The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default McClain vs. Spikes

OK, there seems to be a lot of love for McClain. Everyone talks about what a great pick he would be, and I keep challenging people to show me his good highlights. There have been no takers...

So, after looking on NFL.com (where they have mysteriously removed all the McClain videos) I found some on YouTube. As I have been saying, the only thing I ever see him do is run in space (behind a huge Alabama line), uncontested by O-linemen. He isn't tremendously gifted at anything - not speed, not power, not coverage, not instincts. Just my opinion. Form your own opinion with the following video:

Now, let's look at another imperfect player, but one with more natural talent. The positives are that he has good natural instincts, he plays fast, and he can do everything an ILB should do (blitzing, taking on o-linemen, leveling devastating tackles, playing zone coverage) very well. His problem is that many times he doesn't perform well because he is out of position. I think that he can be "taught" to be a better player. Brandon Spikes:

Go ahead. Tell me why McClain deserves to be a first round pick, when we could easily get a guy like Spikes in the second.

I apologize ahead of time for the music - it is horrible. Just turn your volume down.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I'll reply to my own thread with another ILB I would rather have than McClain - Micah Johnson from Kentucky. He can be had somewhere in rounds 3-5 and he impresses me much more than McClain.

This dude can hit like a freight train, runs incredibly fast for 250+, and is probably the best ILB in traffic.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Wasn't Brandon Spikes all the hot **** last year?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I'll reply to my own thread with another ILB I would rather have than McClain - Micah Johnson from Kentucky. He can be had somewhere in rounds 3-5 and he impresses me much more than McClain.

This dude can hit like a freight train, runs incredibly fast for 250+, and is probably the best ILB in traffic.

This is a highlight video which is nice. The other two vids are not (McClain and Spikes).

We'll just have to wait and see what the Broncos do at MLB.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Not sold on McClain.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

I'm not a big fan of McClain, but posting a 5 minute video of lowlights will make anyone look bad.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Did you just say that the guy that is smaller than McClain, but still ran slower than A LOT of linemen (not just LBers) has more natural talent?

If we pick up a MLB that couldn't break 5.0 in the 40 before the 4th round, I will be very irritated.

I can't believe that someone that is b****ing about McClain's athleticism is advocating taking a guy that has done everything possible this offseason to make himself undraftable with how athletically below average he is.

Last edited by misturanderson; 04-18-2010 at 05:34 PM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Paladin
Ring of Famer

How about neither. Maybe there are a couple of alternatives ot there. Sean Lee?

Frankly, if Pouncey is there and that is the area of need and he is projected to be a good player, why not take him at 11? Value doesn't win crap except for brownie points in a guessing game.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Neither McClain or Spikes were impressive in those videos . They reminded me of our 2007-08 defenses...overunning plays, out of position etc. But I'm sure they must have had better plays, and the scouts rate them highly. I really hope we use our first pick for an Impact player, whoever it is (Spiller, Bryant, whoever else).
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
bombay
Ring of Famer

Spikes' 40 times at the combine were over 5 seconds both times. Maybe something was wrong, but that's offensive lineman territory.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Spikes is going to free fall, and I don't care what people think. Speed like that will make him fall, and it wouldn't surprise me if he fell to the middle rounds.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Spikes' 40 times at the combine were over 5 seconds both times. Maybe something was wrong, but that's offensive lineman territory.
I can't explain Spikes' 40 times, and it is worrysome. However, when I watch him play, I see a guy that can easily chase plays sideline to sideline. I don't see that in McClain so take that for what its worth.

I remember a few years back when Patrick Willis came out and everyone knew he deserved to be picked at 11 (if not higher). I don't see a single thing that tells me McClain has that type of value.

I'll just feel much better Thursday night if I don't hear his name.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Also, for the record, Maualuga put up some slow numbers at the combine last year, and he turned out alright. I tend to look at them in film, playing ball, over what they do in shorts and running shoes.

Spikes plays faster football.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

4.6 vs 5.0 40 time.

3down player vs 2down player.

McClain > Spikes
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

This guy seems like a player!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I like Johnson...but, I don't think he's the athelete that McClain is. McClain can get after the QB in addition to stopping the run and plugging the middle. The biggest worry is his health.

I'd be happy with Johnson in the 4th or 5th, but I don't see the speed there. He's instinctive and launches his body...but not all that fast.

Spikes looks like he reacts slow to the ball and is slow.

As for 40 time...really, we should look at their 10 and 20yd splits...because that's what matters for a LB.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
broncowill
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i was ok with mcclain untill i looked up his statistics. 52 of is 105 tackles are assists. this scares me away from mcclain a little because for the 11th pick i want a guy who can get the job done by himself and not in a group, i have never actually watched mcclain except for the national championship so i dont really know how good this guy really is but based on this i would much rather have johnson later in the draft than draft mcclain with the 11th pick.

Last edited by broncowill; 04-18-2010 at 08:33 PM..
broncowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #18
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I addressed this in my mock draft. I think we need to go with the combo of Bryant/Spikes instead of McClain/whoever else is left at WR. I dont care what Spikes 40 times were. He played in the SEC and had no problems keeping up. His football speed is all that matters, not his track.
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Oro_ View Post
I'm not a big fan of McClain, but posting a 5 minute video of lowlights will make anyone look bad.
All those lowlights are taken from 3 games.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #20
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

There is nothing authoritative about McClain's game. I've looked everywhere, and I still haven't seen a single play he's made where he's been touched by a player on offense. If he's touched (and sometimes just close to being touched) he's completely neutralized.

He doesn't tackle with any authority, doesn't pursue with any authority, and doesn't read the play with any authority. I have him as a top 3 overrated player going into this draft.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
broncowill
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i would love taking johnson somewhere in the draft. really the only negative i have heard about him is his pass coverage, and we have woodyard who can do that.
broncowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #22
Great13
He's Great!

Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
There is nothing authoritative about McClain's game. I've looked everywhere, and I still haven't seen a single play he's made where he's been touched by a player on offense. If he's touched (and sometimes just close to being touched) he's completely neutralized.

He doesn't tackle with any authority, doesn't pursue with any authority, and doesn't read the play with any authority. I have him as a top 3 overrated player going into this draft.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Arm tackles for days on his highlight reels... tackles that would easily be broken in the NFL. For all his speed and awareness, it seems he never arrives at the ball right on time to lay a clean "pop & wrap" tackle.
Great13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #23
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP-06 View Post
I addressed this in my mock draft. I think we need to go with the combo of Bryant/Spikes instead of McClain/whoever else is left at WR. I dont care what Spikes 40 times were. He played in the SEC and had no problems keeping up. His football speed is all that matters, not his track.
Yeah that sounds nice but Spikes and Bryant are extremely talented but have maturity issues and I can tell you right now McDaniels aint havin that. I think McClain and Thomas (if we trade up to get him) would be the ideal situation. They are both big, talented, high character guys who McDaniels likes to build this team around. My only problem with McClain is that he doesn't have any flare or pop in his hits to be 6-4 255. He just seems like he's wrapping ppl up instead of exploding through guys like spikes and that guy micah johnson.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I think McClain is being hyped because of his size. Also, you have to remember he was the leader of a very good defense which means he made all the audibles and adjustments on the field. So, if he ran a great defense though leadership and smarts and by putting others around him in the best position to make a play then that speaks for itself.

Basically, he helped a good defense be great. If he didn't have to make a phenominal play or tackle 10 times a game doesn't that mean he did his job? I dunno, hard to tell...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #25
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
All those lowlights are taken from 3 games.
Just playing devil's advocate here but...

I'm sure he didn't do anything good in those 3 games either.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote