The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Tebow is a Quarterback. Period.

I apologize if this was posted, but I didn't see it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft1...ory?id=5134382

McDaniels has narrow vision for Tebow

By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com
Archive

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Many people have many ideas for Tim Tebow in the NFL.

Some believe he'll be a fine H-back because of his sturdy stature and hard running style. Others think he'd be a terrific special teams player because of his desire for the game.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels doesn't envision any of those roles for Tebow, the player he traded three picks to Baltimore for and for whom he staked his reputation as a coach on.

"He's a quarterback," McDaniels said Saturday afternoon after wrapping up his second draft as Denver's coach. "He's a quarterback. That's all he's going to do."

McDaniels and Tebow will begin the process of making the Gators legend an NFL-quality quarterback next week in a rookie-only minicamp.

McDaniels reiterated again Saturday that Tebow will be competing for the job that is currently owned by Kyle Orton.

"Like everybody, he will be competing for a job," McDaniels said."I don't care if a guy is a rookie. If he's earned the job, he'll play. That goes for any position. But I'll say this, he has a long way to go to get there. But he is starting the process."

McDaniels said Tebow could potentially play in "wildcat" packages as a rookie if he isn't playing otherwise. But he made it clear that Tebow's primary goal is to become a starting quarterback, no gimmicks attached.

"He's a quarterback," said McDaniels for a third time in a five-minute conversation.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,917

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Is that kind of like the interview where he kept saying "He's my quarterback" about Jay Cutler?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Borks147
the dude abides...
 
Borks147's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hanover NH
Posts: 1,845
Default

remember when Orton split out as a WR for a Wild Horses play during the Patriots game last year? Won't look as funny when you have The Tebow out there.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borks147 View Post
remember when Orton split out as a WR for a Wild Horses play during the Patriots game last year? Won't look as funny when you have The Tebow out there.
....and that's just 1 option out of the wildhorses. Essentially, even when he lines up under center, it could be a wildhorses type of play, with him running. Or, it may not, he could throw it. Teams are really going to have to honor both.

I can see it now. Broncos line up with Tebow under center. He takes off to the right, Moreno ahead and just behind, like they are going to run an option play. The Safety and CB to that side think run and cheat up to help. Tebow pulls up, Moreno cuts straight up into a blocking position in front of him. Tebow see a wide open WR down the sideline and bam. TD !!!

This could be really fun.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Essentially, even when he lines up under center, it could be a wildhorses type of play, with him running. Or, it may not, he could throw it. Teams are really going to have to honor both.
Congratulations, you just described every play ever run in football history. A QB lines up under center: he could either throw it, or he could hand it off to someone and have them run! WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA

I mean I'm sure there are some things we will be able to do with Tebow, but this is getting a little stupid.

And I don't buy running any kind of true option with any real frequency. There's a reason it's never worked in the NFL, despite it being the original college fad offense. All you've done is describe, first: a standard modern NFL play under center, with the lone difference being that our QB could take it rather than hand it off, which is essentially irrelevant; and second: a good old fashioned double option play, which has never worked as a base tenant of an offense in the NFL.

The "wildcat" offense isn't anything special at all, and you'll note its effectiveness was already dipping toward the end of last year. All you're doing is replacing a QB with a running back, giving you either an extra blocker or an extra running threat. To make Tebow anything special at the thing, you have to take as a given that he can be an effective between the tackles runner in the NFL, which is both a big question mark, and something you don't really want to ask of a guy you want to play QB for a decade. Bottom line: for any of it to matter in the long term, Tebow has to develop into an effective pocket passer. The running QB thing was already a dying trend, because nothing in the NFL is going to work for long if you can't quickly and accurately dissect a defense. The rest is fluff.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Congratulations, you just described every play ever run in football history. A QB lines up under center: he could either throw it, or he could hand it off to someone and have them run! WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA

I mean I'm sure there are some things we will be able to do with Tebow, but this is getting a little stupid.

And I don't buy running any kind of true option with any real frequency. There's a reason it's never worked in the NFL, despite it being the original college fad offense. All you've done is describe, first: a standard modern NFL play under center, with the lone difference being that our QB could take it rather than hand it off, which is essentially irrelevant; and second: a good old fashioned double option play, which has never worked as a base tenant of an offense in the NFL.

The "wildcat" offense isn't anything special at all, and you'll note its effectiveness was already dipping toward the end of last year. All you're doing is replacing a QB with a running back, giving you either an extra blocker or an extra running threat. To make Tebow anything special at the thing, you have to take as a given that he can be an effective between the tackles runner in the NFL, which is both a big question mark, and something you don't really want to ask of a guy you want to play QB for a decade. Bottom line: for any of it to matter in the long term, Tebow has to develop into an effective pocket passer. The running QB thing was already a dying trend, because nothing in the NFL is going to work for long if you can't quickly and accurately dissect a defense. The rest is fluff.
Relax bud. No need to get anal about it.

I never said we were going to be an option offense. I think having a few plays in there can be a good thing, and with Tebow, that's something you can do.

QB's being able to run is not a dying thing in the NFL. There just hasn't been that many guys who are good enough at it along with being good passers. Steve Young was ultimate running QB. Of course you have to be a good pocket passer. That's part of the job. You're going to throw more then you run. Any dolt knows that. And to the point where you say you don't want your QB of the future running, bull crap. Not saying he's going to run all game long, no way. But I can see 10 plays a game where he runs. You don't draft Tebow if that's something you don't want. McD didn't draft Tebow to be purely a pocket passer and that's it. He doesn't expect Tebow to become Petyon Manning. But, if he could look a little something like Steve Young, hell yeah. Tebow showed in college he can handle the hits. I'm tirid of guys always saying things like "well, with NFL sized guys hitting him, he'll get hurt". Sorry, but the guys in college at the big schools are every bit the size of NFL guys these days.

If Josh wanted a Peyton Manning, he would not have drafted Tebow. There may not be a ton of running plays called for Tebow, but I think there will be a few as well as he will probably have the green light to take off if there is some space. And he would no doubt get more then the 2 yards Orton would get, and he get's that just from falling forward after he trips over his own foot.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,079
Default

I don't buy the Steve Young comparisons at all. Steve, like Randal Cunningham and Mike Vick and all the rest, ran like a returner, not a running back. Those are guys with field vision, speed and elusiveness. They ran when plays broke down, or they ran draws or things on the sideline. They offered a legitimate extra dimension, something that defenses didn't see or couldn't naturally account for. Tebow runs the ball up the gut and seeks contact. Every team has a guy like that. Once Tebow crosses the line of scrimage, he's simply a running back. He doesn't need to be "spied" or accounted for because he's not going to break one off. I simply can't see that as being that big of an asset for a quarterback.

Either way, it really, completely comes down to how the man can throw the ball against an NFL defense. Maybe he wasn't drafted to be a Peyton Manning kind of QB or whatever, but you'll note that's the standard: to succeed in the NFL, you have to have that kind of ability in you. If Tebow only has it to a limited degree, he will be a limited NFL QB, running ability or no. I just...I don't see it. I don't see a guy that can throw the football. I don't know. I see a running back with a weird arm and a lot of hype.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Denver Broncos