The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Is Beadles being a T rather than a G being talked about?

Anyone? I'll delete my thread as I'm sure it is. Just trying to find it.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Shoemaker
A Lurker No More

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Not that I've seen.

I think its interesting. I mean, I doubt he'll beat out Harris for the spot, and his physical abilities certainly profile him as a guard in the NFL.

But Harris is certainly an injury risk, and assuming Beadles doesn't look completely terrible in camp, his versatility will definitely be a plus.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I don't think we'll really know what the plan is until training camp. I heard when they drafted him the plan was to move him to C. I think where Seth Olsen fits best is going to be pretty big.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

McD addressed this in his post draft Q&A. He said (iirc) Beadles is more of a tackle-guard, Walton is more of a center-guard, and Olsen is more of a guard-center.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just think Harris is better at RT than our next best guy at G. I presume that would mean Hochstein and Olson at G spots? Eek...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I just think Harris is better at RT than our next best guy at G. I presume that would mean Hochstein and Olson at G spots? Eek...
Beadles absolutely can translate to an NFL guard, man. And that's the plan, I'm sure, but his versatility and experience at tackle is invaluable when you can only activate so many players on gameday and OL who know and can play multiple positions become absolutely indispensable.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My guess is that he spends next season as first reserve for pretty much everyone on the O-Line, the exception being the center.

He should be a significant upgrade on Polumbus as the #3 OT, for sure.

Long term, in terms of being a permanent starter it seems he is more suited to playing guard. But his versatility is something I really like about the pick, really hope he is able to put it together and become a solid pro.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Agreed on versatility being an asset but the problem with jack of all trades is you want your Plan A guy to be a master of his. The backups due to short space can be jack of all trades. Seems just last year we were still talking about the awesomeness of Harris and now he could soon be a backup.

And in my infinite stupidity, I completely forgot about Kuper. So it'll be Hochstein and Olson competing for that LG spot, I assume. Sometimes I'm stupid.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Agreed on versatility being an asset but the problem with jack of all trades is you want your Plan A guy to be a master of his. The backups due to short space can be jack of all trades. Seems just last year we were still talking about the awesomeness of Harris and now he could soon be a backup.

And in my infinite stupidity, I completely forgot about Kuper. So it'll be Hochstein and Olson competing for that LG spot, I assume. Sometimes I'm stupid.
If Harris is healthy, than Beadles will be competing with them at LG and Walton, Olsen and Olson will probably be competing for C.

Youth MIGHT be an issue, but we have enough talent on the OL now that it shouldn't be a persistent concern.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I think he was going to be our C but was always versatile... we took walton with our Gerhart / Hardesty spot to beef up the line more.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
As long as he's healthy, there's no chance of that happening. Harris is awesome.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
DelBronco
Redshirt Sophomore

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Justin Bannan

McDaniels: New linemen are versatile

By Lindsay Jones

DOVE VALLEY — The key word Josh McDaniels likes to use when drafting players is “versatile,” especially so when it comes to offensive linemen.

The Broncos drafted three of them in 2010, and each has the ability to play two positions, he said.

Second-round pick Zane Beadles [1] will start his Denver career at tackle, likely competing for playing time at right tackle, where starter Ryan Harris is coming off toe injury that ended his 2009 season by early December. Beadles can also play guard.
Third-round pick J.D. Walton is projected at center, which is the biggest area of need on the Broncos line after the team released veteran Casey Wiegmann in the offseason. Walton can also play guard.

Fifth-round pick Eric Olsen [2] will get his first shot at guard, even though he played center in 2009 at Notre Dame. He was a guard for the first three years of his career.

What all this means is that the offensive line might be the most interesting group to watch through the rest of the spring and through training camp, with competition as just about every spot (save for left tackle, where Ryan Clady has that securely nailed down).

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...oncos:+Blog%29

Whatever keeps Polumbus off the field, I'm in favor of.
DelBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Ultimately the 5 best players are going to start. That is the luxury of drafting 3 guys (Beadles, Walton, Olsen) that are versatile and have played multiple positions. If Harris isn't fully recovered, Beadles could very well start at RT. However, if Harris/Clady/Kuper are all healthy going into the season then the competition will be for the center and LG spots, with the players that lose out on starting playing an important backup role where they could be plugged in to multiple positions.

I'm betting Beadles and Walton win those two starting jobs, then Olsen, Hochstein, and Olsen serve as the backups inside.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/4...nner#storyjump

As announced previously in this space, Comcast has generously agreed to support the best NFL community around -- us! As part of that effort, between now and the end of the 2010 NFL season Comcast will be sponsoring a variety of special editorial and interactive features on our site.
It is easy to be optimistic for your team after the draft. For the Denver Broncos and their fans, optimism should be overflowing.
In 2009, the Broncos finished the season below average or worse in running the ball and stopping the run, two factors that made large contributions to their lack of quality play over the final ten games of the season which caused the team's 6-0 start to fizzle into an 8-8 finish.
There's no question how big of factors running the ball and stopping the run were for the Broncos. In their six game winning streak, Denver ranked in the top five in running the ball offensively, and were in the top five of every major category defensively, including defending the run.
Even though the Broncos lacked flash offensively, Kyle Orton and company managed to get the job done for the first six games, and with a little help from Eddie Royal in game six, the Broncos entered the bye week nearly flawless. Orton was being talked about as an MVP candidate, as was defensive end/outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil. Josh McDaniels was being crowned coach of the year for his incredible job with the Broncos.
And then the Ravens happened.
The Broncos travelled to Baltimore after their bye week and got a nice taste of their own medicine, or what they'd been serving every week for the first six weeks. Hard nosed defense, and an offense with the will to win. The Ravens were simply better than the Broncos, and when Denver realized that, their confidence was shot seemingly for the rest of the season.

Now, that's not to say that Denver didn't find success at all the rest of the year. The team managed a very quality win on Thanksgiving against the New York Giants, and a blowout over rival Kansas City on the road, but the defense lacked intensity. The running game went from one of the best in the NFL to an Achille's heel.
Due to those two factors, the Broncos became increasingly worse passing the ball offensively, and because they struggled to run the ball effectively, it's no surprise that their offensive opportunities became more limited, they became one dimensional, and quite simply, it seemed that the Broncos played not to lose their games rather than play to win.
Whether or not that is true, you can be the judge.
When the 2010 offseason kicked off in early March, not many expected the Broncos to be big players. The free agent market was fairly shallow due to the CBA, and quite honestly, any premiere player available would simply have been a poor investment for the Broncos.

That didn't stop Josh McDaniels and the Denver Broncos brass from going out and making things happen, particularly with "3rd and short" on both sides of the ball in mind.
Justin Bannan, a 30-year old defensive end from the Baltimore Ravens was the first big man to sign with the Broncos. At 6'3" 314 pounds, Bannan is a versatile player who can help the Broncos as a defensive end or guard, as well as at nose tackle.
The Broncos continued to bolster their defensive front by adding former Patriots defensive lineman Jarvis Green, who has been a key reserve much of his career. Green fits more the mold of a pass rushing defensive guard for Denver's 3-4/5-2 defensive alignment, as he is a slender 285 pounds, and the thinnest of Denver's defensive linemen.
After Denver went out and signed these quality veteran defenders, they made what some believe to be the most underrated moves of the offseason when they signed former San Diego nose tackle Jamal Williams. Williams, when healthy, is one of the best space eating nose tackles in the NFL, and he's proven that despite his age, he is still a very quality defender. Despite the fact that Williams is on the back end of his career, he still can be a very productive nose tackle if he is healthy, and the Broncos have qulity depth behind him to keep him in a rotation.
In addition to the new defensive linemen the team has brought in, the Broncos decided to devote three picks in the 2010 NFL Draft to the offensive line, moves they hope will help solve some of their running game woes.
After selecting two offensive playmakers in wide receiver Demaryius Thomas and quarterback Tim Tebow, the Broncos started to think nasty.
In the second round, McDaniels and the rest of the Denver crew made a surprising yet necessary move by selecting Utah lineman Zane Beadles with the 45th overall pick. I had Beadles projected to the Broncos in the fourth round, where CBS Sports had him ranked, but the Broncos obviously knew something we all didn't and they pulled the trigger on him.
Beadles reportedly will start his career at right tackle, but his future should be on the interior, as he projects much better to the guard position due to his lack of elite level quickness and athleticism. What Beadles lacks in flash though, he more than makes up for with effort, strength, and intelligence.
The former Utah lineman is said to be the best offensive lineman to play for the Utes since Jordan Gross, who was a top 10 pick of the Carolina Panthers a few years back.
One of the things you've got to love about Zane when you read about him is this statistic--he has played in 50-of-51 career games at Utah. 50 starts in college football is impressive enough, but consider this as well--Beadles has played through a knee sprain, a leg laceration, and even a concussion in college career. This is not meant to promote playing with a serious injury, but the Broncos drafted one tough dude.
With his tenacity, hard work, strength, and leadership, Beadles will quickly find a role on this team. Whether or not he is filling in for Ryan Harris remains to be seen, but the first offensive lineman picked by the Broncos has the ability to play all five positions along the offensive line, though his niche will be found at guard or tackle.
With their next selection, the Broncos made a move many thought might happen if they did not pursue Florida center Maurkice Pouncey. With the 80th pick in the draft, the Broncos took Baylor center and All American J.D. Walton.
Walton is in an interesting position. He could very well be the starting center on opening day for the Broncos. To take a center in the third round is quite high, and Walton was the first true center selected in the draft, so that just goes to show how highly the Broncos think of him.
The former Baylor star plays with a mean streak, and I love what CBS Sports said about him:
Walton should use some of his signing bonus to buy an IHOP, as he has truly mastered the art of serving up the "pancake" block while at Baylor.
This kid was a ferocious mauler for the Bears, and is considered to be the ideal intelligent, durable type of player you look for in a center. He instantly upgrades the Broncos' offense.
To add depth, the Broncos selected former Notre Dame lineman Eric Olsen with their sixth round pick. Olsen was considered to be a 4th-6th round pick by many draft sites, and I think the Broncos did a nice job of getting good value here.
Denver was a team who was very, very thin on the interior offensive line, primarily at center. While Olsen projects as a guard to center in the NFL because of his mauler type of attitude, the Broncos greatly value versatility and this is a guy that can help them at multiple positions. Charlie Weis called Olsen the "heart and soul" of the Notre Dame offensive line.
Add in the fact that the Broncos have former Iowa guard Seth Olsen waiting in the wings, and it seems this offensive line is ready for a youth infusion.
The Broncos clearly have placed a premium on upgrading their "beef" this offseason, if you will, and for good reasons. They obviously struggled with depth toward the end of last season, it was exploited, and Josh McDaniels took advantage.
The Broncos, on paper at least, are extremely improved in the running games and defending the run. Now, the hope is that the other areas of the team can follow suit.
Comcast is a proud supporter of MileHighReport. You'll get your Denver Broncos games as a part of over 120 NFL games Comcast provides in HD, as well as On Demand game recaps from every NFL game every week, faster Internet speeds, and stunning HD. With Comcast and NFL RedZone, you get every touchdown from every game every Sunday afternoon! Call 1-800-COMCAST or visit http://www.comcast.com.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Every scouting report I've read says that Beadles doesn't have enough lateral motion to play tackle at the pro level, but that he'd be a fine guard with some work.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Hochstein not in the mix to start anymore IMO. He is a bkup who provides depth at most. Hey may not even make the team. Last yr he played mostly out of need not because the team see's him as a starter.

I could be wrong maybe he is in the mix, but with Olson another yr alone, Kuper still here, and 2 new young interior olineman coming aboard seems like he is off man out.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Hochstien will be depth for sure. Not starter material by any means.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

You guys need to listen to the press conferences. He said specifically that he projects as a guard/tackle and will compete at RT immediately.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
meangene
Ring of Famer

Seems pretty clear that S. Olsen and Walton are expected to be new starters as LG and C respectively. I think Beadles is insurance for Harris this year and could eventually replace him if he can not stay healthy - he is bigger than Harris as well. E. Olsen will work at RG behind Kuper and a decision will be made after this season as to who is the future there. I also think E. Olsen is depth at C. Hochstein is probably the top reserve at both guard spots for this year. Anyway, that is how I read it.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You guys need to listen to the press conferences. He said specifically that he projects as a guard/tackle and will compete at RT immediately.
Compete yes, but unless he beats out Harris, will probably be back up at G/T.

Good thing either way.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

If any of the rooks can't handle the mental aspect, expect Hochstein to start at center. I'm actually more excited about Walton than Beadles, myself.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #22
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

There is some discussion between Kupesdad & others regarding where Beadles fits in the Eric Olsen draft thread (from right after he was picked)
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
If any of the rooks can't handle the mental aspect, expect Hochstein to start at center. I'm actually more excited about Walton than Beadles, myself.
Me too. I don't think I've read a bad thing about the guy. He's going to be our Center for the next 10 years, IMO.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #24
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

I'd be shocked if he beat out Harris. Either way versatility is very appealing when you think about it in terms of fitting guys onto a 53 man roster.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #25
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Me too. I don't think I've read a bad thing about the guy. He's going to be our Center for the next 10 years, IMO.
The only negative (and worrisome) thing I've read about him is that he gets walked back. Kupesdad was talking about it, and I saw it in a couple magazines too. I figure no one can get walked back worse than Hamilton did last year though, he was just getting buried.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote