The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default Only one conclusion possible.....

.......we like our linebackers!!

Only one street free agent I can see so far, plus one 9-year vet from Miami. Not what you'd call a 'position of need....'

I honestly thought this position would be addressed more comprehensively than it has been, but if the Broncos coaches like they guys they have, and feel that the d-line was more to blame for our collapse and running woes last year then fair enough...not complaining but I am surprised.

I believe this also means that we have a lot of faith in Ayers on the other outside spot, which I'm on board with - its wrong to see him as a primary pass rusher, he's more a front-seven all-rounder and I think he'll do a solid job there, particularly against the run.

Just to re-emphasise: this is not a "sky is falling thread" saying that we desperately needed to address the LB position and I'm upset....just saying that I thought we would - the fact that we didn't give it more attention may mean that we're happy with the current crop, which could be good news...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

broncos had planned to address the situation in the draft, however the chuggers jumped in front of the broncos in the 3rd round to take LB Donald Bulter... that was Den's target... ILB is going to be a weak postion on this team unless they can sign someone who gets cut
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What it boils down to is that the SILB position is not all that important, I certainly would not have wanted us spending a first round selection on it anyway with the other areas of the team that needed addressing.

We need a big, physical guy who will get in there and take on blocks and do the dirty work. A stout run defender who will do his job and then get off the field on 3rd down. I have faith that one of Haggan, Ayodele and Larsen will manage that in a competent fashion.

The WILB is where you want someone who is more of an athletic playmaker, and we have DJ there with Woodyard backing him up, that seems fine to me.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

They might have also felt that the upgrades to our DL would translate into better LBer play.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
broncos had planned to address the situation in the draft, however the chuggers jumped in front of the broncos in the 3rd round to take LB Donald Bulter... that was Den's target... ILB is going to be a weak postion on this team unless they can sign someone who gets cut
you literally said something that 100% contradicted what josh mcdaniels said on his interview not less than 48 hours ago.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Well, they have 10 LB's on the roster, seven of them listed as OLB (Haggan one of the OLB's). So yeah, the team is a little thin at ILB going into camp.

EDIT: Akin Ayodele will obviously be an ILB, so that would make 5 ILB's going into camp.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 04-25-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I would expect larsen to get this job. dude is athletic enough to play FB and has the size to man the possition well seems like a smart guy who will do what ever the coaches ask.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Anyone here think McDaniels has seen more of Haggan at ILB than we have?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Well, they have 10 LB's on the roster, seven of them listed as OLB (Haggan one of the OLB's). So yeah, the team is a little thin at ILB going into camp.

EDIT: Akin Ayodele will obviously be an ILB, so that would make 5 ILB's going into camp.
I thought Haggan was slotted to be the starting ILBer opposite DJ.
That's what Champ said in an radio interview
Who knows

I really think Sean Weatherspoon was one of our top 3 guys but went to ATL at #19
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Two years agi Larsen was killing it at LB. I think he is still good to go.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
This is pretty much the issue. We had guys we were targeting but couldn't get to them.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

repeat, donald butler was not the pick that they wanted before chargers jumped in front. maybe someone else was at different points in the draft, but it wasnt him.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Martindale, being a LB coach must be confident that the draft wasn't going to help the squad enough to matter. Assuming he was asked.

Plus there's always good depth being cut but other teams over time.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I never jumped on the "we have huge holes at linebacker" notion

I like Haggan, but I like Spencer better

DJ is solid
Doom is Doom
I think Ayers will be good

we could use some more depth, but our starters should be fine
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
I would expect larsen to get this job. dude is athletic enough to play FB and has the size to man the possition well seems like a smart guy who will do what ever the coaches ask.
Larsen does have the ability to be steady inside, I like him. He gets banged up on ST's, though. Who's gonna take his place on ST's?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Quote:
I thought Haggan was slotted to be the starting ILBer opposite DJ.
Apparently, Festus ( anybody remember Festus Haggan from Gunsmoke?) will get his shot at it.

The backups have to play ST's. Do Woodyard and Haggan play ST's? I'm assuming Larsen may win an ILB slot.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

We still need another pass rusher, but you can't get everything in one offseason. It would have been nice to pick up a guy like Jerry Hughes, but Josh was fixated on Tebow. We'll see how it pans out.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

After we signed Jarvis Green, McD spoke about Haggan fitting in nicely behind him at SILB. Haggan was a the big SILB necessary to play behind the smaller 3-4 end Green. I think we were set with our ILB's going into the draft and that's why they let Davis go. I'm sure they were open to drafting a developmental mike or jack, but I guess the value never matched the need.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I'm sure they would have taken a LB if the board fell a different way, but it's hard to argue with the value of the guys they took on days 2 and 3.

I think they simply had higher values on Decker, Beadles, Walton, Cox, etc than they had on any of the LBs left on the board when those picks came around. You can't argue with that.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I think Butler was in play until the Chefs jumped us. Not real upset about it though, we would have been without either Walton or Decker had we selected Butler, and I like both of those guys a lot.

You also can count on a cut somewhere along the way that may be a good fit for us. Nobody really expected Faneca to be available and yet now he is. Same thing will happen with a LB eventually. Could be a guy like Lance Briggs or Brian Urlacher. Both are paid prett high salaries and neither are really worth their current contracts, but both can still play a role.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I'll bet he's seen at least as much, but we HAVE seen Haggan at MLB in 2008, as a friendly reminder.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

I also think Butler was the pick. McD eluded to the fact a couple backers were off the board when we went to make our pick and no way does Josh tip his hand that the Chargers actually took our guy. I don't think we are happy or set at LB...the rush to sign Ayodele is a telling sign. I really wish we wouldn't have dropped Davis cause we aren't as strong there as we all think...another year of missing big Al I guess.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Haggan was basically an ILB until he came to the Broncos anyway, so him playing there isn't some big leap. I wanted Ayers to play opposite Dumervil so they would have 2 OLB with pass rush skills, so I'm happhy with that.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Haggan was basically an ILB until he came to the Broncos anyway, so him playing there isn't some big leap. I wanted Ayers to play opposite Dumervil so they would have 2 OLB with pass rush skills, so I'm happhy with that.
And he was an ILB here until we moved to the 3-4. Does no one remember him and Larsen splitting time or was everyone so fascinated on Spencer they missed Haggan outplaying him?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'll bet he's seen at least as much, but we HAVE seen Haggan at MLB in 2008, as a friendly reminder.
Haggan's play inside did make him a keeper, but Larsen also had to play ST's, right?

I'm wondering if Larsen is better suited to ILB rather than ST's. Too bad Haggan isn't the beast Larsen is on ST's. Larsen's skills may be wasted on ST's, and the team gets stuck with Haggan at ILB.

This is where I agree with the anti-Tebow crowd. Giving up a 2, 3, 4 for Tebow cost Denver some ST players at worst, and some starters at best. I think Larsen could be a solid ILB, but without the 2, 3, 4 given up for Tebow, Larsen might end up wasting his career on ST's.