The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default The Ideal Ded Mock

This is “the ideal Mock” only because of the trade down scenario. I don’t think I’ve made any huge stretches in taking players well after they’re likely to go. I’m not a fan of Madden-like trade scenarios, but I do like to include a single trade in all my mock drafts. I had started with Marshall to the Seahawks for #14, but that changed when Marshall was dealt to the Dolphins and Scheffler was dealt to the Lions.

So my new trade is this: The Eagles are desperate to upgrade their secondary, and will need to move up from #24 to get either a top tier CB or S. In the trade the Broncos give pick #11 and #183 (6th rounder). In return they get pick #24 and pick #35 overall.
So, the Broncos go into the draft with the following picks:

Round 1: #24
Round 2: #7,#11, and #13 (#35, #43, and #45)
Round 3: #16 (#80)
Round 4: #16 (#114)
Round 4: #22 (#120)
Round 5: #5 (#137)

Pick #24-Mike Iupati OG, Idaho, 6’5” 331-I think he’ll develop into the best interior lineman coming out of this draft, and that’s exactly what we need. He’ll fit in well next to Clady, and will add significant power to the OL. He’ll start from day 1 at LG and will have a few growing pains as a rookie, but after that, the left side of the OL will be solidified for years to come. He’s a guy that will help cure what ails the Broncos short yardage woes, and he is a perfect fit for the power blocking scheme that the Broncos are transitioning to.
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=GhVxlK...next=1&index=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFMZ...eature=related

#35-Tyson Alualu DE, Cal, 6’3” 295- I might be accused of a Somoan bias with this draft, but I don’t care. Tyson Alualu reminds me a little of Dumervil in the fact that people question his ability due solely because he dosen’t have the prototypical body for his position. However, he demonstrates an awareness that I just do not see from many football players at any position. Physically, he is powerful at the point of attack, and has enough quickness to get pressure on the QB, and his awareness serves to accentuate those attributes. He’s a high motor guy who is going to bring it on every play. He played his entire career in a 3-4 system at Cal which not many college prospects can claim, and I think he’ll have a more immediate impact than most defensive linemen in this class. I absolutely love this guy. He has everything you could ask for in a football player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72KQ_NzX8NU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnP_U...eature=related

#43- Terrence Cody NT, Alabama, 6’5” 365- I’m not counting on getting more than one solid season out of Jamal Williams. I think Cody is undersold coming into the draft. Yes, his weight is a concern, yes he takes plays off, but the same is true of any giant coming out of college. Watch highlight video of McClain, and Cody is a big reason he gets some much space to run freely. Constantly occupying double teams, and does not get moved very often. He’s just an absolute clogger in the middle. Give him a year to get down into the 340-pound range and I think he can be a dominant presence in the middle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJwMCgaxKo

Pick #45- Vladimir Ducasse OL, UMass, 6’4” 331- Beast. I’m not at all sold on the ability of Ryan Harris to have a long and prosperous career in the NFL. Back issues, toe issues, etc. And I’m not convinced he can be dominant in the change with the power blocking system. Vlad is a guy I would love the Broncos to take in the 2nd. He’s a small school guy, but is an absolute beast who has the ability to maul on the right side. Fairly raw, but has great hands and superb strength. Some people want to try to project him to LT at the next level, but I think he’s a perfect fit on the right side for years to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwLp0...eature=related

Pick #114- Jamar Chaney ILB, Mississippi, 6’1” 240- I love this kid, and to get him in the 4th would be a steal to write home about; and I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch. He quietly turned in the fastest time for an LB at the combine, and recorded a 39” vertical, but his measurables are the least impressive part of his game. He’s very solid against both the run and pass. He diagnoses plays quickly and flows to the ball well. Does a great job, better than any LB I’ve seen in this draft, of taking on blockers and then getting off blocks to make a play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMZm...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FErsTC47s&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWuU...eature=related

#137- Marcus Easley WR, 6’3” 210- Hard working kid with all the physical skills to play in the NFL. Was a walk-on at Connecticut and worked his way into a scholarship. Had a breakout season in 2009 to lead Connecticut’s offense catching 44 balls for 853 yards and 8 TDs in the final eight games of his college career. Ran a 4.39 at the combine and posted a 37.5 inch vertical leap at his pro day. He will certainly need to improve his route running, but he has the physical tools, and given his walk-on background you can make a good bet that he’s going to work as hard as anyone to maximize his ability.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfVcTDNAAE
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...;pageContainer

Last edited by Dedhed; 04-20-2010 at 08:07 AM..
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Not bad overall, but Scheffler has already been trade for 5th (137 overall).
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Not bad overall, but Scheffler has already been trade for 5th (137 overall).
That's why I have pick #137- Marcus Easley in my mock. Forgot to remove that Scheffler bit.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Solid work too bad teams never use all picks on biggest needs.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

great draft! I'd swap out Alualu and insert WR, De. Thomas, Benn or Williams!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

very very nice draft. except, where's our new center?
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
Seconded.

Are you counting on Dustin Fry?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
I have Seth Olson being groomed as a Center or have us signing a stop gap vet if the draft fell this way. And of course there's the mighty Dustin Fry on our roster.

I can also see Kuper moving to center and having Olson and Ryan Harris battling it out for the RG spot with Ducasse at RT.

PS Edit: In short, I don't think we release Wiegman if we didn't have a potential player already on the roster.

Last edited by Dedhed; 04-20-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

High second should go on a WR. Thomas, Tate, Benn or Williams (in order of my personal rankings.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Love the trade down, but I would want to get a WR in the 2nd. Somewhere.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

REALLY Like the first 3 picks. They are all money. We would be a much bigger and tougher team. I would replace a WR with Ducasse. If we already got Iupati why take Ducasee? Neither can play Center. Take a WR like Damian Williams at 45. Also I noticed you forgot to make a selection at #80. Thats where we can get a center prospect either Matt Tennant or J.D. Walton. Only other change I might make it swap out Marcus Easley for Armanti Edwards. Nice draft tho.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I just don't see any 2nd round receivers having much value. I like Benn, but he has the dropsies. Thomas has the same issue, never ran routes in college, and has health issues.

Given that, I would rather take a high ceiling guy like Easley and dedicate the early picks to beefing up the lines.

Skill guys always look better behind a killer line.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
#43- Terrence Cody NT, Alabama, 65 365- Im not counting on getting more than one solid season out of Jamal Williams. I think Cody is undersold coming into the draft. Yes, his weight is a concern, yes he takes plays off, but the same is true of any giant coming out of college. Watch highlight video of McClain, and Cody is a big reason he gets some much space to run freely. Constantly occupying double teams, and does not get moved very often. Hes just an absolute clogger in the middle. Give him a year to get down into the 340-pound range and I think he can be a dominant presence in the middle.
I think this is a very important point to consider for anyone looking at our needs. Fields should remain the backup, and other guys limited to rotational/situational duties at NT. We need another NT to bring in, learns from Jamal and take over in his 2nd season imo.

Not sure who or where to take this NT, but I like Cody in the 2nd or Dan Williams in the 1st.

McShay's latest mock has our needs listed as ILB, WR, C/G, OLB & RB, and then lists ILB as our greatest need and taking McClain in the 1st. I have to strongly disagree, ILB is not our strongest need, and i really don't see ILB as a huge need at all. Don't agree at all with OLB or RB as needs either
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
REALLY Like the first 3 picks. They are all money. We would be a much bigger and tougher team. I would replace a WR with Ducasse. If we already got Iupati why take Ducasee? Neither can play Center. Take a WR like Damian Williams at 45. Also I noticed you forgot to make a selection at #80. Thats where we can get a center prospect either Matt Tennant or J.D. Walton. Only other change I might make it swap out Marcus Easley for Armanti Edwards. Nice draft tho.
Good call on Pick # 80- Had so many versions of this that it fell through the cracks. Working on the edit.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This one's a mixed bag for me. I like the trade and the focus on getting bigger, but I really feel like the team needs to address the offensive skill positions in some capacity before round 5. Iupati and Cody are solid picks, as is Chaney, Ducasse is overkill with Iupati and I think there will be better talent that Alualu available at 35.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplelefthook View Post
I think this is a very important point to consider for anyone looking at our needs. Fields should remain the backup, and other guys limited to rotational/situational duties at NT. We need another NT to bring in, learns from Jamal and take over in his 2nd season imo.

Not sure who or where to take this NT, but I like Cody in the 2nd or Dan Williams in the 1st.

McShay's latest mock has our needs listed as ILB, WR, C/G, OLB & RB, and then lists ILB as our greatest need and taking McClain in the 1st. I have to strongly disagree, ILB is not our strongest need, and i really don't see ILB as a huge need at all. Don't agree at all with OLB or RB as needs either
Thats why I'm thinking Dan Williams at #11
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Great draft except one thing... Ducasse is redundant at 45. We already got a guard in the 1st and we don't need a RT (which I don't see Ducasse as anyways). Change him out for Walton or Tennant and that would be a fantastic draft IMO.
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: