The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default 4-22 AM Broncos Draft Update from Ed Werder

FYI, ESPN is stationing Werder in Denver and not Dallas for the draft.

* Broncos have not been afraid to be creative and make the bold move. After talking with McDaniels in his office yesterday, Werder expects that trend to continue.

* Broncos could use any combination of the 6 picks they have in rounds 1 and 2 over the next two years in today's 1st round. Werder expects the Broncos to be very aggressive.

* The Broncos would like to move down from #11. They've had conversations with the Giants, Packers and Eagles as those teams have targeted players.

* The Broncos have a number of players they like below the 11th spot which is expensive as it comes with a $30 million contract, $18 of which is guaranteed.

* If the Broncos move back, Werder expects them to try and re-enter the bottom of the 1st round if one of their targets is still available.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Why would the broncos need to move back into the first round after trading down? Is Werder suggesting we'll target two players at the end of the first round?
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Werder is still alive?

Wow.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Thats how I read it.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

If they can move back and trade back in, getting two firsts, and end up with mcclain pouncey or pouncey iupati that'd be amazing
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Why would the broncos need to move back into the first round after trading down? Is Werder suggesting we'll target two players at the end of the first round?
I think he is talking about what we would take for the pick. As in, if we give away our first, it would be for a lower first plus more rather than getting out of the first round entirely.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
I think he's saying the broncos are willing to trade out of the 1st round
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I can see McD and company trading up it's their mo. I just wish we use all our picks.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

.....................and then waste another first rounder to move back into the 1st
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I could see them trading down with the Iggles and then using one of their seconds, plus next year's Dolphin's second to trade back up.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I still think Denver is working on the cheap with a Clippers type model.

It’s not lost on me that Pat Bowlen is hurting for money, PSL’s and luxury ticket sales are down in Denver and we’ve managed to trade away a high 1st round pick this year (Seattle pick, guaranteed money), contemplating trading back from our higher 1st this year (more guaranteed money), have offed Mike Shanahan (7 million + guaranteed per year), and managed to trade our top two players in Jay Cutler/Brandon Marshall, who both got top10 money for their positions in new places.

If we end up taking an OLB pass rusher in round 1 or 2, I’m pretty certain that Elvis Dumervil will be gone in the next year as he’s on a RFA contract right now. Mark my words.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
I think he's saying the broncos are willing to trade out of the 1st round
I can see the logic in trading down, but will it suck to hear them announce that tonight and we don't get any action until tomorrow. All dressed up and no place to go.....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I can see the logic in trading down, but will it suck to hear them announce that tonight and we don't get any action until tomorrow. All dressed up and no place to go.....
blame the new nfl format...so far I hate it

my son has band concert tonight so I'll get home in time to watch the avs and thats about it.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
This.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:

Itís not lost on me that Pat Bowlen is hurting for money, PSLís and luxury ticket sales are down in Denver and weíve managed to trade away a high 1st round pick this year (Seattle pick, guaranteed money), contemplating trading back from our higher 1st this year (more guaranteed money), have offed Mike Shanahan (7 million + guaranteed per year), and managed to trade our top two players in Jay Cutler/Brandon Marshall, who both got top10 money for their positions in new places.

If we end up taking an OLB pass rusher in round 1 or 2, Iím pretty certain that Elvis Dumervil will be gone in the next year as heís on a RFA contract right now. Mark my words.
I don't know about the Broncos, but it's pretty obvious that your shrink is working on the cheap.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
Popps
It's so easy

The Broncos have a number of players they like below the 11th spot which is expensive as it comes with a $30 million contract, $18 of which is guaranteed.

Holy ****.

Trade the **** out of there. No one at #11 is worth that risk this year.

Again, you trade down... and up... and get the two premiere interior OL prospects.

Put a real structure in place before you start overspending on skill position guys. Pittsburgh has won a couple of SBs lately without having to break the bank.

We're attempting to build the core of the team properly... something we haven't done in ages.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
The Broncos have a number of players they like below the 11th spot which is expensive as it comes with a $30 million contract, $18 of which is guaranteed.

Holy ****.

Trade the **** out of there. No one at #11 is worth that risk this year.

Again, you trade down... and up... and get the two premiere interior OL prospects.

Put a real structure in place before you start overspending on skill position guys. Pittsburgh has won a couple of SBs lately without having to break the bank.

We're attempting to build the core of the team properly... something we haven't done in ages.
Or without having anything that could be called a good O-Line, it must be said.

I'm not trying to say improving the line wouldn't be a good idea, because obviously we saw last year that it needs work.

I just worry that people are getting a bit of tunnel vision and thinking that if we don't land Pouncey or Iupati then this draft will have been a disappointment. I know it was painful watching our interior O-Line at times last year, but we need to draft with more of a long-term view of things rather than going in with a "Damn our center and left guard sucked last year, let's do everything we can to get the best prospects at each spot" approach.

There should be plenty of players available on Day 2 that could provide long term answers at center or guard if we don't get either of the marquee names. We have plenty of other spots on our roster that could use upgrades, not just O-Line, and I hope we find the best player we can for our team regardless of position.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

more like we want to trade down for pouncey and then back up for tebow.

If pounce is gone look for tebow then cody, then benn.....unless spoon, graham, odrick, bryant are somehow miraculasly there.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
Or without having anything that could be called a good O-Line, it must be said.

I'm not trying to say improving the line wouldn't be a good idea, because obviously we saw last year that it needs work.

I just worry that people are getting a bit of tunnel vision and thinking that if we don't land Pouncey or Iupati then this draft will have been a disappointment. I know it was painful watching our interior O-Line at times last year, but we need to draft with more of a long-term view of things rather than going in with a "Damn our center and left guard sucked last year, let's do everything we can to get the best prospects at each spot" approach.

There should be plenty of players available on Day 2 that could provide long term answers at center or guard if we don't get either of the marquee names. We have plenty of other spots on our roster that could use upgrades, not just O-Line, and I hope we find the best player we can for our team regardless of position.
Exactly I agree 100%
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Jerry Curl
Seasoned Veteran

ESPN let's Ed Werder out of Dallas?
Jerry Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
diehardbroncosfan
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Itís not lost on me that Pat Bowlen is hurting for money, PSLís and luxury ticket sales are down in Denver and weíve managed to trade away a high 1st round pick this year (Seattle pick, guaranteed money), contemplating trading back from our higher 1st this year (more guaranteed money), have offed Mike Shanahan (7 million + guaranteed per year), and managed to trade our top two players in Jay Cutler/Brandon Marshall, who both got top10 money for their positions in new places.

If we end up taking an OLB pass rusher in round 1 or 2, Iím pretty certain that Elvis Dumervil will be gone in the next year as heís on a RFA contract right now. Mark my words.
I just don't see it. I know we've traded away three players that have wanted more money, but I've got to believe that attitude/ off the field issues played at least a part of those decisions. Also, if Bowlen really were hurting for money, he wouldn't have fired Shanahan and would have let him finish out his contract instead of paying another head coaches salary on top of his.
diehardbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #22
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I could see them trading down with the Iggles and then using one of their seconds, plus next year's Dolphin's second to trade back up.
It's almost even money we will use that 2011 2nd rd pick this year some how.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #23
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I like the value we get at 11. Knowshon and Clady in years past.

But I agree with bpc's point of view. The Broncos are clearly trading away talent for money.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbroncosfan View Post
Also, if Bowlen really were hurting for money, he wouldn't have fired Shanahan and would have let him finish out his contract instead of paying another head coaches salary on top of his.
Because of the way his contract is structured in Washington, he's only paying half of what Mike was owed originally, which means that amount + what he's paying McD is actually LESS than the $7 mil he would've had to pay Shanny this year alone.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
diehardbroncosfan
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Because of the way his contract is structured in Washington, he's only paying half of what Mike was owed originally, which means that amount + what he's paying McD is actually LESS than the $7 mil he would've had to pay Shanny this year alone.
While that's interesting and a good point, at the time Bowlen fired Shanahan, it was no guarantee he was going to come back into coaching anytime soon, so it at the very least he was prepared to pay two head coaches salaries at once.
diehardbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote