The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Mayock's TOP 20

I didn't realize he had Dan Williams rated so high. It doesn't appear afterall, that he would be a reach at #11. My hope is that if we can't trade back, that our guy is either Dan Williams or Joe Haden. Big time players who play really important positions. I could live with the Spiller pick because he would bring amazing play making ability to the run/return game, but I think you could get similar production from Jahvid Best, who you could pick up in round 2. But Mayock does have him as his 5th best player so if he was there at #11, you could not argue on the BPA topic. I still think trying to move down a bit, picking up a solid OL like Iupati or Pouncey and then maybe getting Best in the 2nd with the extra pick for moving down. You're essentially getting the fast playmaker you want in Best, but you also land that awesome linman that we NEED.

1. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
McCoy is incredibly disruptive for opponents' passing games.

2. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Suh is a tremendous all-around defensive tackle.

3. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Bradford is very accurate and poised in the pocket, but his durability is a concern.

4. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Okung is a top-10 caliber left tackle, but needs more consistent technique.

5. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Spiller has the speed to go the distance and is a threat as a receiver, rusher and returner.

6. Earl Thomas, S, Texas
Thomas is the draft's most instinctive safety, but will his size limit him?

7. Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Williams can be a swing tackle, but will off-field issues affect him?

8. Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Haden has quick-twitch muscles and is great at changing direction. He is surprisingly physical.

9. Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Berry has all-pro tools, and a great all-around game.

10. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
Pierre-Paul is an explosive physical talent, but is raw and inexperienced.

11. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Bryant is reminiscent of Andre Johnson, but his off-field issues need to be qualified.

12. Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Morgan has a great motor and was very productive in college. He gets off the ball quickly.

13. Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Bulaga is a technician who was taught well by Iowa's Kirk Ferentz. His short arms are a concern.

14. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams is a massive interior presence, and has better feet than expected.

15. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Gresham is a game-breaking tight end, but the torn ACL he suffered last year needs to be qualified.

16. Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
Graham is scheme diverse, and had a great Senior Bowl week.

17. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
He can make all the NFL throws, but his intangibles need to be looked at closely.

18. Sergio Kindle, DE/LB, Texas
He is an explosive edge pass rusher as an edge defensive end/outside linebacker. He is a playmaker.

19. Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
McClain is a prototypical inside linebacker for the 3-4, and can also play the strongside.

20. Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Pouncey is a first-round center that can anchor and pull.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I don't want Haden. I know some are ready to throw in the towel on Smith, but plenty of productive players did not play well as rookies. We spent a 1st on him, so I don't want another CB. Give Smith a chance and go with OL, DL, or Spiller.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I don't want Haden. I know some are ready to throw in the towel on Smith, but plenty of productive players did not play well as rookies. We spent a 1st on him, so I don't want another CB. Give Smith a chance and go with OL, DL, or Spiller.
You're not ready to give up on smith and don't want a CB, but you are ready to give up on Moreno by wanting a RB (Spiller) There are usually 2 CB's on the field every play and sometimes 3. Usually, depending on the team, there is 1 RB on the field every play. Taking Haden is not giving up on Smith at all. It's simply a BPA thing and our CB's are not exactly young guys. I'd hate to have a chance at the best CB in the draft and not take him and 2 or 3 years later, Hill and Champ retire and we're left with moderate talent. CB is definately a very important position. Manny times they are on islands by themselves and needing to prevent a big play. You want greatness out there. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I value the CB position much more then I do LB's or S's.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You're not ready to give up on smith and don't want a CB, but you are ready to give up on Moreno by wanting a RB (Spiller) There are usually 2 CB's on the field every play and sometimes 3. Usually, depending on the team, there is 1 RB on the field every play. Taking Haden is not giving up on Smith at all. It's simply a BPA thing and our CB's are not exactly young guys. I'd hate to have a chance at the best CB in the draft and not take him and 2 or 3 years later, Hill and Champ retire and we're left with moderate talent. CB is definately a very important position. Manny times they are on islands by themselves and needing to prevent a big play. You want greatness out there. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I value the CB position much more then I do LB's or S's.
It's not the same situation. We already have Champ, Goodman, and Smith. A #4 CB is not going to see a ton of playing time. On the other hand, most teams use multiple backs now, including us (see Moreno and Buckhalter last season). You can have Spiller share carries with Moreno, but Spiller is also an excellent receiver, so both can be on the field at that same time. He is also a phenomenal return man, so you get value there. It's Spiller's versatile skill set that sets him apart from a Haden.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

HO HO HO HO HO HO HO!!!!!!!! look who is at #11

Dez makes more catches over people than Andre does... Dez makes those Fitz-esque catches. Andre is more of a burner/route runner type... however Andre can make those type of catches too... just not at the rate Dez does (in college).

Simple - everyone do this - go pull up an Andre Johnson highlight video and Dez Bryant highlight video... you'll be 10x more entertained by you know who.

The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
It's not the same situation. We already have Champ, Goodman, and Smith. A #4 CB is not going to see a ton of playing time. On the other hand, most teams use multiple backs now, including us (see Moreno and Buckhalter last season). You can have Spiller share carries with Moreno, but Spiller is also an excellent receiver, so both can be on the field at that same time. He is also a phenomenal return man, so you get value there. It's Spiller's versatile skill set that sets him apart from a Haden.
or any mere running back. That's the mistake the people that say Spiller is just a running back are making. If he was just a RB than I and many others here I suspect would not be calling for him at 11. He is a three position player. The concern is of course that that kind of talent usually has a short life span, one injury that would not affect another player that much could in the case of a player like spiller take away the fine edge that makes him special.

I'm warming up to Dez Bryant.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Simple - everyone do this - go pull up an Andre Johnson highlight video and Dez Bryant highlight video... you'll be 10x more entertained by you know who.
You're betraying your own idiocy here. Andre's appeal isn't that he is "entertaining." In fact, it is precisely his lack of flash that makes him special. He's fast, he's precise, he's open and he catches the ball.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
You're betraying your own idiocy here. Andre's appeal isn't that he is "entertaining." In fact, it is precisely his lack of flash that makes him special. He's fast, he's precise, he's open and he catches the ball.
My point was differing from what McShay was doing by comparing him to Andre Johnson...

@ my own idiocy when you couldn't see that...
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

If we don't trade down I'd be happy with either Dez or McClain. Glad to hear that Coach is pretty high on both. He also said that he liked what Williams brought but that he was happy with the depth and mixture (youth and veterans) along the DLine.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

If we like Dez's Character and think he can be Elite, I hope we take him. If not I love Earl Thomas or Rolondo McClain.
SoDak Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I really think it's going to be McClain.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I bet every single one of those players is on the Broncos board.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Spiller FTW.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I bet every single one of those players is on the Broncos board.
Ya think?

If they stay at 11, it can be either McClain or Bryant, depending on who has taken whom. If the Jags take McClain, then I think Bryant may be up. If there is a trade down that is highly beneficial, I believe McD will pull ll the trigger and we'll see who is there when they pick. To be fair, there are so many ways this draft can go, any definitive statement is probably not warranted and will probably be wrong. It is a moving target.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Any worry that Williams may be Robert ayers 2.0? One year of production only got ayers drafted high and his quiet rookie season gets him crucified on interweb message boards full of pre-cognitive super geniuses... Sorry, I digress. The question is, foes anyone worry Williams may play out like ayers rookie year did?
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'm warming up to Dez Bryant.
I am too, and what would be interesting is if the Broncos are able to trade down intent on going OG or C and he falls to us later in the 1st the way Jeremy Maclin fell last year. It's possible since he's supposedly off so many boards. Could they pass up that kind of talent later in the 1st round?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I'll be fine with Bryant, Spiller, Mcclain or Dan Williams at 11.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Great observations. It's ridiculous to take a RB in the first round. I mean that would detroit lions matt millen stooopid. RB is not a concern for Denver at all. You can always use corners who can run and cover. I really like the safety from texas because he can play corner and free safety in the NFL according to a lot of experts.

I think Broncos should go for a huge physical inside linebacker to help out DJ and Doom, a big inside olineman/center, and a WR to replace Marshall. I don't know those 3 spots will be available but I would like to see some more talent at those spots.

RB IMO Moreno and Bucky will have to get it done. We can't be spending a pick on Spiller, as good as he may be.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Maclin and Harvin fell because of "issues". They didn't turn out so bad.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Maclin and Harvin fell because of "issues". They didn't turn out so bad.
Same with Desean Jackson. Everyone here was convinced that Royal was going to be the better pick. How did that turn out?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
MangoBuffs
Just Drafted

Tulo!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Troy Tulowitzki

I don't understand why we'd take a RB in round 1.

I mean, I understand the landscape of today's NFL with needing 2 backs. But I think 2 first round picks would be overkill, and focusing too much money/effort/etc into 1 position.
MangoBuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Same with Desean Jackson. Everyone here was convinced that Royal was going to be the better pick. How did that turn out?

Eddie Royal Career stats: 128 1,325 10.4 93 5

Desean Jackson: 124 2,068 16.7 71 11

I'd say they have both been solid picks.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #23
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoBuffs View Post
I don't understand why we'd take a RB in round 1.

I mean, I understand the landscape of today's NFL with needing 2 backs. But I think 2 first round picks would be overkill, and focusing too much money/effort/etc into 1 position.
Especially when you consider that running backs have short shelf lives.

You have to admit though, Denver could use a playmaker or two, one who can score from anywhere on the field.
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Eddie Royal Career stats: 128 1,325 10.4 93 5

Desean Jackson: 124 2,068 16.7 71 11

I'd say they have both been solid picks.

2009 Stats:

Royal: 37 345 9.3 0 20 2.6 24.6

Jackson: 63 1167 18.5 9 71 4.2 77.8
Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
2009 Stats:

Royal: 37 345 9.3 0 20 2.6 24.6

Jackson: 63 1167 18.5 9 71 4.2 77.8

It happens. I think Royal has a rebound season this year.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote