The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default Broncos looking to trade up?

Highly doubt this happens, but you never know.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/...82485/21092865

Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert publicly announced that his team had held conversations with the St. Louis Rams about obtaining the No. 1 overall pick.

It will be interesting to see if the Denver Broncos are as forthcoming with their internal conversations.

I am told that some of the reason that Denver has been asking for picks rather than veteran players in return for Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler is that the club is considering making a significant proposal to the Rams for the first overall pick.

The Broncos feature Kyle Orton as their starting quarterback and recently acquired Brady Quinn, but head coach Josh McDaniels is thought to be very high on Sam Bradford and could see Orton as a stopgap starter until Bradford is ready to take over.

The Broncos own four picks within the draft's top 80 selections, including the 11th overall. Josh McDaniiels has shown a willingness to trade future picks in the past. He traded Denver's 2010 first round pick to Seattle last year for the right to move up in the second round and select Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith.
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Interesting...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

that doesn't make any sense....

oh wait....mcdummy doesn't care about future draft picks. never say never
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

What kind of offer would get the deal done? It would be absurd to give up that many players...
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Yeah trade up for 1 player when we need a zillion players. Better tell Doom to sign his tender. I'm sure he'd be happy Denver wanting #1 pick contract and nothing for him.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-20-2010 at 11:38 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Talk increases that Rams would trade down on the cheap
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2010 6:53 AM ET
The draft is two days away, and there's growing talk in league circles that the Rams would be willing to trade out of the No. 1 overall selection for a package far less than the outdated draft trade chart would require.

The thinking is that, if the Rams stay put, they'd feel compelled to take quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick. But there's a concern that Bradford, who hasn't played much football since 2008, will end up on the bench for most if not all of 2010, while A.J. Feeley or Keith Null or someone else takes the snaps. (Then there's the whole "exploding shoulder" thing and the whole "spread offense" thing, which Bradford tried unconvincingly to explain away during a Monday interview on Jim Rome Is Burning.)

Some believe that the Rams, who have won six games in three years, would prefer to pick a player who can step right in and play -- and if they can acquire more picks or, perhaps even better, extra players who can immediately contribute, it would be a bonus.

Then there's the value that comes from stepping away from having to fork over the record contract that the first overall pick will receive, especially if it's a quarterback.

So who would trade up? The primary candidates are the Redskins (No. 4), the Browns (No. 7), and possibly the Seahawks (No. 6).

And for those of you who think that the Redskins wouldn't pick a quarterback in round one, the one quarterback they'd potentially pick is Bradford, whom offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan would begin to develop behind the scenes, potentially with the idea of coach Mike Shanahan engineering a torch-passing to Kyle after two or three seasons with Donovan McNabb at the helm.

For the Rams, the biggest question is whether they'd be willing to take the heat for taking a package that would pale in comparison to the deals done in past years at the top of round one. Given that the Rams have suffered through far greater indignities of late relating to and arising from on-field performance (or lack thereof), they should be thrilled to be criticized for making a move that potentially will improve their current circumstances significantly.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

If we trade our two 2nd rounders I'll flip the **** out. Still pissed over Smith. I'm still boggled how McDaniels though Smith would be better than a 1st round pick this year. The 14th pick would be ****ing awesome.

We have TWO 2nd rounders next year. I could see us potentially trading THAT PICK + our 1st rounder to move up, or that pick + a 2nd rounder this year to move up.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
What kind of offer would get the deal done? It would be absurd to give up that many players...
There is nothing left that can be considered absurd in Dove Valley after the rollercoaster ride we have been on for just over a year now.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Yeah trade up for 1 player when we need a zillion players. Better tell Doom to sign his tender. I'm sure he'd be happy Denver wanting #1 pick contract and nothing for Doom.
Dude! If Doom isn't on board with getting a franchise QB then he can take a hike. I personally would prefer a trade down UNLESS you had an opportunity for Sam Bradford.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Browns may want to move down also. Going to be an interesting draft.

Browns could be caught in a vise at No. 7
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2010 12:35 PM ET

As the draft gets closer, there's one team that is believed to be "panicking" based on its position in the top ten.

With five or six truly elite players in the draft pool (Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Trent Williams, Russell Okung, and possibly Eric Berry), the Browns potentially will find themselves with the first pick in the second wave of round one.

As we hear it, the Browns don't believe there's anyone who can sufficiently help them at No. 7 to justify using the pick. They don't sufficiently love cornerback Joe Haden or running back C.J. Spiller to take either of them at that high financial slot. If Berry squirts through, he could be the pick.

So that's why the Browns are exploring a move in either direction. The problem will be to find someone else who wants to use the seventh pick on a player who may not justify the financial investment, given that the team that uses the selection will be faced with the slot-busting Darrius Heyward-Bey contract as a starting point.

The only way the Rams would come down to No. 7 would be to get quarterback Jimmy Clausen. The only way someone would come up would be to get Clausen or Kyle Wilson or Dez Bryant or someone other player that a team in the teens secretly loves.

Either way, that four-game winning streak to end the 2009 season has created an unwanted consequence. The Browns are now stuck in a round-one no-man's-land from which they may not be able to escape.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-vise-at-no-7/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

It makes the most sense for the Seahawks to trade up.

Bradford would probably be a very good fit as a Bronco (great accuracy, great poise, natural athlete), but damn it would cost so much when we need so much.

So first I thought I had to watch out for Tebow, and now it's Bradford? I better start drinking early on Thursday...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

I wonder what the forums would do if we traded Doom.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I wouldnt be a supporter of this...if for no other reason that it'd ruin my draft day.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

What if Quinn was part of the deal, as to use less picks?
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

The fact that St Louis hasn't negotiated a deal with Bradford or anybody else is pretty telling.

I could see the Rams picking Bradford...then doing a River\Manning swap later in the round for Clausen.

Clausen's agent would then argue that he really was the #1 overall pick.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #17
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Coulda happened if not for Pro Bowler Phozzie Smiff.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
that doesn't make any sense....

oh wait....mcdummy doesn't care about future draft picks. never say never
I agree with this but, to mortage the farm for the twig Bradford would be nuts.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

People can like or dislike the moves last year all they like.
One positive we can take from those actions is that teams know the Broncos are wheeler-dealers, and can be unpredictable. That is not a bad reputation...

Unless you're the Raiders!lol
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #20
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
of course it would...

I don't believe the rumor either, but broncos fans are not allowed to say "never".
Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

That would be absolutely nuts! If anything, I want to trade down and get more picks...not the other way around!!

No thanks.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Apparently he has gained 20-30lbs since last season.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sam Bradford is great with protection,but without it he's proven to be injury prone. He reminds me of Chad Pennington great with protection,but a pro-bowl cheerleader without protection when he's out with an injury from 1 hit.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
meangene
Ring of Famer

If we mortgage our draft on a QB who is coming off two injuries to his throwing shoulder in the same season with all the needs we have on this team, I will blow a ****ing gasket! In fact, if we package our two seconds to move up without having gotten another second in a trade back, I will be pissed the **** off. This is a deep draft and we have a nice collection of premium picks - don't blow it!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #25
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

This will not happen
baja is offline   Reply With Quote