The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,111

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default When was the last time we could say this?

This year we will likely field a below average offense, and an above-average defense.

It's been a LONG time. Perhaps even 1981.


Thank heavens we made those huge singings along the D-line. We will likely have a VERY good defense.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Been been dreaming of this day since 1986.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,900

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

We're building our defense around Martindale.
Our offense to be built, modified and forced to fit Orton.

Guys, to be an elite premier team in this league, you have to have premier-elite players.
We're just another average NFL team right now, whether people like it or not.
Mr. nobody is bigger than me, may have just punched his ticket out of town if he doesn't win and produce this year.
He'll be back as an assistant coach right where he belongs...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Thank heavens we made those huge singings along the D-line. We will likely have a VERY good defense.
Doubtful. Jamal Williams is nothing but a stopgap and your age in the secondary is going to be a problem.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Soul-Bronco
Broncos 4 Life ! ! !
 
Soul-Bronco's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 495

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

NE did have great defenses every SB win, keep addin talent on both sides of the ball and produce a quality TEAM!
Soul-Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,667
Default

I love defensive football...especially scoring defense. I hope we see lots of #20 and #24 running back INT's.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,683

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Jake Plummer era?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

I think the offense is going to be far superior to last year.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I think the offense is going to be far superior to last year.
True. Another year in the system should do WONDERS for Orton!
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,891

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
This year we will likely field a below average offense, and an above-average defense.

It's been a LONG time. Perhaps even 1981.


Thank heavens we made those huge singings along the D-line. We will likely have a VERY good defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Denver_Broncos_season
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 8,095
Default

2006
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
robbieopperude's Avatar
 
Shannon to Canton!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 769

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I would be shocked if we go 8-8 this year. I guess the schedule will have alot to do with it. I would think we should have swept the Raiders and Chiefs last year. This year I am putting us down for a split.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
robbieopperude's Avatar
 
Shannon to Canton!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 769

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Note: I recall some pretty good defenses during the SB years with Elway. Quality veteran DL signings were made and Mobley was a very good LB at the time.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
sixtimeseight
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
This year we will likely field a below average offense, and an above-average defense.

It's been a LONG time. Perhaps even 1981.


Thank heavens we made those huge singings along the D-line. We will likely have a VERY good defense.
2009 you ****ing moron. 20th in offense, 12th in defense.
sixtimeseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtimeseight View Post
2009 you ****ing moron. 20th in offense, 12th in defense.
hahahahaha....I may have said the following phrase before....But this time I mean it:

"That is the best/funniest thing I have read on the Mane in years"

Well played 6 x 8
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,207

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
hahahahaha....I may have said the following phrase before....But this time I mean it:

"That is the best/funniest thing I have read on the Mane in years"

Well played 6 x 8
I honestly thought this was a year old thread and was about to give props to Buff for calling it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,111

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
Note: I recall some pretty good defenses during the SB years with Elway. Quality veteran DL signings were made and Mobley was a very good LB at the time.
You guys are right ... I automatically excluded the Elway years.

And 2KB is kinda right ... we had excellent defenses under Larry Coyer. But the offense were pretty good too. Jake set a few franchise records for passing totals, and the Marine and Tatum Bell had 1000 yard seasons ... didn't we have 2 1000 yarders one year? So at least not BELOW average.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtimeseight View Post
2009 you ****ing moron. 20th in offense, 12th in defense.
Excellent, thanks! Then it's gonna be even MORESO now then, isn't it? Although that doesn't say much for Josh, as the '08 offense was far far higher ... and it says quite a lot for (the dearly departed) Mike Nolan, as the '08 defense was far far lower.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna use that more more moron!


And, while that is very funny Khan ... you're in the same boat as 6x8, what you're saying is that Josh's side was "below average" despite much higher 2008 numbers, and the departed Nolan's side was above average, despite much lower '08 numbers, and a complete scheme changeover. You guys really wanna go there?

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 04-14-2010 at 10:30 PM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,666

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,666

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Excellent, thanks! Then it's gonna be even MORESO now then, isn't it? Although that doesn't say much for Josh, as the '08 offense was far far higher ... and it says quite a lot for (the dearly departed) Mike Nolan, as the '08 defense was far far lower.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna use that more more moron! :Thumbs:


And, while that is very funny Khan, just like 6x8, what you're saying is that Josh's side was "below average," and the departed Nolan's side was abover average, despite a complete scheme changeover. You guys really wanna go there?
Why call them out for merely responding to your post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
This year we will likely field a below average offense, and an above-average defense.

It's been a LONG time. Perhaps even 1981.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer
 
21ís No Champ

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,089

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Doubtful. Jamal Williams is nothing but a stopgap and your age in the secondary is going to be a problem.
That is why we have guys like Bruton, McBath, Alphonso Smith, and Tony Carter waiting in the wings. The age in the secondary isn't that big of an issue.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,111

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Why call them out for merely responding to your post?
Because it's a message board? And I disagree with them?

And the point they're driving home runs counter to their positions re: Shanahan, Slowick, Josh and Nolan.


Funny, this was meant as a positive thread when is started ... really it was.

Then somebody called me a moron
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,030

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

None of you have any idea what will happen this season. No one does. Not even Jamie Dukes.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #23
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,207

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Because it's a message board? And I disagree with them?

And the point they're driving home runs counter to their positions re: Shanahan, Slowick, Josh and Nolan.


Funny, this was meant as a positive thread when is started ... really it was.

Then somebody called me a moron
You disagree with me on what?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #24
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
I love defensive football...especially scoring defense. I hope we see lots of #20 and #24 running back INT's.
Me too. I'd be more than happy with a premier-elite defense than a premier elite offense.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #25
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 8,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
You guys are right ... I automatically excluded the Elway years.

And 2KB is kinda right ... we had excellent defenses under Larry Coyer. But the offense were pretty good too. Jake set a few franchise records for passing totals, and the Marine and Tatum Bell had 1000 yard seasons ... didn't we have 2 1000 yarders one year? So at least not BELOW average.




Excellent, thanks! Then it's gonna be even MORESO now then, isn't it? Although that doesn't say much for Josh, as the '08 offense was far far higher ... and it says quite a lot for (the dearly departed) Mike Nolan, as the '08 defense was far far lower.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna use that more more moron!


And, while that is very funny Khan ... you're in the same boat as 6x8, what you're saying is that Josh's side was "below average" despite much higher 2008 numbers, and the departed Nolan's side was above average, despite much lower '08 numbers, and a complete scheme changeover. You guys really wanna go there?
I say 2006 with a clause, because that was such an odd year. The defense was technically better than the offense that year, but not by as much as the final stats show IMO. We certainly didn't know that the offense was going to nose dive like it did, the O was pretty good in 2005.

As for those calling out Buff for the thread. We didn't go into the season knowing the defense would out play the offense. to be honest, I'm not sure it did by much anyway, The D had some VERY bad days, and the offense had some pretty good ones.

This season were are going in with the assumption that the D will be superior to the O. Buff is right that we really haven't gone into a season thinking that will be the case in a long time.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Denver Broncos