The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
MVPlaya

Default Tim Tebow pick from a business/operation perspective

There are obviously a lot of fans that are disappointed with the pick - at the same time there are a lot of fans who are ecstatic about the pick (I'm one of the ecstatic ones). As fans, you obviously have the right to have an opinion on it - however I hope to at least put your minds into a different perspective about the pick so you can at least understand the 25th pick a bit more.

The fans who are always so critical/hating on what the team does if it's not in line of their own beliefs are usually always the same ones that worry about a team saving money/losing money, or anything financially involved with the franchise.

So take a look at the Tebow pick with dollar signs.

First off:

Please understand that McDaniels is not the only person in this war room, Xanders is in there and most like Pat Bowlen is either there or on conference call. And understand that McDaniels and Xanders both make decisions together and probably have to get approved by Bowlen.

Again: McDaniels is not the only person responsible/involved. Same with the Jay Cutler trade - people still always cite that McDaniels traded Cutler when it was Bowlen's ORDER to McDaniels to trade him.

Now: remember what Bowlen said? He wanted to draft a QB. Did he ever say he was satisfied with Quinn? No.

Tebow is probably the biggest money maker in this whole draft. The NFL is probably kicking itself right now for not giving us more prime time games.

Put yourselves in the owners shoes:

Will Tim Tebow bring in more fans? Yes. What does that mean? More money.

If you were to invest in a player - I think most people wouldn't mind investing their money in Tebow given his drive, leadership, spirit, and all the intangibles. Oh and remember when the whole Omane was on that "the team doesn't have HEART?" Yeah, that's not happening with Tebow.

Tebow pretty much has a cult following - his national demand is so damn high that he's going to generate money for the next few years no matter what happens.

Tim Tebow will make sure the seats are filled, Tim Tebow will increase jersey sales (the biggest money maker), and Tim Tebow will increase national exposure.

Financially - Tim Tebow makes all the sense in the world.

You may not agree with the pick because you don't like him as a QB, as a human, whatever - but understand that Broncos won't lose any money with Tim Tebow.

The Broncos fan base is going to increase by 50% (), and the organization will be making money off this pick.

So for the people who are always worried about saving money - how about you think about making money? It'll really put whole new perspective of the trade/pick.

Then again - why should some people care? We just want to win a mother ****in game. Don't worry - that's pretty much all Tebow is used to.

When we open up in Jacksonville for the first game of the season - the Jags organization better be thanking us for that sell out crowd that will be filled with Tebow jerseys.

Last edited by MVPlaya; 04-23-2010 at 04:44 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

It is a business after all.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
MVPlaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
It is a business after all.
Exactly.

Some people forget that owners/coaches have their personal agendas and sometimes it's not even related to winning football games.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

well hell, lets just all support things that "aren't even related to winning football games." sounds like a fantastic idea. what the hell, I think I'll just mail my next paycheck to Pat. it'll make me feel good to know he's making money.

I'm going to pretend this thread never happened.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
MVPlaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
well hell, lets just all support things that "aren't even related to winning football games." sounds like a fantastic idea. what the hell, I think I'll just mail my next paycheck to Pat. it'll make me feel good to know he's making money.

I'm going to pretend this thread never happened.
lol - no one is saying support it - but I'm saying understanding it from a different standpoint so you can actually SEE why they got Tebow - instead of sitting there like a close minded idiot.

We are worried about "saving money" and trading picks to "save money" but when I'm talking about more national exposure it's a thread that shouldn't have happened?

You want to talk about winning games - Tebow stays in the dicussion.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

last time i checked our stadium was full , if it is such a sure thing and we know jacksonville is half empty why the hell didnt they draft him.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
last time i checked our stadium was full , if it is such a sure thing and we know jacksonville is half empty why the hell didnt they draft him.
They've proven they really don't know what the **** they are doing. You really want to compare the two franchises? Really?
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
MVPlaya

Quote:
Really? When I was at the Steelers game on Monday night I thought I was at Heinz field. However that's far from the point... filling seats - the point is hopefully it'll bring more Broncos fans to the games instead of Broncos "fans" selling it to visitor fans.

Tebow will bring revenue to this team - period.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPlaya View Post
how so 100% tickets sold already, the fact that people resell them does not bring one red cent to the broncos, the network deal is done and does not change by how many national games you have.

dont get me wrong, i dont know enough about tebow to pick a side yet, but if the only good thing anybody can say about him is that he will make the team money then i know which side im leaning towards.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
how so 100% tickets sold already, the fact that people resell them does not bring one red cent to the broncos, the network deal is done and does not change by how many national games you have.

dont get me wrong, i dont know enough about tebow to pick a side yet, but if the only good thing anybody can say about him is that he will make the team money then i know which side im leaning towards.
NFL apparel is a huge business. The Broncos just got the biggest "get" in apparel sales.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
MVPlaya

Quote:

Jersey sales accounted for 66.7% of the revenue in the NFL last year.

Think about it.

No one is saying that's the only good thing - as a matter off fact, people have been saying other things are good/better. I'm just putting it into a different perspective.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...Qz7T9JvXA.cspx
Tebow gear in demand

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- It's not Jaguars gear flying off the shelves at local stores, it's Denver Broncos hats and t-shirts.

"The Broncos merchandise is flying off the shelves," said Droop Wilt of Sports Mania.

Sports Mania says Tim Tebow's Broncos jersey is now on order and should arrive next week.

Tebow's jersey was number six on the google trends hot search list Friday.

Sports Mania says right now it has no plans to order Tyson Alualu's Jaguars jerseys.

Jacksonville surprised many by drafting the California defensive lineman with the 10th overall pick.

"I've only had one call for his jersey," said Wilt.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...Qz7T9JvXA.cspx
Tebow gear in demand

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- It's not Jaguars gear flying off the shelves at local stores, it's Denver Broncos hats and t-shirts.

"The Broncos merchandise is flying off the shelves," said Droop Wilt of Sports Mania.

Sports Mania says Tim Tebow's Broncos jersey is now on order and should arrive next week.

Tebow's jersey was number six on the google trends hot search list Friday.

Sports Mania says right now it has no plans to order Tyson Alualu's Jaguars jerseys.

Jacksonville surprised many by drafting the California defensive lineman with the 10th overall pick.

"I've only had one call for his jersey," said Wilt.
This amuses me no end. Any bronco fan should laugh his ass off even if he hates Tebow and think he's the devil incarnate...

On thing's for sure though - thie Tebow thing has momentum. It either going to be a spectacular failure or a spectacular success...no middle ground...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Dang it, I was looking forward to not having to fight to get great seats on Sept 12th.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #15
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Really? When I was at the Steelers game on Monday night I thought I was at Heinz field. However that's far from the point... filling seats - the point is hopefully it'll bring more Broncos fans to the games instead of Broncos "fans" selling it to visitor fans.

Great point -- I watched that game on TV over here with my best football buddy, who is a passionate Steelers fan. He ragged me mercilessly over the fact that it looked like a Steelers home game. Very embarassing, especially for a franchise that prides itself on its home sellouts and its fanbase.

I think the poster (how is one a "guest" poster, anyway?) is completely correct on all points -- regardless of how you feel about Tebow the player, Tebow the money maker and national attention-getter is completely worth it for Pat Bowlen.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
how so 100% tickets sold already, the fact that people resell them does not bring one red cent to the broncos
You're wrong here. Contrary to popular belief, they haven't sold 100% of their regular season tickets in years....if ever. The corporate suites and the luxury seats in the 300 level are not counted when factoring in what determines a "sellout" for tv and league purposes. These never fully sell and are always available right up until game time. This move could certainly help ensure that more of these get sold, which result in HUGE profits for Bowlen.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
You're wrong here. Contrary to popular belief, they haven't sold 100% of their regular season tickets in years....if ever. The corporate suites and the luxury seats in the 300 level are not counted when factoring in what determines a "sellout" for tv and league purposes. These never fully sell and are always available right up until game time. This move could certainly help ensure that more of these get sold, which result in HUGE profits for Bowlen.
this
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

What did the OP do to get tossed? Did I miss something?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #19
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I still say BVP was picked in part to take advantage of CSU fans, knowing they would buy the jersey of some guy was rarely, if ever going to see the field for the Broncos. You still see people wearing BVP jerseys every home game.

Tebow is the same, but on a national level. He also doesn't suck and will actually play for the Broncos.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #20
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:

There were not that many Steelers fans there for the MNF game, for all the talk leading up to the game, I was surprised by how few there really were. The towels made their presence seem bigger than it was.

There was an above average amount of away fans there that night, but it wasn't that much more than normal. Dallas and the Pats both represented far better than the Steelers did this year.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
I think you just answered your own question.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #22
Meck77

Phew! I was worried Bowlen would have to sell the team after several people from the Omane decided to stop supporting the Broncos because of Tebow!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #23
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
They and Buffalo wanted to draft him. They got beat.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Sadly, Mile High is full of Steelers fans when Pittsburgh comes to town, Jets fans when NY comes to town.

More than a dollars difference, I think a polarizing figure like Tebow can energize the fan base a little, and that's been desperately needed in Denver for awhile.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Not necessarily agreeing with this article, just posting for discussion.

Going in first round will hurt Tebow
FoxSportsEd Thompson, Scout.com
»Updated Apr 26, 2010 9:48 AM ET
Point No. 1: I'm not sure that Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels did Tim Tebow or his team any favors by selecting the quarterback in the first round.

While talking with people connected with the NFL, I heard that there was already some resentment brewing in NFL locker rooms regarding "Tebow-mania" that would make it a bit tougher for the former Florida Gators quarterback to gain acceptance from his new teammates -- no matter where he ended up playing. And while it's often a challenge for even the typical NFL rookie to gain the acceptance of some NFL veterans, imagine the disdain that some of the Broncos players will likely have for the distractions and media circus that Tebow's charismatic presence causes every time he appears in public.

To make matters worse, Denver's going to have to pony up some big-time bucks for the spirited quarterback since they picked him in the first round -- even though it may take two to three years (at least) before he's ready to be an NFL starter.

So picture this. The season progresses and Broncos veterans are banging heads with opponents, getting muddy and bloodied in the process. Do you think they might become increasingly disgruntled when they glance over at the Golden Boy in the baseball cap and clean uniform on the sidelines whose paycheck has more zeroes on the end of it than the ones that they're cashing? And even though starting quarterback Kyle Orton is playing under a one-year, $2.6 million dollar deal this year, he'll likely feel like he got the team's loose change from under the sofa cushion after he sees the first-round, multi-year deal that Tebow receives.

Then there's Brady Quinn, who undoubtedly believed that he would have a legitimate shot at becoming the Broncos' starter by next year when Orton's contract expired. After finally making a clean escape from Cleveland to what appeared to be greener pastures in Denver, Quinn may now be looking at his new situation with a certain level of incredulity and disgust, despite what he may say publicly. And that's not going to be good for the team's chemistry either.

"Now we have a deep group of quarterbacks and we expect the competition to be incredible," McDaniels told the media after the Tebow selection was made.

The Broncos head coach also made it clear that he believes Tebow can, at minimum, be a role player during his rookie season.

"There's no mystery about the Wildcat becoming more in vogue, and having a player who may be able to both run and pass the ball gives you another option," he said. "I won't deny that he doesn't give you an opportunity to create some un-game-planned production -- similar to Ben Roethlisberger or a Donovan McNabb or someone like that -- where you draw the play up there on the board and all of a sudden it doesn't necessarily look as pretty as I thought it would, but then he makes it work some other way. There is an element to his game like that."

While I admire the bold direction that McDaniels has taken with his team, clearing out attitude problems and replacing them with hard-working, talented players, he'll have to be careful that his fascination with Tebow doesn't create even more discord in his locker room than the first-round slotting of the quarterback may have already done.

As for Tebow, it's unlikely that he'll let any peripheral drama distract him from trying to prove to his critics that he can play quarterback in the NFL.

"I'm a very self-motivated person, but a little fuel on the fire never hurt," he said. "I love a challenge and I love it when someone tells me that I can't, because it just pushes me that much more to accomplish that goal."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...good-for-tebow
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote