The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Opinions on Golden Tate?

OK, I didn't watch much Irish football this year so my opinion is based on a few highlights. There are lots of opinions on this guy, but when I see him he reminds me of a Hines Ward type of player. Has a knack for getting open, plays smart, adds intangibles.

Did anyone watch him this year, what do you think about dropping a second rounder on him? (Or are you looking for a big guy like Benn to replace Marshall?)
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I like him alot and rank him 2 in wide receivers. I think he compares to Steve Smith of Panthers. If the Broncos trade down with the Eagle for 24 and 36 picks would be a good pick with either pick.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I don't like him as pro at all. I think he going to struggle to beat the press and will have problems with separation from pro CBs. At best I think he is slot possession receiver, which is not what this team needs.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
I like him alot and rank him 2 in wide receivers. I think he compares to Steve Smith of Panthers. If the Broncos trade down with the Eagle for 24 and 36 picks would be a good pick with either pick.
Agree 100% with the Steve Smith comparison. Tate is one of my favorite players in this draft. Former running back who is explosive after the catch and on returns. Tremendously strong lower body to run through tackles. Plays much bigger than he is due to great leaping ability, tremendous ability to point the ball at it's highest point and incredibly strong hands. Great at getting open when the play breaks down. A little raw as a route runner as he has only been a receiver for three years but improving in this area. Gonna be a steal for someone at the top of the 2nd.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Watch the highlight films of Tate. He almost always catches the ball with his body, and not his hands. I like him, but this could be a problem at the next level.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I have mixed emotions, but at the end of the day he looks like a quicker than fast WR who is going to be relying a lot on his cuts and double moves to get open and not someone who will consistently be a threat on the outside. He does remind me to some extend of Eddie Royal, but not quite as strong in the upper body.

He could very well become a decent pro, but he doesn't fit our profile for what we need to add, he doesn't have the sideline and deep ball skills and the size to outmuscle defenders on short routes.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

golden tate is a playmaker...plain and simple...

i watched him carry the ND offense at times the last couple years...

the ones of you comparing him to steve smith are right on the money...

as a converted RB he excels with the ball in his hands and has deep speed with 4.45 40...

he did it all at ND...caught short passes, beat corners deep, and even ran wildcat...

i'd take him over 10 dez bryants...

Last edited by Gcver2ver3; 04-19-2010 at 12:15 PM..
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Benn>Tate.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
He could very well become a decent pro, but he doesn't fit our profile for what we need to add, he doesn't have the sideline and deep ball skills and the size to outmuscle defenders on short routes.
i completely disagree...

he caught plenty deep balls in college and he was able to get separation as well...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
golden tate is a playmaker...plain and simple...

i watched him carry the ND offense at times the last couple years...

the ones of you comparing him to steve smith are right on the money...

as a converted RB he excels with the ball in his hands and has deep speed with 4.45 40...

he did it all at ND...caught short passes, beat corners deep, and even ran wildcat...

i'd take him over 10 dez bryants...

How in the world can you compare a college player that is not even in the NFL to an all pro, game changing WR with 10 years of experience, 574 receptions over 8300 yards and 50 TD's to his credit... you guys are out of you freekin minds.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Dez, Thomas, Tate with our first 3 picks and noone will miss Marshall! Lol
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
How in the world can you compare a college player that is not even in the NFL to an all pro, game changing WR with 10 years of experience, 574 receptions over 8300 yards and 50 TD's to his credit... you guys are out of you freekin minds.
thats not what people mean...no one is saying he is steve smith...but they have similar skill sets...

thats very common when grading out prospects...scouts and analyst will compare a pro player to that of the college player to give everyone an idea of what the prospect's skill set is...

scouts have compared tate to steve smith for months now...just comparing how he plays...
Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
On the contrary, Clausen was told to throw the ball up to him on deep routes even when he was covered precisely because he was able to outleap, and outmuscle defenders. Add that to his explosiveness on screens and short routes and he is exactly what we need.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Watch the highlight films of Tate. He almost always catches the ball with his body, and not his hands. I like him, but this could be a problem at the next level.

Glad someone else saw that too! I really like the player, but I've noticed this as well and it's bugged me. He's not going to have as much separation with NFL DBs and a lot those balls he's letting into his body are going to be dislodged by a defender.

Don't know if it's b/c Clausen isn't a good passer or something, but to me it looks like trouble. But man, he does nice things with the ball in his hands. I wouldn't mind him if he's still around at 43/45, but most mocks have him getting drafted quite a bit earlier than that.
s0phr0syne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Glad someone else saw that too! I really like the player, but I've noticed this as well and it's bugged me. He's not going to have as much separation with NFL DBs and a lot those balls he's letting into his body are going to be dislodged by a defender.

Don't know if it's b/c Clausen isn't a good passer or something, but to me it looks like trouble. But man, he does nice things with the ball in his hands. I wouldn't mind him if he's still around at 43/45, but most mocks have him getting drafted quite a bit earlier than that.
He is still a little raw as a WR but really improved in this area as this past season went along. He has amazingly strong hands. When he became the focus of the offense when Floyd went down, the improvement was phenomenal.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Sorry, not meaning to derail the thread, but I can't help but call him Golden Taint. For that reason, I hope we don't sign him.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I like Golden Tate a lot.

He reminds me of Hines Ward....you could hit both in the head with a ball bat and they would get up smiling.

Tate also reminds a lot of people of Steve Smith (Panthers).

When he gets the ball in his hands he turns into a RB.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He's not bad. I think he could be solid. High floor, not so high ceiling.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

The Broncos have worked around 10 WRs, Tate is not one of them. I don't know if they have much interest. I see him as a slot, which is what Eddie is. Perhaps McD agrees
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #20
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

the guy cannot beat the jam.....it doesn't bode well for him.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #21
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
The Broncos have worked around 10 WRs, Tate is not one of them. I don't know if they have much interest. I see him as a slot, which is what Eddie is. Perhaps McD agrees
Or, perhaps, McD got all the info he needed on him as a person from his buddy Weiss?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
the guy cannot beat the jam.....it doesn't bode well for him.
Don't know where you get this. He is extremely physical. He is a little over 5'10" but not small (200 lbs.) and his experience as a running back makes him very tough to jam.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #23
meangene
Ring of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...0/Good-as-Gold
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #24
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
Don't know where you get this. He is extremely physical. He is a little over 5'10" but not small (200 lbs.) and his experience as a running back makes him very tough to jam.
watch the games....when good teams jammed him at the line, how did he do?

Strength means nothing with the jam....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #25
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
watch the games....when good teams jammed him at the line, how did he do?

Strength means nothing with the jam....
I've seen every game he played in college. Teams tried everything to shut him down and could not do it. Jamming him, doubling him, playing off, etc. - nothing worked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: