The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Here's an odd stat: in the Broncos 8 wins last year...

Marshall didn't have a single 100 yard game.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

he was too busy helping out the defense?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAmbiguous View Post
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I don't think this "odd stat" considers how difficult 100 yard games are for receivers...

Brandon's in rare air through-out his career so far and still has only had 10 100 yard games (1 200 yard game). 4 wins and 6 losses through those games... which doesn't mean too much because throwing the ball heavily in games enough to give a single receiver over 100 yards usually means you're trying to play catch-up...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Are we talking about 100 yards exactly or something?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
who is throwing the ball?..Tom Brady??
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

And do you suppose Indianapolis' coaching staff was curled in the fetal position with the blinds drawn after his record-setting performance last season? They must have been reeling with embarrassment while we were on the flight back to Denver, right?

The bottom line is that while I wouldn't have made some of the moves the team has made the last eighteen months, all will be good if they result in wins. When they were 6-0, McDaniels was looking like he was going to be coach of the year. Then they went 2-8, and everybody "knew all along" that it was somehow smoke and mirrors.

Marshall, by himself, couldn't win us games. Cutler isn't winning games to this point. I'd pee on a sparkplug if it would somehow help us get to 12-4. I'm a Bronco fan, at the end of the day. I'm willing to stay optimistic.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
And do you suppose Indianapolis' coaching staff was curled in the fetal position with the blinds drawn after his record-setting performance last season? They must have been reeling with embarrassment while we were on the flight back to Denver, right?

The bottom line is that while I wouldn't have made some of the moves the team has made the last eighteen months, all will be good if they result in wins. When they were 6-0, McDaniels was looking like he was going to be coach of the year. Then they went 2-8, and everybody "knew all along" that it was somehow smoke and mirrors.

Marshall, by himself, couldn't win us games. Cutler isn't winning games to this point. I'd pee on a sparkplug if it would somehow help us get to 12-4. I'm a Bronco fan, at the end of the day. I'm willing to stay optimistic.
+1 Rep!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
I also noticed that in 7 of our 8 wins, we scored more points than our opponents in regulation.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Nice stat and I agree with Dombronco... but 100 yard receiving games are kinda overrated. Would you rather have a guy with 7 catches 100 yards 0 TD or 12 catches 93 yards and 1 TD?
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I also noticed that in 7 of our 8 wins, we scored more points than our opponents in regulation.
In fact we are unbeaten over the last 6 years when outscoring our opponents.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

He also had five touchdowns.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Yeah, 5 TDs in those 8 games speaks more than yardage.

And against Dallas he did have 90-something yards, and won the game basically singlehandedly, when trailing in the 4th quarter, he snatched a 3rd down interception out of Terrance Newman's hands and jetted off on one of the greatest broken-field touchdown runs in franchise history.

Didn't get 100 yards maybe, but he won the game for us.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yeah, 5 TDs in those 8 games speaks more than yardage.

And against Dallas he did have 90-something yards, and won the game basically singlehandedly, when trailing in the 4th quarter, he snatched a 3rd down interception out of Terrance Newman's hands and jetted off on one of the greatest broken-field touchdown runs in franchise history.

Didn't get 100 yards maybe, but he won the game for us.
That game was tied at the time. Denver was driving with ease at midfield.

Dallas drive at the end of the game to the 1 yard line.

Great, exciting, play by Marshall, but Champ won that game for us.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post

Dallas drive at the end of the game to the 1 yard line.

Great, exciting, play by Marshall, but Champ won that game for us.
BM played at least a big of a role as Champ in winning that one. Ohh well, I really hope we get someone that can replace him.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post

but Champ won that game for us.
Driving with ease?! Dude it was just the 3rd play of the drive ferhevvinsake.

I was wrong about it being 3rd down, but it WAS the game-winning score (and that's a fact), and it ALSO avoided a Terrence Newman interception.

And I hate to douse yet another of your claims, but Champ's (great) interception came much earlier, just TWO MINUTES INTO THE 2nd HALF. And it was on THIRD DOWN! So without it, it would've been 4th down, and the best the Cowboys would've done there is a field goal. And then .... same result! Marshall's TD would've won the game 17-13, not 17-10

It's all right here: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200910...ost-playbyplay

Sheesh, he's gone, fine. But don't twist and contort to steal his thunder .... at least give the kid his due. He won the game. Period.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

You guys act like one guy can win a game for a team. There's really only one player I've seen do that and it's Elway and he still needed the rest of the team to get something right. Marshall never won us a game, he just did his job when the opportunity arose. Much like Stokely in the Cincy game. The one thing our WR's did for us last year was save Orton's ass on several occassions. But you can say that about the defense too.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Give Marshall his due. On Sundays he is worth a top 5 pick in any draft. The problem is any day not on Sunday the dude is worth a 4th rounder at best. On Sundays he is typically one of the two or three best players on the entire field. Give hims some credit.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
Give Marshall his due. On Sundays he is worth a top 5 pick in any draft. The problem is any day not on Sunday the dude is worth a 4th rounder at best. On Sundays he is typically one of the two or three best players on the entire field. Give hims some credit.
its not so much because of marshall, just when the entire team gets the ball, they win. no one denies marshalls ability, some doubt he is as great as his contract says (theres atleast 5 better WR, but marshall has the ability to turn a play into something great unlike anyone in the NFL)
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #20
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Driving with ease?! Dude it was just the 3rd play of the drive ferhevvinsake.

I was wrong about it being 3rd down, but it WAS the game-winning score (and that's a fact), and it ALSO avoided a Terrence Newman interception.

And I hate to douse yet another of your claims, but Champ's (great) interception came much earlier, just TWO MINUTES INTO THE 2nd HALF. And it was on THIRD DOWN! So without it, it would've been 4th down, and the best the Cowboys would've done there is a field goal. And then .... same result! Marshall's TD would've won the game 17-13, not 17-10

It's all right here: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200910...ap/tab:analyze

Sheesh, he's gone, fine. But don't twist and contort to steal his thunder .... at least give the kid his due. He won the game. Period.
Talk about twisting things. Champ was the hero because he knocked down 2 straight passes to Hurd, a 3rd down and a 4th down to end the game...in the endzone.

Yes it was a game winning score, but it wasn't a walk off or anything. Denver wasn't losing, it wasn't some great comeback. It wasn't even a 3rd down. It wasn't even a 2nd down, it was 1st down after a great Moreno run. I said it was an awesome play, I won't refute that, but people keep saying he won that game for us. He didn't.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would say on more than one occasion throughout his career the difference between Marshall and an average WR has won us a game. Consider that most WR's don't break multiple tackles on there way to long TD runs or snatch balls out of the air that should be Int's. Marshall does that. Whats next that Polamalu doesn't make a difference for the Steelers. It is the combination of the right players who make a difference and the right scheme that make teams perennial SB contenders.

I will note that it is my belief that it all starts with OL and QB play. If you can protect your QB and you have a really good one he will make the players around him better. I think McD realizes this. We just don't have a good enough QB yet. Oh how I hope Quinn pans out or we somehow get Claussen this year.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
In fact we are unbeaten over the last 6 years when outscoring our opponents.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm not going to say he didn't help us, but Marshall is notorious for having his best games in losing causes. He has said this goes back to high school. Some players are winners and Marshall isn't.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #24
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
its not so much because of marshall, just when the entire team gets the ball, they win. no one denies marshalls ability, some doubt he is as great as his contract says (theres atleast 5 better WR, but marshall has the ability to turn a play into something great unlike anyone in the NFL)
Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson are the only two who I can say our better than B.Marsh. Wayne, V.Jackson, Calvin Johnson, G.Jennings are right up there too. Then Moss, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Ocho Cinco. Then you have D.Jackson, Welker, Boldin, Colston, S.Rice, M.Austin.

I can't see anyway you can say at least 5 our better.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #25
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm not going to say he didn't help us, but Marshall is notorious for having his best games in losing causes. He has said this goes back to high school. Some players are winners and Marshall isn't.
WR's best games will always be in losses because teams that are winning don't pass nearly as much in the 2nd half. They play field position, manage the time, and run the football.

I would like to see what his first half stats are when the game isn't in catchup mode.

I feel WR's make there presence felt most in three ways. 3rd down receptions for 1st downs, TD receptions inside the ten yard line, and receptions for more than 20 yards.