The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default Broncos will regret falling for Tebow's good-guy reputation

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...verlist_footer

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Every year, there is a team that puts on a clown suit and makes a fool of itself in the NFL Draft. Often, it's the Raiders. This year, it was the Denver Broncos, who were bamboozled by the man with the straight smile and crooked delivery.

Tim Tebow is a nice young man. Every father should want their daughter to marry him but a general manager should know better. A team should know better. The Broncos demonstrated they know little about the draft by picking Tebow with the 25th pick overall. The ... 25th ... pick.

It was still difficult to believe even as the crowd at Radio City laughed and made fun of the Broncos after Tebow's name was called.

The league is laughing at Denver right now. Other teams are guffawing and mocking them and making Broncos jokes. The countdown until Josh McDaniels gets his ass canned has officially started. Denver wasted a valuable first-round pick on a player who will do nothing for years unless they move Tebow to fullback or make him a missionary and have him snip foreskins.

Somewhere, John Elway weeps.

This was, indeed, one of the strangest drafts for quarterbacks ever. This was my 15th draft and I've never seen such quarterback weirdness.

Tebow, the least NFL ready of the big names, goes before Jimmy Clausen, the most NFL ready. Clausen is in the middle of a Brady Quinn freefall and could go in the second round to Minnesota on Friday.

"Only one team has to like you," Tebow said. "This time it was a great coach in coach McDaniels. I am so blessed to go there."

The juxtaposition is striking. The current positioning of the two players says a great deal about what the NFL thinks of Clausen. It's also a statement on how Tebow and his management team pulled a great snow job on the Broncos by highlighting his alleged revamped throwing motion.

It's easy to understand what happened here. The perception of Tebow as a good guy and seller of tickets and jerseys is opposite that of Clausen, who is seen by the league as a cocky jerk.

It was almost conspiratorial what happened to these two. Teams propped up Tebow because they liked him personally while simultaneously tearing down Clausen because they thought he was arrogant. One NFC scout told me on Thursday night: "Jimmy Clausen's smirk finally caught up with him."

The perception among the NFL, clearly, is twofold. Clausen is talented but Clausen is a jerk and that latter description apparently matters more to NFL teams. How else do you explain Tebow going before him and Clausen falling like a brick?

Is this fair? Maybe not. Is this hypocritical for the league to dislike Clausen while allowing others with real troubled pasts to go unscathed? Um, hell yeah. It's the NFL. Hypocrisy runs through the league's blood like steroids through a German sprinter. The league, on the first day, drafted a player who allegedly failed two drug tests.

Cockiness in a quarterback is a desired trait but the line from cockiness to jackass-ness is a thin one and easily crossed. (Look at me, I cross it hourly.) Apparently, NFL personnel men have some secret formula for what percentage cockiness/jackass-ness a quarterback should possess and Clausen didn't pass that test.

This is what some will say. The reason Clausen fell is because he wasn't as talented as teams and the media projected. That's simply false. Many teams believe Clausen is extremely gifted and arguably the most NFL-ready of all the college throwers. Let's not revise history. Clausen is good, worthy of a higher selection, and most in the league believe this as well. Some teams just don't like him personally.

Clausen has top 15 talent and Tebow fourth- or fifth-round ability. If you can't see that, turn in your personnel badge immediately. No more mock drafts for you.

Clausen isn't without blame. ESPN analyst Jon Gruden's sit-down film study with Clausen was good for Gruden but bad for Clausen. In one scene, Clausen appears to throw one of his receivers under a bus. To some teams it was further proof that Clausen wasn't a great guy.

Conversely, Tebow benefited from some of the more worshipful treatment any college prospect has ever received, both from the media and NFL apologists.

Tebow will charm Denver because he's a genuinely good person but he's not an NFL quarterback.

You know it's a really strange draft when the Raiders have a better draft day than the Broncos.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The thing that makes me like Tebow is how much people hate him for shamelessly having religion.

That said, having a quick release would be a nice thing to shamelessly have too.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The thing that makes me like Tebow is how much people hate him for shamelessly having religion.

That said, having a quick release would be a nice thing to shamelessly have too.
KC fans What do they know about NFL QB!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Honestly, I don't see how people who NEVER post anything positive about the Broncos can remain a Mane member. If Booby had anything positive to say even just a few times that would be news to me. All this dbag does is come in here to post negative crap anytime he can. I hope the admins send him a nice little msg saying look troll boy, we don't allow members here who's sole purpose is to bash on the Broncos. It's quite pathetic to be honest.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
KC fans What do they know about NFL QB!
Your coach wanted our ****ty QB last year...and he just drafted Tim Tebow....

So...yeah, sucks to be you.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly, I don't see how people who NEVER post anything positive about the Broncos can remain a Mane member. If Booby had anything positive to say even just a few times that would be news to me. All this dbag does is come in here to post negative crap anytime he can. I hope the admins send him a nice little msg saying look troll boy, we don't allow members here who's sole purpose is to bash on the Broncos. It's quite pathetic to be honest.
I love the Broncos.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=87535
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

Go away fly
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

"Shamelessly having religion" roughly equals "Pharisee" to a lot of people..... Jesus Christ was not shy in his condemnation of "Pharisees" (those who made a big show of their faith, but didn't necessarily "walk the walk).
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

63 million reasons why you fail.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
63 million reasons why you fail.
Booby is so beyond fail, there needs to be a new word for it.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #11
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

You can keep bringing up Matt Cassel....and I can keep bringing up Tim Tebow...let's see who wins.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
You can keep bringing up Matt Cassel....and I can keep bringing up Tim Tebow...let's see who wins.
lol my money is on Tim Tebow when a NFL game is on the line. Though if we are saying which QB makes more money you win.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I'm one of the harshest critics of McDaniels. After he dismantled this team, screwed up left and right, I now believe the drafting of Tebow has been his best move so far.
Guys, you've got to have a QB.
Clausen would've been a good pick also, but Tebow brings more to the plate in terms of mobility both in scramble and running the ball.
all those things translate into moving the chains and scoring points...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Booby is so beyond fail, there needs to be a new word for it.
Munsoned it?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #15
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

The writer of that article is 100% class. He's *almost* as worthless as a journalist as you, Bobo.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #16
extralife
Ring of Famer

What is with these articles? I mean, I largely agree with their points, but this kind of **** is unprofessional at best, idiotic and myopic at worst. This reads like a bad forum post. I'm embarrassed to have read this thing.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Bob.....if Clausen has Top 15 talent as the article suggests, why is it that he's still there?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #18
extralife
Ring of Famer

I do believe the entire article is about why he is still there (when it isn't busy trying to pick a fight).
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 AM   #19
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I feel good vibes about this pick. I felt real happy and optimistic about the future.
About time!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #20
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Bob.....if Clausen has Top 15 talent as the article suggests, why is it that he's still there?
Because the NFL has gone too far. The character over talent revolution is out of control. Five years ago NO ONE would have picked Tebow that high.

The media has completely sabotaged Clausen while building up Tebow. ESPN went through a big production of going out onto a football field and showing us all how the awesome Tebow had awesomely corrected his throwing motion and footwork.

Meanwhile Clausen said his receiver ran the wrong route and suddenly he's a huge douchebag?

The only thing that worries me about Tebow is the league trying to prop him up and manufacture a superstar. It would be great pub for the NFL. I don't even want to think about what playing the Broncos would be like if the refs started giving them a bunch of calls because Tebow is the quarterback...it would be the beginning of a slippery slope where the NFL devolves into an NBA-like gargoyle of a sports league where the refs promote the superstars.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm sure things will cool off when we land Clausen with our 3rd round pick. I'm sure his b**** ass will still be on the board then because he sucks. We will get good value for a crap ass player that way
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Because the NFL has gone too far. The character over talent revolution is out of control. Five years ago NO ONE would have picked Tebow that high.

The media has completely sabotaged Clausen while building up Tebow. ESPN went through a big production of going out onto a football field and showing us all how the awesome Tebow had awesomely corrected his throwing motion and footwork.

Meanwhile Clausen said his receiver ran the wrong route and suddenly he's a huge douchebag?

The only thing that worries me about Tebow is the league trying to prop him up and manufacture a superstar. It would be great pub for the NFL. I don't even want to think about what playing the Broncos would be like if the refs started giving them a bunch of calls because Tebow is the quarterback...it would be the beginning of a slippery slope where the NFL devolves into an NBA-like gargoyle of a sports league where the refs promote the superstars.
So the Jags wouldn't have picked Matt Jones or the Titans wouldn't have picked Vince Young because of ability in the first round?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #23
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Matt Jones and Vince Young were picked high because they were the anti-Tebow...brimming with talent...you couldn't have made a more horrible comparison.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 AM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Matt Jones and Vince Young were picked high because they were the anti-Tebow...brimming with talent...you couldn't have made a more horrible comparison.
Well thank god I got into a debate with someone that doesn't watch college football. Matt Jones used the combine to get drafted in the first round and Young used the NC game to get drafted in the first round. If you look at their college careers you would see that they don't compare to Tebow.

You do good work for a ruh tard though
Old 04-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #25
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

I just said they don't compare to Tebow, you moron. They were physical freaks of nature, that's why they got drafted in the 1st.

Tebow got drafted in the first because he's a nice young man.