The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
orangenblue
Ring of Famer

Default Building a team based on morals and character

why are we building the BYU of the NFL? Talent seems to be secondary on McD's list of ingredients included in building a winning team. If McDaniel's is gonna take the attitude that strict morals and work ethic come first and then talent second, were screwed! You need to stirke a balance. You need to be able to teach, respect, and work with players. You need to be able to develope them. Players with questionable backgrounds (Dez Bryant) but a ton talent, deserve a shot. If you build your team by striking a balance between veterans, guys with great morals and character, and guys with questionable backgrounds, your accessing the total pool of talent that the draft and free angency are offering. Questionable background guys that hang around with the veterans and high moral guys usually learn something. Give the team a chance to gel together!

What I see is a guy (McD) that is way off balance, out of whack. We have nearly ZERO outstanding talent left on this team. Everyone with talent has been sent packing. McD is way too big on good guys with high morals. I just don't see it. Why trade up to get Tebow! We should of traded up to get Rolando McClain. He makes our defense better! What does Tebow do for us this year?

Bottom line is the Broncos didn't make the team better this offseason. They made it worse.
orangenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

. Pathetic
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

I just don't get it-Tebow is SO polarizing-what happened to American morals, values and ethics? I am very happy with this pick, and meanwhile half of America is calling the kid names.

I'll take this kid anyday. Hard work, great attitude, desire to win or work so hard that he will win. He has won so many football awards it isn't funny, then people question if he is a football player.

When I watch tape on him, he finds a way to move the ball or score-he isn't afraid of the hit, and he tries so hard-he reminds me of Elway with his grit and determination. If he can learn to read defenses we have a true, frnachise quarterback-it may not be until 2012, but tha is fine by me-I can wait.
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I'm sure there's plenty of room on the Cowboys bandwagon for you.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

He took Perrish Cox. I don't agree with the Tebow pick, just because I don't believe his game will translate to the pros. I like the Demaryius pick. I like getting smarter players, and I especially like getting bigger and meaner on the lines, and in the receiving corps. I couldn't stand another season watching the Broncos going for it on fourth and one only to get stuffed. I think people are putting too much weight on the Tebow pick. I consider it Josh's flyer. A little expensive for my tastes, but since I agree with everything else he's doing, I can live with that. Besides, getting Tebow is a marketing coup. More money means more FAs, who will start getting cut this week and during camp. IMO, you shouldn't take chances on character, medical condition, or anything else in the first round. First rounders should be as pure as you can get them. Save the gambles for the later rounds.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
He took Perrish Cox. I don't agree with the Tebow pick, just because I don't believe his game will translate to the pros. I like the Demaryius pick. I like getting smarter players, and I especially like getting bigger and meaner on the lines, and in the receiving corps. I couldn't stand another season watching the Broncos going for it on fourth and one only to get stuffed. I think people are putting too much weight on the Tebow pick. I consider it Josh's flyer. A little expensive for my tastes, but since I agree with everything else he's doing, I can live with that. Besides, getting Tebow is a marketing coup. More money means more FAs, who will start getting cut this week and during camp. IMO, you shouldn't take chances on character, medical condition, or anything else in the first round. First rounders should be as pure as you can get them. Save the gambles for the later rounds.
But even if you don't think Tim will be a successful NFL QB, he'll immediately help in those fourth and one's you didn't like. Spreading the formation and letting him pick his spot will be a weapon for us. He seems to have a knack for it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenblue View Post
why are we building the BYU of the NFL? Talent seems to be secondary on McD's list of ingredients included in building a winning team. If McDaniel's is gonna take the attitude that strict morals and work ethic come first and then talent second, were screwed! You need to stirke a balance. You need to be able to teach, respect, and work with players. You need to be able to develope them. Players with questionable backgrounds (Dez Bryant) but a ton talent, deserve a shot. If you build your team by striking a balance between veterans, guys with great morals and character, and guys with questionable backgrounds, your accessing the total pool of talent that the draft and free angency are offering. Questionable background guys that hang around with the veterans and high moral guys usually learn something. Give the team a chance to gel together!

What I see is a guy (McD) that is way off balance, out of whack. We have nearly ZERO outstanding talent left on this team. Everyone with talent has been sent packing. McD is way too big on good guys with high morals. I just don't see it. Why trade up to get Tebow! We should of traded up to get Rolando McClain. He makes our defense better! What does Tebow do for us this year?

Bottom line is the Broncos didn't make the team better this offseason. They made it worse.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
orange&blue87
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
What I see is a guy (McD) that is way off balance, out of whack. We have nearly ZERO outstanding talent left on this team. Everyone with talent has been sent packing.
Funny quote from someone with Champ as their avatar.

It should be noted that the Broncos have essentially lost Cutler and Marshall... if that is all a team has as far as "outstanding talent", then yes it would probably be best to turn those two into picks, and give it another go in the draft because, according to your logic of only having TWO talented players, the Broncos were in trouble before McD got here.
orange&blue87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
We have nearly ZERO outstanding talent left on this team.

fail.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You only start taking chances on character risks once you have a locker room that you know can handle it. Once you know that the guys on your roster truly are a team, and not just a bunch of guys who are all employed by the same franchise, then maybe you start taking chances on guys who might have character concerns.

At the moment he is still trying to build that unified team, and it is not something you can do overnight.

Also the notion that we have no outstanding talent on our team is hilarious.

If only we had traded up and taken a 2-down ILB in the top 6 of the draft and payed him an obscene contract, like you suggest. That would have been so, so ,so, so smart.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
But even if you don't think Tim will be a successful NFL QB, he'll immediately help in those fourth and one's you didn't like. Spreading the formation and letting him pick his spot will be a weapon for us. He seems to have a knack for it.
Yeah, he might work as a decoy, althought he's a little pricey for that role. What I like the most is the new Oline picks. Big, mean and nasty. I love the video where Zane knocks guys down at the end of the play. And the new WRs, big and smart. Good times ahead.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
I just don't get it-Tebow is SO polarizing-what happened to American morals, values and ethics? I am very happy with this pick, and meanwhile half of America is calling the kid names.

I'll take this kid anyday. Hard work, great attitude, desire to win or work so hard that he will win. He has won so many football awards it isn't funny, then people question if he is a football player.

When I watch tape on him, he finds a way to move the ball or score-he isn't afraid of the hit, and he tries so hard-he reminds me of Elway with his grit and determination. If he can learn to read defenses we have a true, frnachise quarterback-it may not be until 2012, but tha is fine by me-I can wait.
He'd be called less names and treated more fairly if he hadn't done the pro-life commercial. A lot of people are sick and tired of hearing religious extremists everywhere trying to convince you that their philosophy, faith, and practice is the only way to lead a good life... and people see a high profile guy like Tebow doing super bowl commercials doing just that, and those who disagree with his point of view will often revolt against the man himself as a symbol of the message.

Its unfortunate that the kid gets the reaction he gets from a lot of people, but he makes a lot of people uncomfortable, tired, or annoyed because he clearly stands as a symbol of his message.

The other thing is that Tebow is such an unknown. He is one of the most decorated college QBs ever, he is the most efficient passer coming out of the SEC ever, he has the grit and determination of a true soldier on the field... this also makes people uncomfortable. They have no idea what the kid is going to do in the NFL, but he has the chance of being one of the more dangerous offensive weapons to play the game. I think that scares people. Combine that with the religious aspect and people feel compelled to pick a side. Once they pick, they realize they can't go back without losing face so they are then induced to join the dregs and the mud slingers in trying to point all of his possible flaws that they can. The exact same thing happens in politics and you absolutely saw it last year with the way people reacted to Obama and Palin - two sort of unknowns added into running for a position that has never been held by anyone other than a white man. You got extreme reactions and a lot of insults... most of which weren't exactly fair or even correct.

Too me, Jimmy Clausen looks like and acts like an uber-douche, but you don't hear many ragging on him. Haven't really heard a peep about Bradford. I think Tebow just brings everything anyone would ever want in a player onto the field with a giant question mark as to his ability to perform in the NFL and the knowledge that he is a super Christian, it just adds up to an easy target for the weak minded to mercilessly attack when there really isn't absolute proof to how he'll play in the NFL.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post

You'll take some polarizing passionately jacked ball juice, any day?
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yeah, he might work as a decoy, althought he's a little pricey for that role. What I like the most is the new Oline picks. Big, mean and nasty. I love the video where Zane knocks guys down at the end of the play. And the new WRs, big and smart. Good times ahead.
Not even a decoy. I'm talking about tucking the ball and picking up those short yards. He just has a knack for it like Marcus Allen did. He's not afraid to hit and seems to have unusual wiggle to find running room. Combine this with an ability to throw and you have a weapon you can use right away. I believe in this guy, he'll find a role.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
I think Tebow just brings everything anyone would ever want in a player onto the field with a giant question mark as to his ability to perform in the NFL and the knowledge that he is a super Christian, it just adds up to an easy target for the weak minded to mercilessly attack when there really isn't absolute proof to how he'll play in the NFL.
Great take, and I agree-people tend to want to b**** about their lot in life, and when they see someone who is successful WHILE being a good person, they look inward and lash out.

Well, we'll see-it certainly puts us back into the limelight, like it or not.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
You'll take some polarizing passionately jacked ball juice, any day?
Thanks but no thanks-
Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:

This is probably the most ridiculous post I've seen in years. Zero outstanding talent left on this team? Good lord.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Maybe the point of this thread is a little too simplistic. I see lots of high character guys, but the thing I am seeing most is........ intelligence.

McD seems to be drafting smart players, not always perfect ones with no blemishes. And, for the record, they tried to keep Marshall, but didn't want to pay him the biggest WR contract in the league.

There are several guys on the team that have been previously arrested (DJ, Marcus Thomas, Daniel Graham) - McD hasn't kicked them off either.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
Too me, Jimmy Clausen looks like and acts like an uber-douche, but you don't hear many ragging on him. Haven't really heard a peep about Bradford. I think Tebow just brings everything anyone would ever want in a player onto the field with a giant question mark as to his ability to perform in the NFL and the knowledge that he is a super Christian, it just adds up to an easy target for the weak minded to mercilessly attack when there really isn't absolute proof to how he'll play in the NFL.
Yeah, people who disagree with you are "weak minded." Great take.

Some people just find the whole "Dudley Do-Right" personality annoying. What are we turning into, some kind of mediocre country where everybody has to pool together into one giant herd of acceptance? Moooo.

I've heard plenty of people rag on Clausen. Hell, look at where he got drafted? I guess that's comment enough. A month ago on the Mane, he was voted as the "Face you would love to punch." With Tebow, it's not just religious. It's the whole "Teacher, you forgot to give out the homework" and "Let me carry your books" and "Let me help you cross the street" persona. Sure, some people love it. Especially grandmas. Some people find it annoying. So what?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #21
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

I just watched the pro-life SB commercial everyone is talking about. It was pretty mild. I was adopted in the 70's right after the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision. I thank my lucky stars that my biological parents (teenagers at the time) decided to put me up for adoption rather than taking the easy way out. Tim and his family are in the same boat (regardless of their religious beliefs) with the difference being that doctors thought he would be stillborn. I don't see why they wouldn't take their story to the masses given the circumstances. I think it upsets the pro-choice crowd because they can't possibly produce a commercial themselves that morally justifies abortion...because it simply is not morally justifiable.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Not even a decoy. I'm talking about tucking the ball and picking up those short yards. He just has a knack for it like Marcus Allen did. He's not afraid to hit and seems to have unusual wiggle to find running room. Combine this with an ability to throw and you have a weapon you can use right away. I believe in this guy, he'll find a role.
I have to admit, I'm curious to see how he works out. He gives it everything he's got on the field, that's for sure. You have to admire his passion. My initial reaction is that he is a product of Urban Meyer's world and won't make the transition to the pros. I don't put a ton of weight on the decision, like some people. Tebow is not a make-or-break gamble for McDaniels or the Broncos. Josh sees enough to want to take a shot on the kid. He sure as hell knows more about coaching QBs than I do.

In fact, now that I think about it, maybe it's not that big of a deal to take a shot on Tebow now. Josh will have a pretty good idea of where he's at by the end of the season, and if he feels the need to go elsewhere, he'll still have two second rounders and a first to go after Locker, Luck or Mallett next year. Tebow's a good enough athlete that he could play another position, if that's how it worked out. As far as picking up the short yards, I think getting Beadles and Walton is going to make the big difference there.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #23
Paladin
Ring of Famer

"With Tebow, it's not just religious. It's the whole "Teacher, you forgot to give out the homework" and "Let me carry your books" and "Let me help you cross the street" persona. Sure, some people love it. Especially grandmas. Some people find it annoying. So what?"

lol!! You really are butt hurt, aren't you? You may be annoyed, but three quaraters of the fan base is not. Check out your own poll or the others. No body likes a cow that walks in the wrong direction, either, when the issue is miniscule. Try and get over yourself.

My point is that Tebow is first a Football player, and I don't give a whip about the other inconsequential stuff. Dudley Dooright won, too.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Posted after you did. Suddenly, you seem more reasonable......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
"With Tebow, it's not just religious. It's the whole "Teacher, you forgot to give out the homework" and "Let me carry your books" and "Let me help you cross the street" persona. Sure, some people love it. Especially grandmas. Some people find it annoying. So what?"

lol!! You really are butt hurt, aren't you? You may be annoyed, but three quaraters of the fan base is not. Check out your own poll or the others. No body likes a cow that walks in the wrong direction, either, when the issue is miniscule. Try and get over yourself.

My point is that Tebow is first a Football player, and I don't give a whip about the other inconsequential stuff. Dudley Dooright won, too.
Do you have this same overwrought reaction to everybody who disagrees with you? Must be tough, emo boy. Why would I give a **** what three quarters of anybody thinks? Do you have a set of balls on you? Ever heard of the concept of "think for yourself." Try it sometime. You might find it refreshing.