The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Brandon Marshall: Shrewd move for Broncos; Expensive risk for Dolphins

Brandon Marshall: Shrewd move for Broncos; Expensive risk for Dolphins

Written by MC3 Sports Media
Wednesday, 14 April 2010 15:20

What is it with these "problem child" football players? Are the Manning brothers the only guys who can be upstanding citizens and also play football? Gee wiz. How does Roger Goodell get any work done? He has to spend half his time meeting with and disciplining all these misfits.

It seems that almost daily there is a football player either getting in trouble with the law or at least skirting with it. Just stop reading for a minute and count how many players you can name that have been in the news the past year for either drugs, sexual crimes, issues with guns, fights etc.... I bet you can name 10 in one minute, ready.... Go.......

.... Yeah me too, and I didn't even get to the group most recently in the news of Antonio Cromartie, Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes.

The Brandon Marshall (the latest "problem child" to make the news) trade and sign is certainly an eye opener. The Miami Dolphins paid through the roof for him in more ways than one. A $47.5 million contract extension that includes $24 million in guaranteed money. The deal includes close to $29 million in the first three years of the contract and makes Marshall the highest-paid receiver in NFL history. In addition, the Dolphins also gave up two 2nd round picks over the next two years (no small price in itself.)

The way I see it, Denver actually did a pretty good job here. Marshall was a cancer, looking for a huge payday, and one incident away from a long suspension. Although he is a great talent it wasn't going to work in Denver and every other team in the NFL knew that and had the leverage. To get two 2nd picks is doing very well under the circumstances.

The Broncos certainly seem to be operating with a plan as they are stockpiling draft picks. In a little more than a year, with a pair of blockbuster trades, Denver has recouped two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and Marshall.

There is no question about Marshall's ability. You don't have to be Bill Parcels to know that Brandon Marshall is one of the very best receivers in the game. Anyone watching the Broncos play the Colts on December 13, 2009 saw him catch an NFL record 21 passes for 200 yards. He WAS the Broncos offense.

Marshall is only 26 and in the prime of his career but a reputation of being difficult to handle and a record that has him one strike from a yearlong suspension. Marshall has had several run-ins with the law and visits to commissioner Roger Goodell's office to discuss his off-the-field behavior. He was suspended for the 2008 opener following a series of domestic disputes involving a former girlfriend.

In February, an emotional Marshall was a witness in the murder trial of Willie Clark, who was convicted in the 2007 drive-by slaying of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

I'm not suggesting that Bill Parcells doesn't know what he's doing, in fact far from it, but he's certainly gone out on a limb with this one. At least the Jets only have one year of obligation to Cromartie and Holmes. Even with the flaky Braylon Edwards they are taking it one year at a time at the moment.

Locking up that much money and those two high draft picks in someone so unstable just doesn't seem to be good business from where I sit. But I guess that's why Parcells is making the deals and I'm writing about them.

Darrelle Revis, let's see what you got because you've now got Brandon Marshall to chase around twice a year.

http://www.xtrapointfootball.com/201...-dolphins.html
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links