The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you trade our 2011 1st rounder for a 2010 early 2nd rounder?
Yes 29 33.72%
No 57 66.28%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Default Would you trade our 2011 1st rounder for a 2010 early 2nd rounder?

I know it was unpopular in the last draft (I wasn't crazy about it either, though I do like Smith and think he will become a good player), but next years draft looks like it will be a bit weak. We could arguably get a better player in the early 2nd this season and for a cheaper deal, plus we have the extra 2nd from Miami. Would you do it? Poll forthcoming...

EDIT: Let me clarify the two choices: if you say yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that price." No means, "no, there is no realistic scenario I foresee that would be worth a 2011 1st rounder."

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 04-18-2010 at 03:45 PM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Hell no. I don't want to be a pessimist, but I foresee a rough 2010 year.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Elway's Pigeon Toes
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Pouncey or Iupati is still available when they finish the 1st round for the night then absolutely. That's the only scenario I could see being worth it though. It's gotta be someone that we would actually want to take in the first round this year that slips.
Elway's Pigeon Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

Hell to the no...

TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Depends who's on the board.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

For me, it depends on the player. For example, I might do it for Toby Gerhart. He is a true wrecking machine. I really think a backfield of Gerhart and Moreno could potentially wreck teams for several years. But I don't think he will make it to #43. We could trade up, obviously, but I'd rather keep all our picks this year because I don't think next seasons draft is going to be a great one.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

No, there is no reason to do that.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Hell to the no...

I know it's easy to dismiss off-hand, but next seasons draft really does look poor. I think a better player may well be available in the early second versus where we pick next year, and for a fraction of the cost. It also helps that we have that extra 2nd in our pocket. I'm not saying I would definitely do it, but there are some players who would make me consider it.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Endy
Go Donks

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
This. First, you can't judge a draft a year out when half of the guys come out of nowhere in their junior/senior year. Second, anybody who would agree to trade a pick 4 days before the draft without even knowing who is on the board deserves another Alphonso Smith.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nah.

Who knows what next years draft crop will end up being like? Plenty of players who aren't being thought of as great prospects right now will have stellar years and become really good prospects for next year's draft. Odds are the class won't be as good as next years, but I still want to have a first to play with.

I could see us using one of our seconds next year as part of a trade up this season though. The two picks we got for Brandon could well be an intriguing package if there's a player we really like there late in the 1st.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Endy View Post
This. First, you can't judge a draft a year out when half of the guys come out of nowhere in their junior/senior year. Second, anybody who would agree to trade a pick 4 days before the draft without even knowing who is on the board deserves another Alphonso Smith.
Please note I did not mean we should do it now. I assumed it would be obvious that I meant if a player we liked was available at the time of the theoretical pick. If you vote yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that."

Oh, and anyone writing Smith off after one season doesn't watch much football. Countless players have become quality starters and even Pro Bowl peroformers after an unproductive rookie campaign. Some need a year or two to develop.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Endy
Go Donks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Please note I did not mean we should do it now. I assumed it would be obvious that I meant if a player we liked was available at the time of the theoretical pick. If you vote yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that."

Oh, and anyone writing Smith off after one season doesn't watch much football. Countless players have become quality starters and even Pro Bowl peroformers after an unproductive rookie campaign. Some need a year or two to develop.
You should be more specific with your polling language!

Alphonso Smith was the only example I had. Chill out.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Endy View Post
You should be more specific with your polling language!
I edited the OP to make it more clear, sorry for the confusion

Quote:
Alphonso Smith was the only example I had. Chill out.
Yeah, sorry, I am just getting sick of folks bashing the 2009 draft as if it is a foregone conclusion that it was bad. Anyone who follows football closely knows you cannot reasonably access a draft after one season.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Endy
Go Donks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I edited the OP to make it more clear, sorry for the confusion

Yeah, sorry, I am just getting sick of folks bashing the 2009 draft as if it is a foregone conclusion that it was bad. Anyone who follows football closely knows you cannot reasonably access a draft after one season.
Which is why I invested heavily in Jarvis Moss jerseys back in 2007. '09 was decent in my opinion because of Moreno and the unexpected contributions from the later round guys. Can't hit on everybody.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I suppose, but even then id say no. No player is worth it, especially with no other first round pick.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Yes, because the 2010 draft is supposed to be one of the stronger drafts. It's hard to squeeze all the 1st round talent into 32 picks. 2011 is supposed to be weaker. 2010 is also stronger than 2009, which is why it wasn't a good idea to trade this year's 1st for Alphonso.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

No, but if I was flush right now I'd bet McD will trade Miami's or our 2nd rounder in 2011 for a pick this year if someone he likes is still there, early 3rd rd.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I suppose, but even then id say no. No player is worth it, especially with no other first round pick.
"No player is worth it"? Really? Suppose it's a guy the staff is convinced is a 10 year starter. Let's say someone like Pouncey falls to #37, for instance. The staff believe he starts for a decade and makes multiple pro bowls. No dice, even then?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #19
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would think picks next year would have significantly less value this year as while there will be a draft, there may not be football.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

We may not have football in 2011, and the world will end in 2012, so we might as well trade all our future picks for a boatload of picks in 2010.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
We may not have football in 2011, and the world will end in 2012, so we might as well trade all our future picks for a boatload of picks in 2010.
I agree. I think most teams will operate under the assumption that a new CBA will be worked out. Teams have already been accepting 2011 picks as part of trades.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #22
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
This is the best point of view in the thread thus far.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

So far it is about 2/3 against trading a 2011 1st. I definitely understand that sentiment. Still, I think there are a handful of guys worth the move, given that next seasons draft looks weaker. That said, it would depend on the player we selected. Some guys that could be available that I wouldn't mind the move for are: Gerhart, Pouncey (may go in the 1st, but never know with centers), Tate, Benn, Ricky Sapp. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Again, I totally understand those who disagree.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #24
Broncochica
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It would depend on who has slipped that far.
Broncochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncochica View Post
It would depend on who has slipped that far.
Quote:
Let me clarify the two choices: if you say yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that price." No means, "no, there is no realistic scenario I foresee that would be worth a 2011 1st rounder."
So, is it a realistic possibilty that a guy you like will be there in the early 2nd? If so, would you swap next years 1st for him? If so, vote yes. If not, vote no.