The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound
Default Broncos get an A-

From nfl.fanhouse.com . I would say thats pretty good. We'll see what other sport sites grades the Broncos & other teams.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

All the grades I've read are ignoring our other picks and just bashing the Tebow selection. Their grade usually is a paragraph explaining that Tebow being picked is a sign of McDaniels' hubris and he will fail. They act like we only had one pick in the draft. I get that it eclipses the other picks, but you need to look at the whole day if that's what you say you're grading.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Gosselin gave us an "A", said that we had the best 3rd round of any team in the league. Compared Walton to Nalen and Decker to McCaffery.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.3f4b050.html
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarsh615 View Post
gosselin gave us an "a", said that we had the best 3rd round of any team in the league. Compared walton to nalen and decker to mccaffery.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.3f4b050.html

TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I would remove Tebow from the draft and still give the the Broncos an A.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Of all the white WRs we've had compared to Eddie, Decker might actually fit the bill. He's a big, fearless dude with great hands.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i still dont get why the ed mcaffrey reference doesnt work for decker. yes they are both white and yes people like to compare every white WR to ed, but this time it actually fits. not great 40s, great, great hands, possession guys, will willingly block any person on a football field, tough.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

On Tim Tebow:

John Elway So what do I think about the Tim Tebow pick? I think Tim's a high character, competitive, proven winner. Those are all attributes you want from the leader of your football team. Tim will have to adapt to Josh’s offensive system, which is quite different from the offense he ran in college. Tim has the smarts and work ethic to do it though. Welcome to town Tim, Denver is great place!!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Kiper gave us a C-. What a complete buffoon.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Of all the white WRs we've had compared to Eddie, Decker might actually fit the bill. He's a big, fearless dude with great hands.
I agree. The obvious comparison makes me sigh, but there are similarities to their games.

They're both a little limited athletically, but run great routes, catch everything, play fearlessly, and block.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

A- or A fit very well, imo.

I would've prefered to keep all the trade downs, and just take Tebow at 24. Target WR at 43 (not selecting Thomas earlier probably would've left either him or Benn available at our 43 selection). Keep all other selections as was, but now we have another 3rd and 4th to target a great 2 down ILB and another young body to develop along the DL. But this draft is as close to exactly what I wanted them to do that I really can't fault them over a few semantics.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I agree. The obvious comparison makes me sigh, but there are similarities to their games.

They're both a little limited athletically, but run great routes, catch everything, play fearlessly, and block.
Yep. This time, the comparison works.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What's funny is that most of the Tebow bashers harp on the Broncos don't have a legit QB in Orton or Quinn, and when the Broncos address the QB spot, it is still a bad move. People wanting it both ways. There are no guarantees any QB taken in this draft will pan out, including Bradford.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
What's funny is that most of the Tebow bashers harp on the Broncos don't have a legit QB in Orton or Quinn, and when the Broncos address the QB spot, it is still a bad move. People wanting it both ways. There are no guarantees any QB taken in this draft will pan out, including Bradford.
Not really.

Pre-draft the most outspoken Tebow supporters were myself, DBroncos4life, CB40, and... well thats about it. And none of us think Orton's worth a ****.

The biggest Tebow bashers were all OrtonNextElway! types and as usual with all things from Dove Valley, they lack a spine and shift their opinion based on what happened and then claim it's from "Looking at this move closer" or "With the information I read after from..." or "I actually liked this all along, just later".

But who cares? We got a great guy and people are behind it. That's what matters.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
All the grades I've read are ignoring our other picks and just bashing the Tebow selection. Their grade usually is a paragraph explaining that Tebow being picked is a sign of McDaniels' hubris and he will fail. They act like we only had one pick in the draft. I get that it eclipses the other picks, but you need to look at the whole day if that's what you say you're grading.
Put up a thread after day one saying I was pretty unhappy with our approach, but that the right kind of finish could still make it a great draft. (imo) They did just that.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i still dont get why the ed mcaffrey reference doesnt work for decker. yes they are both white and yes people like to compare every white WR to ed, but this time it actually fits. not great 40s, great, great hands, possession guys, will willingly block any person on a football field, tough.
He needs to go to the toy story and buy some pads. Then he needs to prove he can block like Eddie Mac......and point at the defender.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
He needs to go to the toy story and buy some pads. Then he needs to prove he can block like Eddie Mac......and point at the defender.
He was considered one of the top 2 blockers among WRs in this draft.

Personally I don't see him as an Eddie Mac type. Eddie had straight line speed but wasn't known for his exlosiveness in and out of breaks which is Decker's strength. The commonality is both had/have great hands and concentration.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not really.

Pre-draft the most outspoken Tebow supporters were myself, DBroncos4life, CB40, and... well thats about it. And none of us think Orton's worth a ****.

The biggest Tebow bashers were all OrtonNextElway! types and as usual with all things from Dove Valley, they lack a spine and shift their opinion based on what happened and then claim it's from "Looking at this move closer" or "With the information I read after from..." or "I actually liked this all along, just later".

But who cares? We got a great guy and people are behind it. That's what matters.
I've been bashing on Orton forever. I also bashed on Tebow. My views of the pick (and where the pick was) have not changed. I love the rest of the draft (except picking a WR in the 1st) and hope and pray Tebow proves me wrong. But don't EVER call me an OrtonNext Elway person, because that's you just stroking your own ego. And nothing has been proven that you are right about it being the right move. So you don't have to worry about me coming out and saying "I actually liked this all along" should you be right because I'm now on record that I didn't. I will be more than happy to call you 3 "The Man" if TebowNextElway.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Both Thomas and Decker are not for their blocking.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I doubt there are as many question marks behind Bradford as there are behind Tebow, at least as far as pro scouts are concerned. I don't know about anybody else, but I figured next year would be a great time to address the QB spot. Locker, Luck and Mallett will be there. We'll have a first and two seconds. We could have used that 2nd, 3rd and fourth in this draft to build a very powerful fundamental base, even more so than we did in this draft.

Here's who was still available at those spots:
2 - Kindle, Houston, L. Joseph, Toby Gerhart, J. Cunningham, Cody, Ducasse, G. Tate, Spikes, Angerer

3 - Carrington, Jerry, Gilyard, Wooton, Ford (but I think we got the cream of the third round anyway)

4 - AJ Edds, Geno Atkins, Eric Norwood, Owuso, Schofield

So, you could say that Tebow is worth Toby, Carrington and Edds, or any other combo.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #21
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
Both Thomas and Decker are not for their blocking.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I've been bashing on Orton forever. I also bashed on Tebow. My views of the pick (and where the pick was) have not changed. I love the rest of the draft (except picking a WR in the 1st) and hope and pray Tebow proves me wrong. But don't EVER call me an OrtonNext Elway person, because that's you just stroking your own ego. And nothing has been proven that you are right about it being the right move. So you don't have to worry about me coming out and saying "I actually liked this all along" should you be right because I'm now on record that I didn't. I will be more than happy to call you 3 "The Man" if TebowNextElway.
The Rev's main preoccupation is stroking his own ego.

I would say that most people on this board, like myself, feel that Orton is a dependable QB to have while we are in a transition period to finding a new, franchise QB. Now, McD seems to have made the investment in Tebow. I don't buy it. I think Josh jumped the gun. He should have waited until next year to go after his QB. Orton/Quinn/Stater would have been fine for this season. I don't believe Tebow's game will translate to the pros. Fortunately, the Broncos did so well in the draft, other than Tebow, that even if he doesn't work out, they might get away with it.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I doubt there are as many question marks behind Bradford as there are behind Tebow, at least as far as pro scouts are concerned. I don't know about anybody else, but I figured next year would be a great time to address the QB spot. Locker, Luck and Mallett will be there. We'll have a first and two seconds. We could have used that 2nd, 3rd and fourth in this draft to build a very powerful fundamental base, even more so than we did in this draft.

2 - Kindle, Houston, L. Joseph, Toby Gerhart, J. Cunningham, Cody, Ducasse, G. Tate, Spikes, Angerer

3 - Carrington, Jerry, Gilyard, Wooton, Ford (but I think we got the cream of the third round anyway)

So, you could say that Tebow is worth Toby, Carrington and Edds, or any other combo.
dont forget everson griffen.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-Freak View Post
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
I meant both are "known" for their blocking. My typing skills obviously not the greatest.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

Reality is not all of those players will pan out either, so time will tell.