The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default The Thomas Trade Up

Does anyone else here think it was obvious what was going on with our trade up to #22? New England calls us up and tells us they have a deal in place for Dallas to move up and get a WR. We respond by upping the offer to move up and get our guy. New England turns around and sells our pick to Dallas for their 2nd choice.

I thought it was clear that New England was playing us and Dallas off each other. Did Dallas have Thomas rated higher than Bryant? I don't know, but our moving up to get him makes me think they did. It's clear the Packers weren't going to get him. Same for New England.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Does anyone else here think it was obvious what was going on with our trade up to #22? New England calls us up and tells us they have a deal in place for Dallas to move up and get a WR. We respond by upping the offer to move up and get our guy. New England turns around and sells our pick to Dallas for their 2nd choice.

I thought it was clear that New England was playing us and Dallas off each other. Did Dallas have Thomas rated higher than Bryant? I don't know, but our moving up to get him makes me think they did. It's clear the Packers weren't going to get him. Same for New England.
Could very well be just that... but if you have a guy that you really like do you risk him not being there? I mean, even if you have Bryant and Thomas rated 1A and 1B on your board for WRs. Is it worth a 4th round pick to make sure you get the high character guy? To me it isn't even worth arguing about. It's an easy decision and if the Pats were just playing us... Great job by them.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

I'm glad we weren't satisfied with simply netting our second choice, frankly.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

i'm just glad we didn't get Dez Bryant...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
I'm glad we weren't satisfied with simply netting our second choice, frankly.

Simple.

Done.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
Why?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

There's a chance this is true, but on the other hand, it seems like we have had a very good relationship with the NE regime (player trades, draft pick trades). I think you have a plausible scenario, but probably not the actual scenario.

Maybe someone else called NE also, then they let us have "dibs?" There is plenty of second guessing, but I don't think it caused us to miss on the players we were after (in the first or fourth rounds). Also, we definitely got the wideout(s) that our staff is happy with.

If we use the guys, and we win more games than last year - its all good.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Bronco Yoda

Quote:

I wondered what really happened with this as well.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why?
You really want a guy on your team who forgets his cleats on THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF HIS LIFE? A guy that shows up late to a game?

{Iverson}Not practice, not practice, a game{/Iverson}

Lazy but talented - pass.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
You really want a guy on your team who forgets his cleats on THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF HIS LIFE? A guy that shows up late to a game?

{Iverson}Not practice, not practice, a game{/Iverson}

Lazy but talented - pass.
what he said...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
Rep that.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Thomas is a damn Marshall clone.

King Sized possession receiver who can break tackles. Not bad with his top speed either.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Scouts were concerned about the fact that Thomas wasn't able to get timed in drills. While they would have liked to have seen his agility and straight-line speed firsthand, Thomas' speed is not questioned. Thomas had been timed at 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash while training for the Combine at Athletes Performance. The workout was recorded and when it became apparent that Thomas would be unable to workout for scouts in Indianapolis, his agent, Todd France, sent out DVDs of the workout to all 32 NFL teams. Thomas' rare combination of size and speed might be enough to convince a team to spend a first round pick on him Thursday

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114965
Old 04-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-Freak View Post

King Sized possession receiver who can break tackles. Not bad with his top speed either.
He's 10lb's and 2 inches smaller than Marshall. He isn't close to Marshall in terms of breaking tackles. Thomas has a good stiff arm though.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
He's 10lb's and 2 inches smaller than Marshall. He isn't close to Marshall in terms of breaking tackles. Thomas has a good stiff arm though.
Yeah but who is? I've never seen a WR break as many tackles as Marshall. It didn't always get him somewhere but it sure was fun to watch.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
He's 10lb's and 2 inches smaller than Marshall.
Well, 1 inch and 5 pounds anyway.

I think it's a reasonable comparison ... here's the DraftCountdown capsule:
Strengths:
Excellent height and bulk with long arms and large hands --- Very athletic --- Deceptive speed --- Great leaping ability --- Terrific ball skills and body control --- Vertical threat who makes plays downfield --- Real physical and aggressive --- Knows how to use his size --- Runs with power and will break tackles --- Nice vision --- Good strength --- Terrific stiff-arm --- Above average blocker --- Competitive --- Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Will drop some passes --- A very unpolished route runner --- Not overly quick or explosive and lacks a burst --- Not real elusive and won't make defenders miss --- Pad level might be a problem --- Ability to beat the jam is a question mark --- Must adjust to a pro style offense --- Health?

Notes:
Nickname is "Bay-Bay" and that is what most call him --- A three-year starter for the Yellow Jackets --- Garnered 1st Team All-ACC honors in 2009 --- Was responsible for 46 of the Rambling Wreck's 78 receptions and 8 of their 11 touchdown catches in 2009 --- Played in a triple-option offense in college, which allowed him to feast on single coverage and catch cornerbacks by surprise when they actually did pass --- Broke his foot while training in February and will be unable to work out for teams prior to the 2010 NFL Draft --- Was rumored to have been running in the 4.3's and on pace to amaze at the Scouting Combine prior to the injury --- A very intriguing prospect and extremely impressive physical specimen but also carries considerable risk due to all of the projection that's involved in his evaluation --- Looks like a first round pick on paper and appears to have all of the physical tools that you look for --- Could potentially be a true #1 wideout at the next level
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Several of those "Strengths" and "Weaknesses" are contradictory though
Old 04-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Sounds like marshall on the drops some easy passes.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Several of those "Strengths" and "Weaknesses" are contradictory though
Sounds actually accurate on from the videos I've seen.

He's one of them long striders like Ashley Lelie.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

He isn't a Marshall clone. He is far more like Vincent Jackson then he is Marshall. A big WR that can get deep, he isn't as punishing player like Marshall is.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #21
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think both us and Dallas got played. I almost have more problem with the trade up for Thomas than I do Tebow. I think both could have been traded up for in the 2nd, giving up less. I think there was less possibility that anyone wanted Thomas before the 2nd than wanted Tebow. If anyone wants to call a pick a panic pick that was it. Taking a WR in the first round is just crazy.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Sounds actually accurate on from the videos I've seen.

Oh NO! Another example of taking a WR in the first round.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #23
Paladin
Ring of Famer

In the near future, I'm looking at Thomas and Decker being complimentary just like Smith and Easy Ed. I don't really care if he is a Marshall clone or not, doesn't matter. I suspect he will be a pretty good WR, and with Royal, I think the Broncso have a good future with WRs.....

I am eager to see how McKinley has progressed, and we will see if Jabbar will measure up. I just think the Broncos have soidified their WR corps nicely.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Everyone knew that Dallas would take Dez Bryant. Hell, some have speculated that Dez dogged his 40 to make sure he slid down to Dallas. Threatening that Dallas is moving up when we want Thomas is like saying "hey, this pick here? It won't be Thomas."

Baltimore was supposedly real big on Thomas. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they'd been shopping a pick to NE to jump up and get him.

B'more knocked NE out of the playoffs last year and since then have picked up Boldin. If Belichick could get more out of us and get their guy away from them at the same time I'm sure he'd do it.

It'd also explain why we called Baltimore and worked out a trade so quickly to get back up and grab Tebow. We knew we'd grabbed their guy so they would be looking to bail out.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #25
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote: