The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

Default Better workout: P90X or Tower200?

Just started getting back into working out and I'm not a big gym guy, so I'm curious what I could do at the house to get in shape and get ripped as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on which at home workout is better, the p90X workout or the Randy Couture Tower200?

Looking to buy one of these within the next few weeks, NEED HELP!!!!
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I heard tower200 was a mad jip, you could do all the workouts with resistance bands easily.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
yerner
Ring of Famer

You won't be upset about the money you spend on p90x. You really can use it for life.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Don't do PX90 if you are out of shape. You'll start it and after a few mornings of waking up thinking FML what did I do, you will quit.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

i'm almost 60. i've been doing p90x for over a year now.
it took some persistence to initially get into it.
i dropped 20 lbs and didn't lose any muscle, in fact i put it on.
my wife says i became more evenly proportioned.
i have 20 something girls stare at me in the gym.
i hope its not staring at my nose or ear hair.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I have never dont P90X, but I have known a handful of dudes who have. Not one has said anything bad about it or not failed to get solid results.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Why not start running, hiking if possible in Ohio, swimming at local pool until you decide? Depending on how out of shape you are it will take a long time to get fairly ripped. A lot of these programs false advertise the speed at how ripped you will get over a couple weeks. Both of those programs will work if you follow them and eat right.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
FADERPROOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Why not start running, hiking if possible in Ohio, swimming at local pool until you decide? Depending on how out of shape you are it will take a long time to get fairly ripped. A lot of these programs false advertise the speed at how ripped you will get over a couple weeks. Both of those programs will work if you follow them and eat right.
Thats my plan, to do home workouts such as push-ups, sit-ups, throwdowns etc. at the house along with 20-30 mins of cardio jog for the next few weeks while I get my body into shape for the p90x or tower200 exercise.

I'm not horribly bad off, 5"9 175 pounds...my problem is I used to be a drinker and have a lot of excess in the belly, have recently stopped drinking and trying to turn my health around.

p90X sounds like a winner, the Tower200 looks good but a red flag was put up when I went to their website...currently offering it for 14.95 with free s/h and then when I tried exiting the site a pop-up came up with an offer to throw in a pull up bar along with all accessories that the power200 comes with for the same price. Not saying its bogus but something thats trying to sell its product that bad must have a catch.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

do p90x, all of the Beach Body workouts are actually really well done...it will get results no question
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADERPROOF View Post
Thats my plan, to do home workouts such as push-ups, sit-ups, throwdowns etc. at the house along with 20-30 mins of cardio jog for the next few weeks while I get my body into shape for the p90x or tower200 exercise.

I'm not horribly bad off, 5"9 175 pounds...my problem is I used to be a drinker and have a lot of excess in the belly, have recently stopped drinking and trying to turn my health around.

p90X sounds like a winner, the Tower200 looks good but a red flag was put up when I went to their website...currently offering it for 14.95 with free s/h and then when I tried exiting the site a pop-up came up with an offer to throw in a pull up bar along with all accessories that the power200 comes with for the same price. Not saying its bogus but something thats trying to sell its product that bad must have a catch.
I'm in the same boat, a little more weight on me, (5'8'' 175). I dont trust the tower 200 thing, and have been looking at P90x, and it seems like it has built in things for men and women (they have multiple elastics etc. and my gf and I are both looking to start getting back into shape over the summer)

I think the cost of dropping some change on it is more than enough motivation to help me get started.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:

If you quit drinking wait til you see the pounds fly off. Not sure how much you drank a night but I'll bet you were in the 1000-2000 extra calories a day. You take that out of you over a year and your going to lose 10 pounds or so without working out. Once you work out too your going to see it fairly quick.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Just working out isn't going to get you ripped.

You wanna get ripped, control your diet.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
FADERPROOF

Quote:
If you quit drinking wait til you see the pounds fly off. Not sure how much you drank a night but I'll bet you were in the 1000-2000 extra calories a day. You take that out of you over a year and your going to lose 10 pounds or so without working out. Once you work out too your going to see it fairly quick.
20-22 I drank about nightly, getting hammered a bars.

23-27 drank on weekends, but would pound a good 12 beers each night, add an occasional drinking night on the weekdays as well.

It was bad, lost a lot of time, friends, and relationships over it, now as a single dad its time to clean up my act and not only stop drinking but eat healthier and workout on a consistent basis.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

And next up, Travis Henry to give us all advice on birth control
Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
FADERPROOF

Quote:

My diet this week has consisted of a banana in the morning, salad at lunch...thats been it.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

I'm on about day 34 of P90X. It is rough and I don't know if I would have had the motivation to stick with it if I wasn't doing it with some friends, but I'm definitely starting to see results. I have been trying to eat a little better, but you're going to lose fat if you do it no matter what. Basically every day is a pretty hard core cardio workout, even on the strength training days.

That being said, you could probably get similar results using any workout program where you are going at a high intensity for 1-1 1/2 hours 6 days a week for 90 days and changing up the workouts once a month. P90X just helps motivate you and give you a routine to follow.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

Do as he says not as he does!

Just kidding Bob
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
My diet this week has consisted of a banana in the morning, salad at lunch...thats been it.
man you will have to change that, seriously

your body needs a certain ratio of protein and carbs and calories, and the P90x diet basically has you eat 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 snacks)

I am on day 51 of Power 90 which is like p90x's little sister (I am building up to p90x) and I can tell you the absolute key is the diet...without question

I have lost 22 lbs in 51 days so far, which is amazing in itself...p90x will be way more intense and your body will need the fuel every day to recover properly
Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Nothing will ever beat the gym if you're motivated. I recommend getting yourself into good cardio shape first.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
FADERPROOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
man you will have to change that, seriously

your body needs a certain ratio of protein and carbs and calories, and the P90x diet basically has you eat 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 snacks)

I am on day 51 of Power 90 which is like p90x's little sister (I am building up to p90x) and I can tell you the absolute key is the diet...without question

I have lost 22 lbs in 51 days so far, which is amazing in itself...p90x will be way more intense and your body will need the fuel every day to recover properly
I would like to get on a good diet, just not sure where to start.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Ignore anyone who spouts macronutrient bull****.

You can go low carb if you want to accelerate weight loss but most people are going to have trouble maintaining that over the long term.

Google basal metabolic rate, find out how much you should be eating, and stay under that caloric intake each day. You'll lose weight.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Depending on how out of shape you are it will take a long time to get fairly ripped. A lot of these programs false advertise the speed at how ripped you will get over a couple weeks.
I 100% disagree with you. In a 12 week program, you will get ripped. Most likely you wont go from average joe to world class bodybuilder, but realistically you can lose 30 lbs (2.5 lbs per weeek.) I have seen a girl go from average, flabby gal to fitness bodybuilder (in a show) in 14 weeks with my own eyes, so I know it can happen.

The part that people dont understand is that only 15% of you getting results is from the workout.... 85% is from your diet. P90x has a diet plan for you, so is perfect in that regard. The only reason why you will not see dramactic results in 12 weeks, is cause you a. are not working hard enough, or b. Are not eating right.

Another good source of information is www.bodybuilding.com. They have a transformation section that has tons and tons of articles on training and nutrition. They even have their own 12 week program with a video trainer that is free. I train a buddy at work who has been doing this routine for 5 weeks and is down already 14 lbs of body weight (18 lbs of fat and gained 4 lbs of muscle.)

PM if you want with any questions. I train people on the side and I know a thing or two about training and nutrition.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #23
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
The best "diet" IMO is the south beach diet http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/index.aspx
A diet to me is merely learning how and what to eat, not doing something crazy like cutting carbs or any of that stuff...which is why I like the south beach diet, cause it is more of the right way to eat, then a real diet. Personally I eat about 3000 cals a day to maintain my 185 lbs and 8% BF. I dont do some crazy thing, I just get my calories from lots of protein sources and eat vegeatbles and what not.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I've been considering P90X as well, it looks great. My issue is that I actually want to gain weight, not lose. I eat a lot, but stay around the same. High metabolism. I'm between 6'2" -6'3" and weigh around 160 lbs. Has anyone used this exercise to put on muscle and actually gain weight?
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
I can tell you the absolute key is the diet...without question
EXACTLY

For starters your diet needs to have you eating about every 3 hours...think of it more as graving.

You should be getting almost 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight you have.

You should be drinking a gallon of water a day, and your piss should be clear.

Take a multivitamin.

Post workout nutrition is very important. You should be having some form of a protein shake no longer than an hour after.

If you have to drink, allow yourself 1 "cheat day" a week and only do it on that day. (My cheat day I actually over eat and try to consume about 10,000 cals.) Having a cheat day will reduce cravings over the week...many people gradually decrease from a full cheat day to just a cheat meal per week.