The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Default When will Doom be traded

I think the real issue is no longterm deals by us. I can see this getting ugly too. I do not think for a second Doom will play on a 1 yr Tender he will hold out. Unless Doom signs longterm I will get the thought it was no longterm deals period and had nothing to do with BM antics or off the field stuff.

We all know how FO handles problems they move them. Until he signs I'll wonder.

1 and 3 expires the 16th. He can wait til June to sign a tender right.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-14-2010 at 08:48 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

...I dont think he's going anywhere.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

He's not going to play for misery money. Not after he saw what Marshall's got.
Dumervil deserves to be paid like the top players at his position.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Doom is not even close to the same situation as the other two problems Denver traded. He will get paid because he not only produces but shockingly he doesn't get arrested, doesn't **** off in practice, doesn't disrespect the team and actually finishes seasons after pro bowl voting. Funny how that works.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
He's not going to play for misery money. Not after he saw what Marshall's got.
Dumervil deserves to be paid like the top players at his position.
I agree that is why I posted this thread this is our next sticky situation.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
Doom is not even close to the same situation as the other two problems Denver traded. He will get paid because he not only produces but shockingly he doesn't get arrested, doesn't **** off in practice, doesn't disrespect the team and actually finishes seasons after pro bowl voting. Funny how that works.
I know its different in many ways but, if Bowlen doesn't want to pay a longterm deals now I doubt Doom will play on his 1 yr tender without a holdout. Its something to watch.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
So you think he plays on the cheap out of the kindness of his heart? Never mind that he has earned a generous payday denied him by the current circumstance. What a selfless guy!
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I agree that is why I posted this thread this is our next sticky situation.
My guess is that he will hold out, and then they will try to work out a deal. Hopefully sooner than later...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Doom is a pass rusher only. A very good one...that we need on our team...but, whether or not we want to pay $50m for his services or not is debatable.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
So you think he plays on the cheap out of the kindness of his heart? Never mind that he has earned a generous payday denied him by the current circumstance. What a selfless guy!
Did you bother to read what I wrote? I said he'd get paid because he's a solid player. My point is that this has nothing to do with Bowlen not wanting to pay someone, it has to do with Bowlen not wanting to pay someone that's a risk.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I know its different in many ways but, if Bowlen doesn't want to pay a longterm deals now I doubt Doom will play on his 1 yr tender without a holdout. Its something to watch.
And how many resricted free agents from other teams have been extended so far? Doom not being signed to a long term deal means absolutely nothing at this point.

The Marshall thing wasn't just about money, it was about paying a lot of guaranteed money to a guy that has a history of behavior that gets him suspended.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

He enters a contract year like just about 200 other RFAs that got screwed by the collective bargaining agreement. It sucks for him, it really does, because he has to produce for a year longer than his predecessors.

It really makes no more sense for the Broncos to give him a fat contract this year than it would to give any young player under contract. It's just not going to happen.

But I have no doubt he will produce in 2010 and he will get a contract similar to the one Terrell Suggs signed (after the new CBS is agreed upon).

I just hope it is with the Broncos.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
Caveat Lector
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

How many RFAs got contract extensions this year?

Teams aren't signing these guys long term because of the uncertainty with the CBA, and the fact that they can most likely keep these guys for another 2 years on the cheap.

The fact that Dumervil hasn't been locked up doesn't mean that Denver 'don't do long-term deals'. If someone put an offer sheet out on Dumervil, I dare say Denver would have matched it...
Caveat Lector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
And how many resricted free agents from other teams have been extended so far? Doom not being signed to a long term deal means absolutely nothing at this point.

The Marshall thing wasn't just about money, it was about paying a lot of guaranteed money to a guy that has a history of behavior that gets him suspended.
I'm just saying its something to watch.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

No no ... the defensive guys have no problems. Champ, Woodyard, DJ, Haggan, MT, Dumervil, they're all cool despite being Shanahan players.

It's the offensive guys, Josh's purview, who are in quasi-mutiny mode.

Your question should be: When will Ryan Clady be traded?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Trade Ryan Clady for, say ... Gosder Cherilus and another 2nd round pick?

After all, Clady's game dropped off in his second year, and Ryan Harris can play left tackle.

Food for thought.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Trade Ryan Clady for, say ... Gosder Cherilus and another 2nd round pick?
How about we keep offing players until we have the ENTIRE second round of the draft?

Wouldn't THAT be exciting!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

...and the last from the historic '06 class will end ugly as well.

He's not going to sign. He won't sign the tender unless a big contract is out there, and he's not an all around OLB.

I think he'll hold out to be traded to Miami and Beavis won't do it.

Beavis hold him hostage.

Just watch.

This team is bailing like rats.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Doom is the one exception that has benefited from the regime change. Im sure he likes being utilized in a way that suits him. Its hard to imagine he would be unhappy unless he has his own interpersonal conflicts with McDonalds. But it seems more likely he is open to staying in Denver.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't see many RFA's signing because owners are concerned over the collective bargaining agreement. They aren't going to handout guaranteed money upfront and then have a guy sit out a year if there is no NFL next year(chances very slim). Has Vincent Jackson signed his deal yet?

I also could see Doom being moved after next year. This guy has high value based on his pass rushing abilities but isn't the best run stuffer. If we got a 1st and a 3rd for him I think Denver wouldn't have matched the offer sheet this year. As is he will be back with Denver on his 1 year tender and I think the odds we resign him to a quality contract are very high. The 3/4 requires good rush LB's and he is very good at that. If something can't work out he will be franchised and make about millions the year after next.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I can't tell if this thread is a joke or not.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
How about we keep offing players until we have the ENTIRE second round of the draft?

Wouldn't THAT be exciting!
Did you really just quote your own post? Talk about super lame.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
I don't see many RFA's signing because owners are concerned over the collective bargaining agreement. They aren't going to handout guaranteed money upfront and then have a guy sit out a year if there is no NFL next year(chances very slim). Has Vincent Jackson signed his deal yet?

I also could see Doom being moved after next year. This guy has high value based on his pass rushing abilities but isn't the best run stuffer. If we got a 1st and a 3rd for him I think Denver wouldn't have matched the offer sheet this year. As is he will be back with Denver on his 1 year tender and I think the odds we resign him to a quality contract are very high. The 3/4 requires good rush LB's and he is very good at that. If something can't work out he will be franchised and make about millions the year after next.
I think he'll stay a Bronco. You often hear the two most important positions in a 3-4 are the rush LB and the NT. The sack element Doom brings has a lot of value and is also not easy to replace. The biggest way you might see that is if Ayers has a good year, but even then. For what it costs in both time and money to replace Doom through the draft on a total risk puts a premium on paying him. If theyre honest, the time and money spent on replacing him through the draft and if that doesnt work, the money to replace him subsequently through free agency makes it easy to justify.

And when youre drafting a rush LB, rushing the passer is a huge element.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I can't tell if this thread is a joke or not.

Judging by your rate of posts like this that I've noticed in the last few days, you're having trouble discerning a lot these days.

If it's too complicated for you to join in a reasonable discussion, then just abstain and observe from the sidelines.

As to the OP, you're right. I brought this up in the other thread with Beantown, but to me it sees like the lack of RFA deals due to no CBA is a total BS cop out.

Tons of UFAs got new deals this year with that same lack of a CBA. RFAs aren't getting the deals, but I don't understand what's so fundamentally different between giving RFAs like Doom and Kuper real contracts like the ones we gave to Nate Jones, Jamal Williams, Jarvis Green, and Justin Bannan. The only difference is that the team has the RIGHT and CAN make the RFAs play for one more year due to the previous CBA. To me, that doesn't mean that they SHOULD hold out on all of those players and not negotiate good-faith extensions for players that have already outplayed their rookie contracts.

Orton is an exception due to the fact that he may or may not be part of the Broncos' long term plans. Clearly Kuper and Doom are.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #25
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Did you really just quote your own post? Talk about super lame.
Yeah, I do that sometimes ... but wasn't it worth it? Post 17 is pretty funny after all