The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you feel the Broncos drafted on day one?
5 - Excellent 40 16.95%
4 70 29.66%
3 62 26.27%
2 35 14.83%
1 - Awful 29 12.29%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Draft Day One Approval Rating

Vote
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I'll give it a 4 pending the outcome of the rest of the draft

The thing we need to understand is this...
WR and QB were positions of need.
If you're mad we didn't draft Pouncey, Morgan or Iupati, so am I.
But who do you blame?
McDaniels of course. WR and QB were not positions of need before he came to Denver to be the head coach, but guess what? they're now.
So, we needed to address those positions.
Two good picks. Contrary to what the rest of the world think, Tebow is franchise QB material. I'm extremely happy we've got him.
To win in this league, you've got to have a marquee QB, and Tebow is IT...

Last edited by strafen; 04-22-2010 at 11:32 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I still feel as though I'm wandering through an "X Files" episode. Unable to quantify it yet.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Btw, we couldn't have drafted Pouncey or Iupati, they both got taken off the board.

We would have had to throw some picks to move up and get those guys.

I think, as far as wheeling and dealing, we did a damn fine job.

I am a Tebow fan, and I also really liked Thomas, so I'm fine with that.

I also believe the Broncos Organization is better at diagnosing players than we are, and we picked Thomas for a reason.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

We got a Wr that can't run routes and a QB that can't throw. Tebow saved this draft/
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

it really comes down to what happens tomorrow.

I loved the wheelin and dealin but how are we better off than when shanny was here essentially we replaced a QB WR combo with a QB WR combo.

If he made either Orton or Quinn his franchise QB and solidified the team else where I'd probably be happier atm.

But some good picks in rds 2 & 3 and we'll be looking good again.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Btw, we couldn't have drafted Pouncey or Iupati, they both got taken off the board.

We would have had to throw some picks to move up and get those guys.

I think, as far as wheeling and dealing, we did a damn fine job.

I am a Tebow fan, and I also really liked Thomas, so I'm fine with that.

I also believe the Broncos Organization is better at diagnosing players than we are, and we picked Thomas for a reason.
Yes we could've.
They were there at 11th had we stayed put...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I still feel as though I'm wandering through an "X Files" episode. Unable to quantify it yet.
This.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

-Ill give it a 3. I just believe none of the picks make our team better than last year, actually I still think we are worse on the O side.
-I liked the trade downs
-Hated the first trade up.
-Undecided on the 2nd trade up.If we gave up our 4th and did not swap it then I lean more to disliking it.
-I am not a fan of drafting wrs and cbs in the first round.
-Like the Tebow pick, was just hoping we could get him a little later but I guess a couple teams were looking at him.

Last edited by broncolife; 04-22-2010 at 11:43 PM..
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Steve Young got a kick out of it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Yes we could've.
They were there at 11th had we stayed put...
I was under the impression that every single person wanted us to trade back. You were not on that boat, or is this 20/20 hindsight?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Williams
Pro Bowler

Like the maneuvering, love the trades down, like the Thomas pick, love the Tebow pick. Could have been better (was hoping for Pouncey or Iupati @ 24... if still available) but I'm still in the 5 camp. Outstanding day one.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
We got a Wr that can't run routes and a QB that can't throw. Tebow saved this draft/
Don't be such a dbag. He wasn't asked to run alot of "routes" on the so called route tree, for the offense that he played in. I'm sure he will be able to run routes just fine. So I understand your concern that he didn't run them and wasn't asked to run many of them in college but not asking him to run many and not being able to are two very different things.

The Tbow thing vexed me. I loved how we moved down to acquire all those extra picks but then we gave up 3 of them to move back up to get Tbow. Who knows if this was a good move or not, only time will tell. I obviously don't think he's ready to start at QB for this team but I can tell you that our "Wildhorses" package will have a lot more extra umph to it. I can see Tbow contributing in that package right away, and it being taken to a new level. Now teams have to honor the pass out of that package also and can't stack the run.

This thread is a bit of an odd one since you can't really rate your draft for a few years but it's fun to see what fans think. If we can still land some quality linemen in the later rounds, it should be fine.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Would have liked to address the interior OL, but am overall pretty happy with Thomas and Tebow. I am starting to get worried about the OL though.

Last edited by BMarsh615; 04-22-2010 at 11:56 PM..
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Would have like to address the interior OL, but am overall pretty happy with Thomas and Tebow. I am starting to get worried about the OL though.
I'm not. There are a ton of solid line guys to be had. And a few of the late 1st round picks there were some lagit concerns on, to be take that high. I guess Iupati is a holding machine is what alot of the anylists thought.

I still like the idea of drafting Ciron Black out of LSU in the 3rd. He played tackle but projects to the NFL as one bad ass guard. And the versatility he has is that if Harris goes down again, he can move to right tackle no problems.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
Williams
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Would have like to address the interior OL, but am overall pretty happy with Thomas and Tebow. I am starting to get worried about the OL though.
Jerry or Ducasse @ 45 and Walton or Tennant in the 3rd and we're golden.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
I was under the impression that every single person wanted us to trade back. You were not on that boat, or is this 20/20 hindsight?
No it isn't.
I wasn't expecting us to trade back at all.
In fact, had not the Raiders nabbed Mcclain, we would've stayed put at 11th and grab him.
Once the Raiders pooped the party, the Broncos felt they could do some wheeling and dealing. That's what dictated trading back, and was perhaps a part of a contigency plan...
"Wanting us to trade back" got nothing to do with reality or in any way imply that that's what the Broncos would do, so...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I hate to be pessimistic, but I was expecting to get some serious help out of this draft on both sides of our lines. I expected an interior lineman, and a defender. I am completely jealous of San Francisco's draft, though I'd rather have Dan Williams than Anthony Davis. To come out of day one with a WR and a QB - I just have a hard time taking Josh seriously at this point. We've done nothing to improve our team. We've made a lateral move at best so far - not to mention we've further polarized the fanbase. It makes a difference on Sundays having fans that believe in what you are doing.

I'm hoping for a better day two that will take the edge off this. I hate to be negative, but I can only be honest. This is how I feel about our first day.

Last edited by Taco John; 04-22-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #19
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I hate to be pessimistic, but I was expecting to get some serious help out of this draft on both sides of our lines. I expected an interior lineman, and a defender. I am completely jealous of San Francisco's draft, though I'd rather have Dan Williams than Anthony Davis. To come out of day one with a WR and a QB - I just have a hard time taking Josh seriously at this point. We've done nothing to improve our team. We've made a lateral move at best so far - not to mention we've further polarized the fanbase. It makes a difference on Sundays having fans that believe in what you are doing.

I'm hoping for a better day two that will take the edge off this. I hate to be negative, but I can only be honest. This is how I feel about our first day.
It is like robbing Paul to pay Pete...
We needed a bona-fide QB and an impact WR, but we also needed a center, LB, OL, and LB's
We have a short-term answer to our defense via the aging FA's we signed, and that's where I would have to agree with you. We needed to draft defense and fortify our OL.
The problem is, there's only one chance to get a good center tomorrow. We must get one of the remaining top-3 centers in the draft; JD Walton, Matt Tennant or Olsen from ND.
After that, there's perhaps a good DE and/or a LB we could draft of immediate impact potential if we draft wisely, otherwise, it's a crapshoot once we get out of the 3rd round...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #20
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:

You are not alone TJ...we were going so good and had draft by the tail.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
ton80
Seasoned Veteran

Very cagey draft by McDaniels.

We picked up a 4th to move back two spots and gave up a 4th to move up two spots. Thats a wash.

We accumulate two thirds. We give up a 3rd and a 4th. Edge to Broncos.

We trade the 11th pick and a 2nd rounder two 1st rounders in the 20's. Surely the Broncos organization believes that they replaced their #1 receiver and franchise QB. Huge edge for Broncos. (We'll find out though)

If this plan works out, this draft will go down as one for the ages.
ton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
You are not alone TJ...we were going so good and had draft by the tail.
And we did last year. In fact, had not us given our 14th pick for this year to Seattle for Alphonso Smith, we would've been in great shape to build a solid foundation for the future.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #23
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

I fully expect everyone to be back on board when Tebow succeeds.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #24
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
I fully expect everyone to be back on board when Tebow succeeds.
With Tebow projected to be ready to start at Qb in 3-4 years, then I guess everyone can be expected to be back "on board" circa 2013...

My bad... that's IF he "succeeds"......
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #25
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

I am so tired of having the OL and DL's passed on for project players.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote