The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default What seems to be overlooked in the Tebow pick

I keep going back to this line in McDaniels' pre-draft presser:

""No question. You look at the tape, and the only thing that you can say about the tape that isn't flattering or very impressive is that he dips the ball a hair. He has already fixed that. I think that's something that you can fix through repetition. He's already done it. He proved that at his pro day. Everything else that you're watching on film is accurate, tough, smart, good leader, versatile, can move out of the pocket, can move in the pocket, can run with the ball. This guy scored... What is he, the third-leading passer all-time and the leading scorer in rushing touchdowns over Herschel (Walker)? There are so many things that you can say about the kid. Then, to top that all off, he's every bit the person that you read about before you got the chance to meet him. He's very enthusiastic, wants to work hard, smart, bright, one of the smarter players I've ever been around in terms of coming out of college."

I see McDaniels using Tebow as a change of pace, Wildcat player in the middle of the field, and then more extensively near the goal line. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos run the usual New England dink-and-dunk between the twenties, and then incorporate Tebow more in the red zone.

This is one area where the team had problems last season in finding ways of getting into the end zone inside the 20. With that in mind, you don't draft a player with his obvious scoring ability (especially running), and keep him on the bench.

Here's a question I'm curious about: how many short yardage TDs (rushing and passing) does Tebow need to score next season in order to justify the pick?
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

The only thing that justifies the pick is Tebow becoming a franchise quarterback.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I remember people being very hyperbolic when Vince Young came in the league too. Man! He was going to change everything! He's was amazing!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
The only thing that justifies the pick is Tebow becoming a franchise quarterback.
So what will justify the Tyson Jackson pick?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Tebow isn't going to be some beast by by the goal line.

He's 236 pounds and runs a 4.7.

NFL linebackers are going to laugh at him.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Well now that bob has broken it down for us..END THREAD
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
So what will justify the Tyson Jackson pick?
Nothing. Terrible pick. But at least he can play his position.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

And here's what McDaniels said in his presser tonight in response to the question of whether Tebow fits the Broncos' system. Sounds like he's leaning towards using Tebow in a number of different ways:

"We stole a lot of (University of Florida's) plays maybe three or four years ago. They run a lot of different things. They ask their quarterback to do a lot. No college quarterback - or very few I should say - have run or done what we're going to do, or what other NFL teams do necessarily, because the game has spread out so much. There are so many different things going on right now in the college football game that maybe you don't see in the professional football league. What Tim has been asked to do - mentally, there is a lot of burden on him - same thing here. What he's been asked to do in terms of reading defenses and progressions and those types of things is similar to what he'll have to do in the National Football League. He's been well coached - I have a great deal of respect for (University of Florida Head) Coach (Urban) Meyer. I have a good relationship with (Meyer), known him for a long time and understand what (Tebow) has had to do and what he's had to learn. I don't really look at it and say, ‘His system doesn't fit our system.' No quarterback's does. I'm not really worried too much about it, I just know what he's been asked to do and what he's been able to accomplish in that system there. I won't deny that he doesn't give you an opportunity to create some un-gameplanned production, similar to (Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback) Ben Roethlisberger, or a (Washington Redskins quarterback) Donovan McNabb or someone like that where you draw the play up there on the board and all of the sudden it doesn't necessarily look as pretty as I thought it would but then he makes it work some other way - there is an element to his game like that."
Old 04-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

A reach for Tebow, I'd rather had drafted McCoy, we gave up too much for him...We needed a NT, Dan williams right there..arrgghhh
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

I didnt realize a 2 yard plunge into the endzone required a fast 40 time. We've all watched Tebow play a lot in college and all understand that, for some reason, some NFL backs have a knack for getting in the endzone. Marcus Allen was amazing at it and wasnt all that big. Tebow has that talent and he will improve the broncos offense near the goal line, which has been horrible, well, for years.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

And another quote from McDaniels, on what Tebow's role might be next season:

"On how quickly Tebow can be a starting quarterback in the NFL and what his immediate role may be

"The answer of the starter and all that is going to be determined by what they do. They're all going to learn the same things, be given the same opportunity. Our starting quarterback is Kyle Orton. If somebody performs better than Kyle Orton then that's going to have to change but right now it hasn't and we'll see what happens as we move forward. Tim is a player who is capable of doing different things. He could be a gameplan-type thing if that's what we determine is best early in his career. He's done a lot of things in his career, running the football and doing different things in terms of handling the football. He's a guy that gives you the opportunity to create some packages like that and if you want to use that then you can get creative. There's no mystery about the Wildcat (offense) becoming more in vogue and having a player who may be able to do both run and pass the ball gives you another option."
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Tebow is going to get lit the **** up if they try to use him like that.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Nothing. Terrible pick. But at least he can play his position.
He... Can?

Tebow is six feet three and 245 pounds, all thick polygons and smooth flat planes and inescapable corn-fed handsomeness.

What is Jackson?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Damn! McD isn't even mentioning Brady Quinn. Why did he even trade for him? Maybe he's going to trade him tomorrow? Buffalo? Vikes?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBronco View Post
And another quote from McDaniels, on what Tebow's role might be next season:

"On how quickly Tebow can be a starting quarterback in the NFL and what his immediate role may be

"The answer of the starter and all that is going to be determined by what they do. They're all going to learn the same things, be given the same opportunity. Our starting quarterback is Kyle Orton. If somebody performs better than Kyle Orton then that's going to have to change but right now it hasn't and we'll see what happens as we move forward. Tim is a player who is capable of doing different things. He could be a gameplan-type thing if that's what we determine is best early in his career. He's done a lot of things in his career, running the football and doing different things in terms of handling the football. He's a guy that gives you the opportunity to create some packages like that and if you want to use that then you can get creative. There's no mystery about the Wildcat (offense) becoming more in vogue and having a player who may be able to do both run and pass the ball gives you another option."

That's kind of the whole point about why people think this is a bad pick. You don't pick a guy you're going to use in gimmicky packages in the first round. You pick a guy who can play the position.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
He... Can?

Tebow is six feet three and 245 pounds, all thick polygons and smooth flat planes and inescapable corn-fed handsomeness.

What is Jackson?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
That's kind of the whole point about why people think this is a bad pick. You don't pick a guy you're going to use in gimmicky packages in the first round. You pick a guy who can play the position.
Thats just for next year. I'll safely assume McD thinks he'll be the starter at some point in the next 3 years. Suddenly Tebow doesnt get time to learn the position? I'm not saying he'll be a success, but you are misinterpreting him if thats what you got from his comment
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #18
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:

Pouncey might be another reason.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Tebow is going to get lit the **** up if they try to use him like that.
Really? I recall Castle getting lit the **** up just playing QB. Its footbal you dumb redneck. This isnt flag football.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

You pick a player at this position that is going to be an impact player. Oh he will see some impact, right in his face is where he will see the impact.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #21
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Thats just for next year. I'll safely assume McD thinks he'll be the starter at some point in the next 3 years. Suddenly Tebow doesnt get time to learn the position? I'm not saying he'll be a success, but you are misinterpreting him if thats what you got from his comment
So we are throwing away 3 years ?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #22
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
This isnt flag football.
Hence why drafting Tebow was a really dumb ****ing move by McKid.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #23
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Damn! McD isn't even mentioning Brady Quinn. Why did he even trade for him? Maybe he's going to trade him tomorrow? Buffalo? Vikes?
ha, at this point would it really surprise you?

"This just in, McDaniels trades.....himself for a conditional pick next year"
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #24
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

add in most QB's take 4 years to get were they win SB's so you think McD gets 7 years right ?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
So we are throwing away 3 years ?
How is being patient with one pick "throwing away three years" Ask Charger fans if they are ok with Philip Rivers. Ask Titans fans if they were ok with McNair. He's more of a project, so you should give him some time. Unlike Rivers and McNair, Tebow is useful in gadget and goal line situations right away.