The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default McDaniels: "We look at all our draft picks on a two year scale"

Listening to the McDaniels press conference and I found this particularly interesting and odd that no one has covered it. McDaniels says several times they make all their picks based on what type of player they think that player can be in two years and draft according.

It might seem like no big deal, but it represents a clear somewhat unusual departure from many draft day battle plans. A lot of teams look for immediate impact starters in round one. Future starting reserves and incredibly athletic project players in round two and three and so forth.

This is critical to predicting how we are going to draft because it essentially means Denver puts a premium on players' ability to play in our system and on having a high proverbial "ceiling."

This explains picks like McBath and Smith whereby they believe that they will really blossom in years two and three.

Now does that justify those picks? Not necessarily, but it at least explains where we're coming from and how we're looking at things. The fact that they put an emphasis on system compatibility also explains the comparatively shorter draft board.

I guess it's one of those things that we'll need another few years to really evaluate how this plan works, probably moreso than others.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
extralife
Ring of Famer

translation: "our '09 draft sucked on purpose dawg just you wait. and oh yeah, don't expect anything from those picks we got for Marshall."
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

It's a very smart approach and I like it. And I think you meant Ayers and Smith? McBath saw more playing time than both of them combined and had a fantastic rookie campaign that more than justified his selection.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I really am getting the feeling we'll reach on Sean Weatherspoon in round one. And i have a feeling that he'll be an Al Wilson-esque fan favorite. The more I watch of this guy, the more I like him. I cant imagine he'll be a bust. Plus, when McD mentioned him in the press conference, he got a hard on.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Listening to the McDaniels press conference and I found this particularly interesting and odd that no one has covered it. McDaniels says several times they make all their picks based on what type of player they think that player can be in two years and draft according.

It might seem like no big deal, but it represents a clear somewhat unusual departure from many draft day battle plans. A lot of teams look for immediate impact starters in round one. Future starting reserves and incredibly athletic project players in round two and three and so forth.

This is critical to predicting how we are going to draft because it essentially means Denver puts a premium on players' ability to play in our system and on having a high proverbial "ceiling."

This explains picks like McBath and Smith whereby they believe that they will really blossom in years two and three.

Now does that justify those picks? Not necessarily, but it at least explains where we're coming from and how we're looking at things. The fact that they put an emphasis on system compatibility also explains the comparatively shorter draft board.

I guess it's one of those things that we'll need another few years to really evaluate how this plan works, probably moreso than others.
Good perception Khan. PM Mock with this will ya.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Good perception Khan. PM Mock with this will ya.
Whats the point...this will be mock's response.

Raccoons have purple featherz. Beavis eats alligator nails. Pieces of grass make my carpet sneeze. Milkshake.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post

Raccoons have purple featherz. Beavis eats alligator nails. Pieces of grass make my carpet sneeze. Milkshake.

You hit that nail on the head.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

Ya it does look like some gray matter synapse misfiring going with poor old Mock

Think they call it wet brain.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Which translates I'd rather reach for need then BPA approach. We'll see what happens.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Which translates I'd rather reach for need then BPA approach.
How do you possibly figure that? Especially considering with how he drafted last year
Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:

Just add a "buy a clue" in there & it's perfect.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Which translates I'd rather reach for need then BPA approach. We'll see what happens.
More like: Players are drafted for more than their rookie seasons. Anyone who writes off a draft or a player after one year is a moron.

And Ayers was always considered a project anyway, so I do love to see all the posts that whine about what he did last year.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

When Denver's scouts evaluate prospects in-person, they are also writing their reports based on their two-year projection. It's not just the front office that is utilizing this approach.
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I read this as "until Jarvis Moss has 2 years under my program, he is still on the roster."

Kidding. I guess since Jarvis already got paid we may as well see if He CAN develope, at least until his contract is out.

On the other hand it is a sensible approach. But hardly any high round picks for any NFL team ever get cut after only one season. The only difference is that he is saying he won't necessarily take BPA, if it doesn't fit the teams needs, rather he might go after someone that won't pay immediate dividends, but should after 1 or two full years. Kind of a long term view....hope he actually does well enough to be here after 3 years are done.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

What happens if there is a lock out next year?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
What happens if there is a lock out next year?
There will still be a draft if that's what you're asking.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Just add a "buy a clue" in there & it's perfect.
Almost as good as "STFU nitwit"
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #18
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

The only pick the Broncos made in '09 that I had a beef with was Richard Quinn. McDaniels stresses the importance of versatility and I don't think Quinn did enough as an overall tight end to justify the investment.

It's easier to teach a run blocker how to catch than vice versa so I can see the argument for taking him.

It seems like every NFL team has tried turn some stud pass receiver into a blocker at TE and it's rarely worked out. Meanwhile, guys like Jason Dunn have carved out nice careers just doing the dirty work inside.

Run blocking is a lost art for TEs so I am keeping an open mind about Quinn.

Last edited by Bronco CB40; 04-17-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
It's a very smart approach and I like it. And I think you meant Ayers and Smith? McBath saw more playing time than both of them combined and had a fantastic rookie campaign that more than justified his selection.
Ayers too, but remember McBath wasn't supposed to play as much as he did. He was buried behind two veterans who were supposed to start all year, and the book on him coming out was he was productive and athletic but needed refining. They never meant for him to play as much as he did and be as successful in what little time he saw. That was just a bonus.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
The only difference is that he is saying he won't necessarily take BPA, if it doesn't fit the teams needs, rather he might go after someone that won't pay immediate dividends, but should after 1 or two full years.
You got the second half right. Their list of best players available is based on the players' ability to fit into their system and develop in the pros. All their picks will be BPA - for the Broncos.

I'm kind of shocked no one else is talking about the press conference he gave. It's wild the detail he went into on things. I mean at one point he basically says they will not be taking a tackle in the first two days of the draft because they like Harris and Clady. Just like that. The whole thing is full of that kind of stuff that he just puts out there, and no one on here seems to have even watched the press conference, much less talked about it.

Last edited by Kaylore; 04-17-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Old 04-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #21
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
More like: Players are drafted for more than their rookie seasons. Anyone who writes off a draft or a player after one year is a moron.

And Ayers was always considered a project anyway, so I do love to see all the posts that whine about what he did last year.
Where did I say anything about the 09 draft class?

Only thing I hated in 09 was them being unprepared disorganized and trade.

They might draft guys I'm not wild about but, that fades 2 days after draft then I hope they are great pro's for us.

I give draft picks several years to come on before I rip on them.

I was just saying if they approach drafting 2 yrs away more then instant impact types to me says they are more likely to reach/project for need vs BPA but, we'll see thursday.

Could Pierre Paul be a sleeper at 11.

I don't have not enough background on their drafts yet to get a better feel as far as our drafting.

I would go Spiller Dez or Thomas at 11 or trade down if it was me.

I could see us going C G LB at 11 very easily

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-17-2010 at 03:41 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
Soul-Bronco
Broncos 4 Life ! ! !

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You got the second half right. Their list of best players available is based on the players' ability to fit into their system and develop in the pros. All their picks will be BPA - for the Broncos.

I'm kind of shocked no one else is talking about the press conference he gave. It's wild the detail he went into on things. I mean at one point he basically says they will not be taking a tackle in the first two days of the draft because they like Harris and Clady. Just like that. The whole thing is full of that kind of stuff that he just puts out there, and no one on here seems to have even watched the press conference, much less talked about it.
Dont you know Kaylore, its not cool to talk about all the good traits Mcd has

Hes nothing but a mc poopy pants. . . . . . start a thread with the title why you hate Mcd and youll have 5 pages within the hour.

Just the way it is, kinda sad really
Soul-Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Where did I say anything about the 09 draft class?

Only thing I hated in 09 was them being unprepared disorganized and trade.

They might draft guys I'm not wild about but, that fades 2 days after draft then I hope they are great pro's for us.

I give draft picks several years to come on before I rip on them.

I was just saying if they approach drafting 2 yrs away more then instant impact types to me says they are more likely to draft for need vs BPA but, we'll see thursday.
Right but if this is their philosophy how does your hypothesis hold up to the one draft they have had? Where in last year's draft can you point them reaching for need? I will agree that they reached, but part of my frustration was that they seemed to inexplicably reach for positions that they specifically did not need.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-Bronco View Post
Dont you know Kaylore, its not cool to talk about all the good traits Mcd has

Hes nothing but a mc poopy pants. . . . . . start a thread with the title why you hate Mcd and youll have 5 pages within the hour.

Just the way it is, kinda sad really
I know what you're saying but even if I was a hater I would want to hear what he's doing. He's very specific and pretty clear. I know it's long but everyone should listen to it, if for nothing else than to hear him make of the reporter in the middle of the first half.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #25
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

If the 2009 draft picks don't look good this year it will be:

McDaniels: "We look at all our draft picks on a three year scale"
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote