The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,274

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Why we won't be drafting McClain or Weatherspoon.

No, I'm fully prepared for looking like a fool on Thursday night, but I have to say that I just can't see any way we end up picking one of these guys when the big moment comes.

Few reasons.

Firstly, I don't see how it makes any fiscal sense whatsoever.

We're already paying DJ Williams roughly six to eight million a year. We also have Robert Ayers, last year's 1st round pick with a very nice little contract for himself. Already, that's a nice amount of money tied up in the linebacker position.

Then there's Dumervil. I just don't see any way we let the guy walk away. It flies in the face of pretty much everything McDaniels has preached since he got here. He'll get a deal, and a pretty hefty one at that.

Bearing all of this in mind, we'd be pretty much insane to go drafting another linebacker and paying him the kind of contract that we'd have to dish out to a #11 pick (or even a slightly later one, if we trade down). I know there's no salary cap this year, but when they get a new CBA figured out I'd be pretty confident that some sort of new salary cap will be part of it. If and when that happens, do we really want so much money tied up at the one position?

Then there's the fact that we'd be drafting them to essentially play the role that Andra Davis featured in for us last year.

DJ Williams seems to have the WILB position locked down, with Woodyard as his back-up.

At present we have Haggan as our starting SILB, with Larsen backing him up.

Clearly, the SILB position is the position most in need of an upgrade.

However, at the end of the day it's a spot on the field that simply isn't all that important, or at least it doesn't take an elite level of talent to play the spot well. What we need is a guy who can take on blocks well, play with discipline and be a strong physical presence up the middle and lay some wood once in a while.

Now, I happen to like McClain and Weatherspoon. I think they both have a shot at being real players for whatever team it is that picks them up on Thursday. But I just don't see how that team ends up being the Broncos.

Only way is if we're planning on trading DJ. While I don't think DJ is a special player by any means, he's far from the player I'd be most looking to move on at this point. Also, for the sake of the Mane I don't think it'd be a good thing. Socal would pretty much end worlds if it happened.

I'm firmly in the "Dan Williams at #11 or trade down and get an O-Line player and some extra picks" camp, if we go LB I'll be very confused as to what on earth the plan is.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,071

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Yup.

Exactly why I think Micah Johnson is on our radar somehwere in the 4th or 5th round. Wouldn't that be sweet. Get rid of Schef and get the 3rd pick of the 5th round and hopefully Micah is there.

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

I doubt Beavis will **** up this draft so bad.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
robbieopperude's Avatar
 
Shannon to Canton!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 767

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Anybody want Haden at 11. I guess his Pro Day was very very good and he would be a nice DB to have against the pass happy offenses of NE, Indi, SD if we ever make it to a playoff game.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,768

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

It's OK to run the 3-4 with two good ILB's. The Jets did it last year. They had a pretty good D. The Steelers have had success at it. The Ravens had Bart Scott and Ray Lewis for awhile.

One thing I would pay attention to is the rumor about Lawrence Timmons being cut. I would rather Denver worked out a trade to get him. It sounds like they are going to use Foote over Timmons.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,274

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
It's OK to run the 3-4 with two good ILB's. The Jets did it last year. They had a pretty good D. The Steelers have had success at it. The Ravens had Bart Scott and Ray Lewis for awhile.

One thing I would pay attention to is the rumor about Lawrence Timmons being cut. I would rather Denver worked out a trade to get him. It sounds like they are going to use Foote over Timmons.
It's not that they're good that's the problem, you want good players.

It's how much you're paying them that is my issue. Harris is still a rookie, I doubt his deal is costing the Jets much. But DJ + a #11 pick? That's a lot tied up in one position.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
Anybody want Haden at 11.
I don't think he'll make it to 11.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,964

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
It's OK to run the 3-4 with two good ILB's. The Jets did it last year. They had a pretty good D. The Steelers have had success at it. The Ravens had Bart Scott and Ray Lewis for awhile.

One thing I would pay attention to is the rumor about Lawrence Timmons being cut. I would rather Denver worked out a trade to get him. It sounds like they are going to use Foote over Timmons.
Where'd you hear this? I'd be completely stunned if that happened.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,768

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Where'd you hear this? I'd be completely stunned if that happened.
Sirius radio. Pretty sure it either came from Gil Brandt or maybe it was Jim Miller when I was listening to late hits. Maybe they are just talking about something that really isn't there though. I was shocked when I heard that as well.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 2,130

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

I think if McClain is there at 11...we are gonna take him!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,423

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

i still want weatherspoon. natural leader, good player
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I think "leadership" and "football smarts" will be the two primary elements of every draftee the Broncos look at. Judging by previous comments, Josh feels that McClain fulfills those requirements. I have no doubt he's up high on the Broncos' board. I have my own doubts about him. In the championship game, it appeared to me that McClain was looking to teammates to see how plays were developing and then reacting to their reactions. Not good in a "Mike." Also, is he fast enough to play coverage? He didn't blow anybody away with his pro-days. And he got a lot of protection from that Alabama line. But, what do I know? The Broncos scouts and coaches are going to look at that #1 pick in far more in depth than I ever could.

I don't know why the Broncos would look at Weatherspoon. He's about the same size as Woodyard. I can't imagine he would be any better. In fact, I doubt he would work very well as a WLB in a 3-4. He strikes me as a prototypical Will in a 4-3.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,115
Default

It changes day to day for me this draft has some amazing guys Broncos could use. This would be ideal from my stand point;

Trade back and get an extra third:

1. 20-24 Pouncey - C
2.1 A. Benn - WR
2.2 Sean Lee - ILB
3.1 John Jerry or Marshall Newhouse - OT/OG
3.2 Toby Gerhart - RB
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,423

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think "leadership" and "football smarts" will be the two primary elements of every draftee the Broncos look at. Judging by previous comments, Josh feels that McClain fulfills those requirements. I have no doubt he's up high on the Broncos' board. I have my own doubts about him. In the championship game, it appeared to me that McClain was looking to teammates to see how plays were developing and then reacting to their reactions. Not good in a "Mike." Also, is he fast enough to play coverage? He didn't blow anybody away with his pro-days. And he got a lot of protection from that Alabama line. But, what do I know? The Broncos scouts and coaches are going to look at that #1 pick in far more in depth than I ever could.

I don't know why the Broncos would look at Weatherspoon. He's about the same size as Woodyard. I can't imagine he would be any better. In fact, I doubt he would work very well as a WLB in a 3-4. He strikes me as a prototypical Will in a 4-3.
I think Spoon will be good wherever you put him. He's athletic, instinctual, a natural leader, smart, and a born football player. He's bigger than Woodyard and simply a better football player. Im tellin ya, if we draft this guy, he'll be an al wilson-esque fan favorite.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
SpringStein
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monument, CO
Posts: 2,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't think he'll make it to 11.
My information is that the Raiders have Trent Williams as #1 and Haden as #2 on their board currently. I think Williams will go before their selection, so my guess is it will be Joe Haden to Raiders.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
 
Steve Sewell's Avatar
 
Patrick and Ty's pimp

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,621

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
Anybody want Haden at 11. I guess his Pro Day was very very good and he would be a nice DB to have against the pass happy offenses of NE, Indi, SD if we ever make it to a playoff game.
Haden has like, this really big mole by one of his ears. He'll need a bigger helmet.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
It changes day to day for me this draft has some amazing guys Broncos could use. This would be ideal from my stand point;

Trade back and get an extra third:

1. 20-24 Pouncey - C
2.1 A. Benn - WR
2.2 Sean Lee - ILB
3.1 John Jerry or Marshall Newhouse - OT/OG
3.2 Toby Gerhart - RB
I like the Pouncey and Benn picks...but, I'd pass on Lee. All the tape I see on him shows a guy making tackles down the field...not very good blowing up plays ro making tackles for losses.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think Spoon will be good wherever you put him. He's athletic, instinctual, a natural leader, smart, and a born football player. He's bigger than Woodyard and simply a better football player. Im tellin ya, if we draft this guy, he'll be an al wilson-esque fan favorite.
Yeah, I've been comparing him to Woodyard too. He's beefed up to 239lbs...but, is made for the weakside of a 4-3 IMO. I don't see him in the middle of a 3-4. I think he will get blown out by guards coming through. He's firey...I'll give him that. There's also alot of concern about how he might affect a locker room. Rumor is he has a big mouth and NFL Scouts are concerned about that.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think Spoon will be good wherever you put him. He's athletic, instinctual, a natural leader, smart, and a born football player. He's bigger than Woodyard and simply a better football player. Im tellin ya, if we draft this guy, he'll be an al wilson-esque fan favorite.
He's only got about ten pounds on Wesley. I just don't see where he'd be that much of an upgrade. To be honest with you, if the Broncos are serious about going LB in the first round, I would hope they pass on both McClain and Spoon, trade down, and take Jerry Hughes. IMO, they would be much happier with him in the long run.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,850

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yup.

Exactly why I think Micah Johnson is on our radar somehwere in the 4th or 5th round. Wouldn't that be sweet. Get rid of Schef and get the 3rd pick of the 5th round and hopefully Micah is there.

Dude, Micah is slow as ****.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...010&genpos=ILB

We didn't get rid of a FASTER Andra Davis just to get a guy who runs a good time for a DT.

He's claimed to hit between 4.7-4.8 though... still slow as ****.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #21
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
It changes day to day for me this draft has some amazing guys Broncos could use. This would be ideal from my stand point;

Trade back and get an extra third:

1. 20-24 Pouncey - C
2.1 A. Benn - WR
2.2 Sean Lee - ILB
3.1 John Jerry or Marshall Newhouse - OT/OG
3.2 Toby Gerhart - RB
tears of joy would be flowing freely!
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,423

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Yeah, I've been comparing him to Woodyard too. He's beefed up to 239lbs...but, is made for the weakside of a 4-3 IMO. I don't see him in the middle of a 3-4. I think he will get blown out by guards coming through. He's firey...I'll give him that. There's also alot of concern about how he might affect a locker room. Rumor is he has a big mouth and NFL Scouts are concerned about that.
I dont get why we're comparing guys by measurables alone. Theres a reason spoon is gonna be a first round draft pick and Woodyard was undrafted. If measurables are all we go by, then TJ Duckett should be among the best RB's in the NFL. But he sucks. As far as Spoon's "big mouth" is concerned, ive heard more that he's a leader and well respected than a divisive figure. I think this guy is gonna be a good one and can be a 3 down linebacker. Sure, he's be good in a 4-3, but i think he'd do just fine in the 3-4 and would be an instant starter here. Even McD gushed about him, saying he absorbed everything they threw at him.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer
 
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I think we are going to be surprised when Mcd selects CJ Spiller at #11 and say that he was the guy all along.
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #24
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler
 
Triplelefthook's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 678

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I pesonally don't see ILB as a particularly pressing need. Not only will we have a lot of money locked up at LB but we have adequate players to play SILB already with Larsen and Haggan.

It's not that important to have 4 all star LBs, we have a couple studs already, its the Dline that needs some studs, depth, and money allocation.

I still would have kept Andra Davis, but oh well
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Denver Broncos