The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default The truth on the Brandon Marshall deal

The truth on the Brandon Marshall deal
Posted by Mike Florio on April 17, 2010 5:57 PM ET

Now that NBC has produced and aired a commercial that makes us look a lot better at this than we really are, we need to periodically put something up here that justifies the characterization.

So here's one to consider.

Many of you have wondered how and why the Miami Dolphins could have made Brandon Marshall the highest-paid receiver in NFL history. The easy answer, as we pointed out the other day, is that they didn't -- his widely-reported four-year, $47.5 million extension fairly should be regarded at best as a five-year, $50 million contract, giving Marshall a $10 million annual average that matches the yearly total paid to Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

Now for the truth.

For starters, the full contract is worth $47.3 million over five years. It contains a phony $2.7 million roster bonus payable in 2014 -- but only if Marshall participates in 95 percent or more of the Dolphins' special teams plays in 2010.

Why would this be included? To allow Marshall and his agent to characterize the contract as a package worth $10 million per year. Truth be told, it's worth $9.46 million annually.

(That may not seem like much of a difference, but the phantom roster bonus allows Marshall and his agent, Kennard McGuire, to claim with a straight face that Marshall is getting $10 million per year.)

Then there's the notion that the Dolphins would pay $24 million in guaranteed money to a guy with a history of off-field incidents. Surely, V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells hasn't lost his mind, right?

He hasn't. (Or, more accurately, if he has, this isn't proof of it.)

With the 2009 decision in the Plaxico Burress grievance that signing bonus money can be recovered only if the player holds out or retires, a $20 million signing bonus would have been untouchable, even if Marshall had been suspended for a year or longer. So the Dolphins instead have paid out a signing bonus of $5.5 million. Coupled with a guaranteed base salary (for skill and injury) of $4 million in 2010, Marshall's contract has a minimum value of $9.5 million over one year.

Here's the kicker. If the Dolphins decide before April 2, 2011 that Marshall isn't who they thought he was, they can walk away, possibly without paying Marshall another penny. Prior to April 2, 2011, he has only $3 million in future guaranteed money that already has been unlocked. But the contract contains offset language; if they cut him and someone else pays him $3 million in 2011, the Dolphins are off the hook for the balance of the contract.

And even if the Dolphins pay a $3 million option bonus due on April 2, 2011, guaranteed base salaries of $6.5 million in 2011 and $6 million in 2012 (he also has $3 million in non-guaranteed base pay in 2012) can be nullified if Marshall is suspended by the league.

So, for now, the only guaranteed money is $12.5 million, with an offset for up to $3 million. If the Dolphins decided to keep him past April 2, 2011, another $9.5 million in guaranteed base salaries will be available -- as long as Marshall stays out of trouble.

These facts are another reason why it's always dangerous to accept at face value the numbers that the player's camp begins to parrot as soon as the deal is signed.

The problem is that the agent has an incentive to get a skewed version of the contract into the media, the team rarely is willing to say anything that would dampen the "highest paid player!" parade, and the reporter who gets the information often is so determined to be first that the question of whether or not the information is accurate often gets lost in the shuffle. (And, yes, we've done that once or twice -- and we hope that we have learned from it.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...marshall-deal/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The truth on the Brandon Marshall deal
Posted by Mike Florio on April 17, 2010 5:57 PM ET

Now that NBC has produced and aired a commercial that makes us look a lot better at this than we really are, we need to periodically put something up here that justifies the characterization.

So here's one to consider.

Many of you have wondered how and why the Miami Dolphins could have made Brandon Marshall the highest-paid receiver in NFL history. The easy answer, as we pointed out the other day, is that they didn't -- his widely-reported four-year, $47.5 million extension fairly should be regarded at best as a five-year, $50 million contract, giving Marshall a $10 million annual average that matches the yearly total paid to Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

Now for the truth.

For starters, the full contract is worth $47.3 million over five years. It contains a phony $2.7 million roster bonus payable in 2014 -- but only if Marshall participates in 95 percent or more of the Dolphins' special teams plays in 2010.

Why would this be included? To allow Marshall and his agent to characterize the contract as a package worth $10 million per year. Truth be told, it's worth $9.46 million annually.

(That may not seem like much of a difference, but the phantom roster bonus allows Marshall and his agent, Kennard McGuire, to claim with a straight face that Marshall is getting $10 million per year.)

Then there's the notion that the Dolphins would pay $24 million in guaranteed money to a guy with a history of off-field incidents. Surely, V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells hasn't lost his mind, right?

He hasn't. (Or, more accurately, if he has, this isn't proof of it.)

With the 2009 decision in the Plaxico Burress grievance that signing bonus money can be recovered only if the player holds out or retires, a $20 million signing bonus would have been untouchable, even if Marshall had been suspended for a year or longer. So the Dolphins instead have paid out a signing bonus of $5.5 million. Coupled with a guaranteed base salary (for skill and injury) of $4 million in 2010, Marshall's contract has a minimum value of $9.5 million over one year.

Here's the kicker. If the Dolphins decide before April 2, 2011 that Marshall isn't who they thought he was, they can walk away, possibly without paying Marshall another penny. Prior to April 2, 2011, he has only $3 million in future guaranteed money that already has been unlocked. But the contract contains offset language; if they cut him and someone else pays him $3 million in 2011, the Dolphins are off the hook for the balance of the contract.

And even if the Dolphins pay a $3 million option bonus due on April 2, 2011, guaranteed base salaries of $6.5 million in 2011 and $6 million in 2012 (he also has $3 million in non-guaranteed base pay in 2012) can be nullified if Marshall is suspended by the league.

So, for now, the only guaranteed money is $12.5 million, with an offset for up to $3 million. If the Dolphins decided to keep him past April 2, 2011, another $9.5 million in guaranteed base salaries will be available -- as long as Marshall stays out of trouble.

These facts are another reason why it's always dangerous to accept at face value the numbers that the player's camp begins to parrot as soon as the deal is signed.

The problem is that the agent has an incentive to get a skewed version of the contract into the media, the team rarely is willing to say anything that would dampen the "highest paid player!" parade, and the reporter who gets the information often is so determined to be first that the question of whether or not the information is accurate often gets lost in the shuffle. (And, yes, we've done that once or twice -- and we hope that we have learned from it.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...marshall-deal/
I'd very much like to know how the Bronco's offer compares to this contract. The Broncos guaranteed $9.5 a year but were there strings attached? Interesting.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

This should be a good thread.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

thread must die...
Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Here's the truth. (:eyeroll) Florio's an idiot. Sure, there's some language that if Marshall runs naked out into traffic he only gets 12 million guaranteed. But in all likelihood he'll get all the "guaranteed" money.

I'm sure NBC is proud to prop Florio's cutting edge analysis: "Marshall not really highest paid wide receiver, technically. Sort of. Maybe."
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Brandon simply didn't want to be here anymore. I find it kind of funny though. We sent Cutler to his childhood team in the Bears and then send Marshall home to Florida.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Brandon's happier now. Hopefully, he's so happy he starts sucking on the field. I'd luv to see him 'take some time off and dog it.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

He'll get the whole $50m. Make no bones about it. He's a happy rich man!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
He'll get the whole $50m. Make no bones about it. He's a happy rich man!
um, yah, unless he starts tappin some other hot ass beeeotch who he sees on the beach. yah, that kind of behavior elicits jealous woman rage and then guess what...
Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Yeah... Sorry Hamrob, but Marshall isn't going to be playing much STs, let alone 95% of the time!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
bombay
Ring of Famer

Miami left themselves a lot of outs. Smart contract structure.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Miami left themselves a lot of outs. Smart contract structure.
Except nowhere does it say if marshall ****s up that we have to give back our 2 second rounders.

He's their worry now.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Except nowhere does it say if marshall ****s up that we have to give back our 2 second rounders.

He's their worry now.
And our headache every time we have to play the phins. This really sucks. I think Clady is now our best offensive player now. Enjoy him while you can folks. He'll be gone next year.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

I couldnt live off 12.5 million, me and brandon will have to file welfare so maybe one day we live above the poverty level!
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

He's gone. He's no longer a Bronco so I don't really care what the specifics of the deal are with the Dolphins. Just like I don't care how Cutler does in Chicago. My only concern is for Broncos players.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Who even cares what his contract is? Does it matter? Broncos offered something close to that last yr Marshall didn't want to be in Denver. He had to testify against known local gang member, one of his teammates got murdered and he close to that, it could have been him. I think he wanted out of Denver and the Broncos and Marshall did there best to now come out and say why. The real reason is the trial, the murder, the history of the city. Marshall just didn't want to live in Denver any longer.

Sure the contract made it all froth up to the forefront but IMO Marshall just wanted out.

So who cares what he got, what happens to him, or whose fault it was. I don't even get attached these players anymore. I root for the uniform, the horse on the helmet, the Denver Broncos. I could care less really about the players anymore.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
He's gone. He's no longer a Bronco so I don't really care what the specifics of the deal are with the Dolphins. Just like I don't care how Cutler does in Chicago. My only concern is for Broncos players.
It's like everyone of your posts last day or so just been spot on. It's about the team I love. The players I love only as long as the don the Orange and Blue. When they move on I could care less about them until they play Denver.

It just doesn't matter anymore. I just want to see who we draft....Then we have some new Broncos to pull for.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
And our headache every time we have to play the phins. This really sucks. I think Clady is now our best offensive player now. Enjoy him while you can folks. He'll be gone next year.
I bet you are wrong. I bet Broncos eventually sign both Doom and Clady long term. Neither Cutler or Marshall acted like a team player. Doom and Clady haven't pulled crap on near the level those 2 did.

I think Broncos will make some investments into the future of the team after the CBA gets done next yr.

Also the fins totally own us. Have you checked the history there? We have one good win vs them and that was in playoffs on way to Superbowl. Other then that Marino owned us, and they have owned us since Elway retired.

I can't imagine that could get much worst.

Also I think Marshall a tad over rated. His incredibly physical but does drop some balls and is horrid at catching the ball with his back to the QB. He pretty much has to square up which was his knock coming out of college. True he overcame that by being bigger and more physical then whose gaurding him. But he does take a pounding and seems to sort of stink by the end of the yr. Marshall never really dominated in the games we needed him to.

In fact last yr I thought it almost looked like he was intentionally playing like crap late in the yr. Probably was just worn out, but when you pull stuff like Marshall has people have to wonder.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Every time a player leaves, we have to hear comparisons, updates on their social lives, and what-ifs for YEARS after. WHY? Holy crap.. he is GONE. Gone gone gone.. done deal, who cares. I loved Marshall's talents, I badly wanted to keep him. But as soon as the deal was inked, this is no longer a concern to me, as it means nothing. I don't care if he does awesome, if he sucks, or if he is abducted by aliens.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I find it kind of funny though. We sent Cutler to his childhood team in the Bears and then send Marshall home to Florida.
Instead we should have sent McD home to his childhood team... Canton McKinley High School...
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #21
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Marshall is a very happy football player these days he has his big contract money is playing football in south florida and there are no gangs in this area. Life outside of football is also so much easier and less complicated in this area of the country.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #22
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Only if he disrespects the franchise, his employers and his team-mates like the last 2 did.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #23
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Here's the truth. (:eyeroll) Florio's an idiot. Sure, there's some language that if Marshall runs naked out into traffic he only gets 12 million guaranteed. But in all likelihood he'll get all the "guaranteed" money.

I'm sure NBC is proud to prop Florio's cutting edge analysis: "Marshall not really highest paid wide receiver, technically. Sort of. Maybe."
Florio is an idiot about a lot of things, and he certainly seems to have some kind of irrational beef with the Broncos, but he does know the contracts side of things ......bottom line, Brandon must behave. Truly guaranteed money is money that the team has to pay out even if Brandon is in Jail a year later, like a signing bonus. If there's any kind of get-out clause for the team its not guaranteed.

Kind of like a 12-month tenancy agrement with a 6-month break clause. That's really a 6-month contract.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #24
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This only confirms the fact that Marshall had to sign a very conditional contract. He might like to say the past is the past, however teams want him to prove it.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote