The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
KevinJames
DT

Default Josh McDaniels apparently said on ESPN first take Tebow will compete to be a starter

I woke up this morning and my Dad called me and asked me if I had seen first take I said "nope why? He explained to me that they had McDaniels on and later in first take Skip and some dude were debating this question " Josh McDaniels says Tebow will compete for the starting QB job and will ONLY play QB. What do you think of this pick NOW??

" Skip Bayless than said he talked to McDaniels and he thinks Tebow will end up winning the starting job and skip thinks he can definitely beat out Orton and Quinn

now I could be wrong cause I didn't see it but did anyone else see it? I looked up it all I found was that it was a question on first and ten. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4209473
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Sure he will be given a chance
but i doubt he beats out orton
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Of course he will "compete". I wouldn't want it any other way. If he can give the team a better chance then by all means play him. That said I don't think he will win it this year.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It would make sense. They just spent a first on him and Orton is horrible.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

From another post:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft1...ory?id=5134382

McDaniels has narrow vision for Tebow

By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com
Archive

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Many people have many ideas for Tim Tebow in the NFL.

Some believe he'll be a fine H-back because of his sturdy stature and hard running style. Others think he'd be a terrific special teams player because of his desire for the game.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels doesn't envision any of those roles for Tebow, the player he traded three picks to Baltimore for and for whom he staked his reputation as a coach on.

"He's a quarterback," McDaniels said Saturday afternoon after wrapping up his second draft as Denver's coach. "He's a quarterback. That's all he's going to do."

McDaniels and Tebow will begin the process of making the Gators legend an NFL-quality quarterback next week in a rookie-only minicamp.

McDaniels reiterated again Saturday that Tebow will be competing for the job that is currently owned by Kyle Orton.

"Like everybody, he will be competing for a job," McDaniels said."I don't care if a guy is a rookie. If he's earned the job, he'll play. That goes for any position. But I'll say this, he has a long way to go to get there. But he is starting the process."

McDaniels said Tebow could potentially play in "wildcat" packages as a rookie if he isn't playing otherwise. But he made it clear that Tebow's primary goal is to become a starting quarterback, no gimmicks attached.

"He's a quarterback," said McDaniels for a third time in a five-minute conversation.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
skunk
Seasoned Veteran

WOE UNTO THEE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
No

no thanks. mods please flush thread.
skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

There has never been a more worthelss human than Skip Bayless.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Why is this a surprise?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

TeBlow to the rescue.............WOOHOO
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Why is this a surprise?
I was thinking the same thing.....

Meh...Orton will be a very motivated starter (contract year) in 2010.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

what?!? you mean we're not sending him down to AAA or AA ball for a few years?!?!?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

And your surprised by this? Any player on the roster is going to try and land a starter job. The thread title is kind of like if I jump in the water I might get wet. Tebow wasn't drafted to be vocal water boy.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Competing to start in 2010? Crazy talk.

A majority of the "normal" reps better go to Orton and Quinn.

I expect to see Tebow in goalline and short yardage though.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

He may not win it by the opener, but he'll definitely be the starter by the end of the season. He's a "project" that's going to work against the "timeline" of development so-called experts assign him.

Not to mention he's not up against Brady, Brees and Manning...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
MaloCS
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Despite the party line coming out of Dove Valley the Broncos ARE definitely rebuilding. Having said this it is in the Broncos' best interests if Tebow starts sooner rather then later. If he is the QB of the future he needs to take his lumps now so that in 2 years he will be blossoming instead of just starting the process.

I honestly think that Orton will be the starter on opening day but Tebow will take over sometime in the final quarter of the season. The maturation process needs to start as soon as possible. The sooner the better.

And for all the Broncos' fans that see everything through orange colored glasses the team is not going to be competing for a title in the next two years. This team is being rebuilt from the ground up and the actions of the coaches will support that. The mantra around here should be Superbowl or bust in 2012 because that's as soon as it's going to happen.

I'm excited about watching a "gamer" QB regardless of the obvious growing pains he will experience. Hell, if Sanchez can be somewhat successful his first season out then Tebow has the ability to match that success. It's going to be fun which is exactly what Orton won't be.

Go Timbow!

Last edited by MaloCS; 04-26-2010 at 10:43 AM..
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Brandstater will compete to be the starter as well.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
Brandstater will compete to be the starter as well.
Haha exactly. This is Josina caliber reporting right here.

Except she's not going to break this amazing story for another week or so.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
KevinJames
DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Why is this a surprise?
I thought there would be 0 chance of Tebow starting the 2010 season, so its a huge surprise to me.

I thought maybe Orton would start since thats who was named the starter, and Quinn and Brandstater compete for backup while Tebow, learns.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Unless Orton and Quinn go down with injuries, Tebow will be running trick plays until at least next season... assuming there is one.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
MaloCS
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Unless Orton and Quinn go down with injuries, Tebow will be running trick plays until at least next season... assuming there is one.
No way no how. This team and coach are on a timeline for success. If Tebow is the QB of the future he has to start sometime this season. The kid needs to take his lumps sooner rather then later.

Go Tebow! It's gonna be fun to watch!
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
I thought there would be 0 chance of Tebow starting the 2010 season, so its a huge surprise to me.

There IS 0 chance of Tebow starting the 2010 season.

The surprise is people are surprised that a coach said all positions are subject to competition.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I think Josh is just trying to incentivise Tebow to work hard. The kid needs a clear goal. He doesn't want him to be thinking "What is my role on this team? Will I ever start?" The opportunity is there from day one, as it should be.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Dude, of course he will compete to be a starter. That's what first round draft picks do. In fact, I will go out on a limb and proclaim that on opening day he IS the STARTER.... Starting Wildcat QB that is.

Hey, it is a QB position right?

Unless Orton chokes hard this year, Tebow won't start the you know, regular QB position until 2011.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Of course Tebow will compete to be the starter.

Thats McDaniels whole mantra. Everyone competes for everything they get.

We've got Orton and Quinn so that Tebow will be shielded even in the event of injury from having to start unless he's truly advanced to that point. But if he does? Well, it is what it is.

I'm expecting him to play a good chunk of preseason, and then come the start of the regular season he'll get a series or two a game where he gets to go out and run the wildcat/wild horses formation. If that is successful he'll see more and more touches. If his passing out of that formation is surprisingly advanced then before long we'll start having him run some base offensive formations mixed in on the series he gets the ball. If even after that he's still tearing it up then he takes the starting job.

He could really surprise some people here though. Thomas and Decker are both great blockers. Royal is a good blocker for his size. Moreno is a versatile blocker as well. Quinn and Graham are both noted for their blocking. We now have a young OL with a lot of depth and size to it.

Add that our new #1 WR and our #2 WR have both played in option style offenses, so the wildcat isn't totally new concepts to them. Moreno already was running the wild horses formation last season and is supposed to be a high football IQ guy.

Teams better be ready for what this collection of players can offer out of the packages McDaniels is going to put together for them. They're primed for early success within it, maybe even more than out of the base offense.

If by week 9 or so we see that Tebow is scoring touchdowns on most of his series while Orton/Quinn are not I'm sure McDaniels will do the logical thing.

A modified spread option might be hitting the NFL a lot sooner than some people realize.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #25
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
There IS 0 chance of Tebow starting the 2010 season.

The surprise is people are surprised that a coach said all positions are subject to competition.
you probably haven't been watching football very long..

never say never
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote