The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default Chaz's mock/shortlist

With so much uncertainty surrounding the #11 pick, and the cascading effect that choice will have on the rest of our draft, I decided to just list the players I like at each pick-pick some combination of them to cover our needs and I'd be happy with the draft.

#11) CJ Spiller, Mike Iupati, Rolando McClain

While unlikely, I see Spiller as a much-needed gamebreaker. And I also think it would be easy for both he and Moreno to hit 20+ touches per game with CJ's KR and receiving abilities. Bonus: Eddie would be able to focus on stepping up at WR and not have to miss plays.

Some will say 11 is too high for Iupati, and I agree that if we could trade back that would be best. But I also think that if you have a shot an all-pro level talent, at a position of need, you take that player. He is a monster, and would make some opposing DTs call in sick on sundays.

McClain is a more probable choice, and he is a rock-solid MLB. But I guess I expect more from a LB at 11...more Patrick Willis type explosiveness and playmaking. I wouldn't be upset with the pick, but I like the second round MLBs.

I didn't list Dan Williams for this reason: I'm not big on one-year wonders. I think it's more probable that he saw dollar signs than he had any major breakthrough. Doesn't seem to be the type of character McD is looking for.

43 & 45) Maurkice Pouncey, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Sean Lee, Donald Butler, Terrance Cody, Linval Joseph, Vladimir Ducasse

Obviously some of those guys would be off the board, but two nearly-consecutive picks gives us a lot of flexibility. Wouldn't be surprised to see some trades up or down made. It will be interesting to see teams maneuver for whomever is left after Thursday night and who tumbles...it always to happens to a handful.

Rounds 3 & 4) Torrell Troup, Matt Tennant/JD Walton, John Jerry, Ciron Black, Eric Decker, Alex Carrington, Cam Thomas....obviously a lot of depth from here on out...

I think we look center in round 3 if we haven't already, with Tennant being a steal. Jerry or Black would both be great additions at G. Decker will be a good value because of his foot/ankle, and I have to give him some Minnesota love-he's a good guy. I like Troup best, but Carrington and Thomas would both be good DL values as well.

Later rounds) We need a punter, and I wouldn't mind taking a look at Trindon Holliday if we don't take a Returner. Otherwise, take your pick...it's a crapshoot on day 3.

If anyone has actually taken the time to read all of this, let me know what you think! I think the Broncos have a lot of opportunities to round out the team next week, and I hope we take advantage.

Last edited by chaz; 04-14-2010 at 06:23 PM..
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

One more thing: I don't want this to turn into a CJ Spiller debate, I've commented in that thread if you'd like to debate him specifically.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Dan Williams was very good his last 2 years at Tennessee. Where are you getting 1 year wonder from?
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Dan Williams was very good his last 2 years at Tennessee. Where are you getting 1 year wonder from?
His senior campaign was miles better than any of his previous seasons...and maybe it was Kiffin's system. Or maybe he decided to turn it on when money was on the line. I don't know, and I honestly don't pretend to know.

I don't like inconsistent effort though, and i'm very wary of that. Most of the guys listed, in all rounds, are consistent producers for that very reason. Maybe just a personal preference, but I don't like making draft picks any more of a gamble than they have to be.

One of the things I like most about McD is that he doesn't stand for complacency, and I think desire to win is an underrated quality in nfl players.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

I disagree, but I'm not here to hijack your thread and turn it into a Dan Williams debate.

McClain is a safe pick, and Spiller is the most explosive player in the draft. I could live with both of those in the 1st. I love the 2nd rounders, although I don't think Tate will be there. I think Linval Joseph will be around in the 3rd, and Cam Thomas will be off the board before he is. Have you thought about Lamarr Houston as an option in the 2nd?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I disagree, but I'm not here to hijack your thread and turn it into a Dan Williams debate.

McClain is a safe pick, and Spiller is the most explosive player in the draft. I could live with both of those in the 1st. I love the 2nd rounders, although I don't think Tate will be there. I think Linval Joseph will be around in the 3rd, and Cam Thomas will be off the board before he is. Have you thought about Lamarr Houston as an option in the 2nd?
I absolutely appreciate the input on Williams.

Tate is likely a dream, but I'm always surprised at a player or two that falls. So here's hoping. In reality I think round two is the place for DL/LB/OG value.

I think Joseph and Houston both project to DE in a 3-4, correct? I like both and should have included Houston, but I do wonder how much room do we have at DE with Marcus Thomas attempting to shift over as well? I would be happy with either, but doesn't NT seem to be the bigger priority in the end?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

We need a NT for the future, but with Jamal Williams, Ronald Fields, Chris Baker all playing the position we're fine for now. Add in the fact that Bannan can swing over if needed and we're actually pretty deep there. I'd say that for now DE would be a bigger position of need. Bannan should start on one side, but Jarvis Green is most effective as a situational pass rusher. A guy like Odrick, Houston, Joseph or Alualu would fit in quite nicely at DE and could all push for a starting spot.

I don't see Marcus Thomas making it out of camp, but that's just my opinion. Round 2 is the sweet spot in this draft because of the quality at Dline and Oline there. Like you said, a player always drops out of the first round, and the new format of having a night for teams to process and re-evaluate make those 2nd rounders even more valuable. My guess is that Scheff is on the way out now for a 4th or 5th, or a move up in the 2nd or 3rd round from our current spots.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I would suggest Cook, a C from NM might be available in the third or fourth.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont think spiller even falls to us. Some teams seem to think he's the next Chris Johnson. I bet he goes top 10
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dont think spiller even falls to us. Some teams seem to think he's the next Chris Johnson. I bet he goes top 10
You could be right but its doubtful teams drafting in the top 10 will take him. Teams drafting in the top 10 are usually need/critical position focused. Theyre usually missing a LT, QB, WR, DE, DT, or CB. Chris Johnson was taken in the 20s, so the team he went to was more solid than the teams you see in the top 10 and that also is partly why they have been able to utilize him.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: