleg jerseys, things I've learned from OM, best numbers. who gives a **** about any of that. you post good info from around the league.
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutigers View Post
I'm being serious, just look at the crap started right now in the discussion: magic tricks, need some advice from OM, bootleg jerseys, things I've learned from OM, best numbers. who gives a **** about any of that. you post good info from around the league.
Thats what happens when you dont have a job and go to school at night. Just troll the internet for interesting broncos tidbits!

i DID start a tim tebow tshirt thread, so i probably lost points there with some. haha
Old 04-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The injury also has deleterious long-term effects on performance and has a good chance of reoccurrence.
Yuck.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

If Kevin O'Connell can get traded for some picks we sure as hell can do the same with Brady Quinn for the Bills.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yuck.
Imagine that. Super Star LT's career ruined at age 23 due to pickup game of basketball.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

Quote:
The other option is to promote from within.
This

or see if George Foster is available
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Jesus, football outsiders is determined to have me take my own life. For every article that says "it was a 50% tear and you're looking at 3 to 4 month's recovery" they're like "hey PRBronco, here's a bottle of Jack, a razor, and a Staind CD".
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

We should hang on to Quinn and let him play some quarters in pre-season and then wait for some desperate team to call up and make a deal.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah, thats a pretty dramatic take. And the Quinn portion is 100 percent speculation.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Good Thread, makes sense to me.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Imagine that. Super Star LT's career ruined at age 23 due to pickup game of basketball.
Don't even joke about that. That could be a disaster of epic proportions.

BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I really hope that Football Outsiders take was written before finding out it was a partial tear as opposed to a full tear. OP, was there a date/time stamp on it?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

Quinn will be the starting Qb for the Broncos by the end of the season...
TD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quinn is not going to be going anywhere.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
Don't even joke about that. That could be a disaster of epic proportions.

IMO, it would be the worst thing that happened to this franchise since TD got injured.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quinn is the buffer between Orton and Tebow. He'll be retained (unless Brandstater beats him out) even if he doesn't start because we don't want to be one Orton injury away from having to play Tebow full time in year one.

Josh will get Tebow more than enough reps. Hell, Tebow could run the scout team while doing that because its more about his mechanics than anything else, which can be corrected in that kind of setting. That'll also give him a wide array of systems to look at over the course of the year letting us see what parts of our opponents offense he does best in (the times in practice he tears our own defense up).

There are a lot of options on how to get guys reps. McDaniels will find a way to manage it.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

If the McDaniels plans to use Tebow at all during a game, it means by rule he already the 2nd string QB. So that leaves Quinn and Brandstater in the emergency QB role on game-day.

At this point might as well trade Orton, start Quinn and have packages for Tebow, if that future McDaniels wants.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

no way, Orton will be so much more tradable than anyone else after this season it isn't going to be funny...watch
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #24
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
If the McDaniels plans to use Tebow at all during a game, it means by rule he already the 2nd string QB. So that leaves Quinn and Brandstater in the emergency QB role on game-day.

At this point might as well trade Orton, start Quinn and have packages for Tebow, if that future McDaniels wants.
Oh yeah I forgot about that rule. Still, if Quinn pans out and proves to be just as serviceable as Orton (I'm keeping my expectations low for both, but I don't think either one of them sucks by any means) it's not a problem, as ESPN seems to wish it was. Neither of them makes so much money that we HAVE to move one right away, it just makes good trade bait, like Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck...Matt Cassell. Wait wtf is going on here? I just noticed that as I was typing it. Maybe we should bring back Matt Mauck?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Maybe we should bring back Matt Mauck?
the dentist?
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote