The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Default OT: San Francisco boycotting Arizona?

John Moore Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law is sparking outrage across the country and now, San Francisco's city attorney is urging policymakers and businesses to take a stand against the controversial legislation and send the state a message.

San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera on Monday called for a sweeping boycott of the state of Arizona and Arizona-based businesses.

Herrera, himself the son an immigrant from Latin America, called the law "draconian" and released the following statement upon announcing the push for a boycott:

Just as it did two decades ago when it refused to observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Arizona has again chosen to isolate itself from the rest of the nation. Our most appropriate response is to assure that their isolation is tangible rather than merely symbolic. San Francisco should lead the way in adopting and aggressively pursuing a sweeping boycott of Arizona and Arizona-based businesses until this unjust law is repealed or invalidated. My office is fully committed to work with San Francisco city departments and commissions to identify all applicable contracts, and to pursue termination wherever possible. And my office stands ready to assist in any legal challenges in whatever way it can.

Herrera's comments come the same day San Francisco Supervisor David Campos led a protest at City Hall against the controversial new immigration law.

"I think as a city we have a responsibility to make sure we don't do business with entities like the state of Arizona that are taking steps that are essentially violating and call for violation of the basic rights of the constitution." Campos said.

Campos agrees with civil rights advocates who say the law will lead to racial profiling. He is planning to introduce a resolution Tuesday that that essentially condemns the actions of the state of Arizona and calls for a boycott of the state.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/polit...-92095669.html

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Good. That law is insane.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Good. That law is insane.

Sections of it actually mirror federal law.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Sections of it actually mirror federal law.

It gives authority to pull someone over for doing nothing at all (other than being mexican). You want to live in a police state?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I haven't been tracking so well lately, what's the new law?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
It gives authority to pull someone over for doing nothing at all (other than being mexican). You want to live in a police state?

No. But if our esteemed Federal Government does not actually do something about illegals, we may all want to learn spanish.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Not sure why people are so up in arms about this law. Why not let Arizona be Arizona and see how the law effects all immigrants.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. What I am saying is there is more than one answer to the illegal immigration problem.

I love the Latino communities because they are for the most part grounded in the things I value myself: Family, community, hard work.

That being said, there's some real issues that need to be resolved with all the illegals.

Here's my solution, and it's way more radicalzzzzz:

Grant all illegals citizenship that are here to work (accept for the bad guys who commit crimes). Just do it. Make them tax paying citizens, now!

Once this is done, try really, really hard to monitor the traffic between Mexico and the US and try to prohibit future illegals from crossing the line. That is, really enforce the border and don't let people just cross over in the night.

IMHO this will do two things: Give illegals immunity and citizenship sans criminal behavior and set the foundation for future enforcement of stopping the illegals from crossing the border.

It's a good faith gesture on the US's part, and I new policy moving forward.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I haven't been tracking so well lately, what's the new law?
Basically breaks down to give police the authority to stop anyone walking down the street who appears to be an illegal immigrant and demand to see their identification AND documentation allowing them to be in the country and state. If they cannot prove that they are legally in the state they will be arrested, and a simple driver's license is not sufficient.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Not sure why people are so up in arms about this law. Why not let Arizona be Arizona and see how the law effects all immigrants.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. What I am saying is there is more than one answer to the illegal immigration problem.

I love the Latino communities because they are for the most part grounded in the things I value myself: Family, community, hard work.

That being said, there's some real issues that need to be resolved with all the illegals.

Here's my solution, and it's way more radicalzzzzz:

Grant all illegals citizenship that are here to work (accept for the bad guys who commit crimes). Just do it. Make them tax paying citizens, now!

Once this is done, try really, really hard to monitor the traffic between Mexico and the US and try to prohibit future illegals from crossing the line. That is, really enforce the border and don't let people just cross over in the night.

IMHO this will do two things: Give illegals immunity and citizenship sans criminal behavior and set the foundation for future enforcement of stopping the illegals from crossing the border.

It's a good faith gesture on the US's part, and I new policy moving forward.
I'm fairly anti-illegal but I'd accept this on one condition. Make it be known that ANY criminal activity (we're not talking speeding tickets though) results in deportation. Among those activities that would be punishable? Harboring an illegal. If a kid gets into trouble, the whole family can leave or the kid goes by himself. Clean up the mess and we'll talk. Just completely forgive and forget? No thanks.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

If you're not an illegal you shouldn't have a problem with being pulled over. If anything you should be glad something is being done to stop it. If you want to live in this country do it legally or get the **** out.

Illegals tend to live in poor areas, poor areas tend to breed crime, etc. I know someone who's an illegal and he and his bro started out selling drugs on the street around 5th grade after their mom brought them across the border in their infancy. Luckily he's turned his life around on his own, but others didn't.

Illegals largely get away from the IRS, and leach off of tax dollars as well.

I can respect wanting to get work or wanting to get out of the corrupt **** hole that is Mexico, but go about doing it the right way.

As big of a problem as the USA is for not preventing illegal immigration, Mexico is just as big an issue due to being such a **** hole of a country. Mexico needs a revolution or something major to go down.

BTW... I'm 1/2 Mexican and my Hispanic relatives were 100% legal.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 04-27-2010 at 05:30 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
For the same reason I'm absolutely repulsed when someone threatens violence for drawing pictures of Mohammed. Because the whole idea of the law is completely counter to everything that we (as Americans) are supposed to stand for.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
No. But if our esteemed Federal Government does not actually do something about illegals, we may all want to learn spanish.

While I agree immigration needs to be reformed, picking people off the street is hardly an answer, not to mention its a violation to the many legal immigrants or American born mexicans that currently live in AZ. As far as policy is concerned (beyond a moral issue) its like busting drug dealers one by one during sales. It does nothing. Its crappy legislation and morally deplorable. Why the "tea party" cult isn't all over this is also hyporcritical...but oh yeah, they dont care for the brown people much.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
If you're not an illegal you shouldn't have a problem with being pulled over. If anything you should be glad something is being done to stop it. If you want to live in this country do it legally or get the **** out.
http://www.azfamily.com/news/91769419.html

That's why you should have a huge problem with this.

Why should you be harassed just because you want to go out at night? Or to buy some milk? Or just because you're in America, and dammit you feel like being outside right now?

No one should be subjected to the humiliation and bullying that comes along with this sort of profiling.

Americans, above all, should be absolutely floored that this is even considered to be OK in our country. If you really think random searches and arrests are 'OK', then (and I mean this with all due respect) maybe it's time for you to look for a new place to live? North Korea might be your speed...

Last edited by enjolras; 04-27-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Illegals tend to live in poor areas, poor areas tend to breed crime, etc. I know someone who's an illegal and he and his bro started out selling drugs on the street around 5th grade after their mom brought them across the border in their infancy. Luckily he's turned his life around on his own, but others didn't.

Illegals largely get away from the IRS, and leach off of tax dollars as well.

I can respect wanting to get work or wanting to get out of the corrupt **** hole that is Mexico, but go about doing it the right way.

As big of a problem as the USA is for not preventing illegal immigration, Mexico is just as big an issue due to being such a **** hole of a country. Mexico needs a revolution or something major to go down.
Wow...yeah, i love getting pulled over. ITS MY FAVORITE THING EVA!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
He can **** himself. Sick of all the racist cry bull**** that goes on in this country. I'm sick of humanity being so god damned divisive (and no that does not mean I want us to merge with Canada and Mexico). Humanity joining together won't happen in our lifetime if ever.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Wow...yeah, i love getting pulled over. ITS MY FAVORITE THING EVA!
Yeah it sucks if it happens. Sucks sitting around. But if it cleans up the streets and it's not hurting you, I don't see a big problem.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
He can **** himself. Sick of all the racist cry bull**** that goes on in this country. I'm sick of humanity being so god damned divisive (and no that does not mean I want us to merge with Canada and Mexico). Humanity joining together won't happen in our lifetime if ever.
OK, so lets just be unpleasant a-holes at every turn!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
http://www.azfamily.com/news/91769419.html

That's why you should have a huge problem with this.

Why should you be harassed just because you want to go out at night? Or to buy some milk? Or just because you're in America, and dammit you feel like being outside right now?

No one should be subjected to the humiliation and bullying that comes along with this sort of profiling.

Americans, above all, should be absolutely floored that this is even considered to be OK in our country. If you really think random searches and arrests are 'OK', then (and I mean this with all due respect) maybe it's time for you to look for a new place to live? North Korea might be your speed...
ROFL. Funny stuff. No where did I say I think random arrests were ok. I said random ID checks to see if you're an illegal is ok.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Yeah it sucks if it happens. Sucks sitting around. But if it cleans up the streets and it's not hurting you, I don't see a big problem.
Its hurting an enormous part of the AZ population, not to mention, it wont ****ing work. We dont live in a police state, you cant just pull people over for no cause other than their skin color. Its ****ing absurd.

Might as well just round up and kill the homeless too...after all, it'll clean up the streets
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Your sick of 'humanity being so god damned divisive' and yet you want to segregate and divide one whole section of our people off and make them subject to police harassment when they've done absolutely nothing wrong?

Am I following you here?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
While I agree immigration needs to be reformed, picking people off the street is hardly an answer, not to mention its a violation to the many legal immigrants or American born mexicans that currently live in AZ. As far as policy is concerned (beyond a moral issue) its like busting drug dealers one by one during sales. It does nothing. Its crappy legislation and morally deplorable. Why the "tea party" cult isn't all over this is also hyporcritical...but oh yeah, they dont care for the brown people much.

A few things.

Are they Mexicans or Americans? They cannot be both. Pick one.

The legislation in my opinion was designed to force a reaction. American citizens are being butchered in American cities by illegals. The most public case recently was the cattle rancher who was murdered on his own property. The Teaparty is not relevant to the discussion. Not sure why you added them in, and blatantly wrong.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
OK, so lets just be unpleasant a-holes at every turn!
The world isn't and will never be a bunch of happy unicorns, fluffy bunnies, and huggles. The law is the law. Every country has it. There are reasons for immigration laws. Being nice and wuvtastic for the fraction who do enter illegally and happy to make a positive impact isn't a reason to let laws slide.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #23
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
For the same reason I'm absolutely repulsed when someone threatens violence for drawing pictures of Mohammed. Because the whole idea of the law is completely counter to everything that we (as Americans) are supposed to stand for.
I understand, but what I'm saying is that Arizona obviously has issues with illegal aliens. Whatever the border states are doing is not working (AZ, CA, TX, NM).

I have sympathy for the illegals who are here to geniuenly better themselves and their families lives. That's the American dream in a nutshell. That being said, if you are an illegal than you don't have the same constitutional rights as a legal citizen. Hence, I'm sorry, constitutional rights do not belong to you.

I know there is a huge number of illegals in the US and that is why so many people have a problem with this new policy in AZ. It's going to flush out a lot more illegals.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
ROFL. Funny stuff. No where did I say I think random arrests were ok. I said random ID checks to see if you're an illegal is ok.
Followed by arrests for simply not carrying the right papers with you (see the damn story I linked). Again, these people are subject to arrest for doing absolutely nothing wrong.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #25
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
You obviously haven't read it. It says if someone is stopped for some other violation, and then with probable cause, an officer can proceed with enforcement of this new law. It is not a primary offence, but a secondary offence. It is like to how in Colorado it was the law that seat belts had to be worn but you couldn't be ticketed for it unless you had been stopped initially for a different violation. The legislature was looking into making it primary violation and might have done so. By the way, in Mexico you can be stopped for anything. Same was true when I lived in Colombia, Indonesia, and Venezuela. I often had to show my resident visa. I lived by their laws and could care less that I stuck out with my red hair and pasty skin. BFD...it was their law and I choose to be there, so I accepted it. Done, I showed it, and then went on my way. Big whoop.

Last edited by tesnyde; 04-27-2010 at 05:38 PM..
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote